I want to replace the stock pickups in my les paul studio.
I have a mesa roadking.

This is the tone i'm trying to capture:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PgxBWhvExw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkRxjrlgzp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_bbrNUsL2U

I thought about buying the Gibson 500t/496r that come in the explorers because i liked the way they sounded. But i'm worried about them getting muddy at c tuning
How much could you pay?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Warpigs are 190 uncovered, 220 covered.
That's in pounds sterling.
To US dollars, 263 uncovered and 304 covered.

That's the price for a calibrated set, NOT individual.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Ok cool,thats pretty awesome that you can pick the magnet material for the pickup.
At the risk of sounding generic, you definitly might investigate active pickups for d-tuned metal. I think they do wonders for keeping your tone tight compared to lots of hot active pickups. Not that passive pickups are bad. Barknuckels are supposedly good, along with Swineshead. I personally have tried Swineshead pickups, and have a set of their X-Buckers. They're pretty great for metal; nice and tight, yet organic sounding. Very focused, very powerful.

As far as actives, EMG's running at 18 volts is an option.
Quote by lumberjack
At the risk of sounding generic, you definitly might investigate active pickups for d-tuned metal. I think they do wonders for keeping your tone tight compared to lots of hot active pickups. Not that passive pickups are bad. Barknuckels are supposedly good, along with Swineshead. I personally have tried Swineshead pickups, and have a set of their X-Buckers. They're pretty great for metal; nice and tight, yet organic sounding. Very focused, very powerful.

As far as actives, EMG's running at 18 volts is an option.

the 18v wouldnt be good for a black tone, youd want it to be as compressed as possible
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
the 18v wouldnt be good for a black tone, youd want it to be as compressed as possible

But you get better attack and string presence/individuality with the 18 volt mod. If you want compressed just run your guitar through a compressor and an OD and you'll be set. Aye? Nay?

I played some emgs through a line 6 they sounded really good with distortion.Cleans were pretty good with a bit of reverb.People say the cleans sound really bad,but when i turned the volume knob down about halfway it sounded fine.
Quote by lumberjack
But you get better attack and string presence/individuality with the 18 volt mod. If you want compressed just run your guitar through a compressor and an OD and you'll be set. Aye? Nay?

compressor would defeat the purpose of the 18v mod, just make it sound like any old EMG again
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Black Metal? Honestly

Treble:10
Gain:10
Mids:0
Bass:0

That's THE black metal tone. Just play a bunch of minor chords.
Quote by llanafreak44
Black Metal? Honestly

Treble:10
Gain:10
Mids:0
Bass:0

That's THE black metal tone. Just play a bunch of minor chords.

This made my day.
Quote by tpcjames111
I played some emgs through a line 6 they sounded really good with distortion.Cleans were pretty good with a bit of reverb.People say the cleans sound really bad,but when i turned the volume knob down about halfway it sounded fine.

Bull****.
Line six amps make everything sound the same.

If you want actives, go with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They are /a lot/ better than EMGs.

Otherwise,
Dimarzio Distortion pickups or Seymour Duncan Invader/Dimebucker/Screamin' Demon.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Anybody played those emg x's yet there supposed to sound more organic. Btw this was supposed to be pickup recommendations not why you don't like emg's.
Quote by Emoishboy
Line six amps make everything sound the same.

No.

Quote by Emoishboy
If you want actives, go with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They are /a lot/ better than EMGs.

No.

Quote by Emoishboy
Dimebucker

No.