So in the guitar FAQ on here, they have listed that the amp is 80-95% of the tone, and I've seen people mention if you're buying a new guitar and amp for lets say $1,000, the split ammount should be like $350-400 on guitar and $600-650 on the amp.

So even with all the good quality guitars out there does it really come down to how the amp manipulates the sound? If you have a Squier guitar and a like 20W Fender amp, your next investment should be for an amp first before a new guitar? I'd like to break this down, thanks.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Pretty much, yes. It may still sound kinda bad seeing as it's a Squier, but the amp will provide better overall tone than a new guitar will.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Lets put it this way.
The human's Respiratory consists of a lot of different parts.
The Main part is the lung or in our case the Amp.
but without the other parts you couldn't breathe correct.

The Amp is our lungs. The Guitar and the additional stuff are everything else.
A lot of different dynamics go into your tone. The pickups of your guitar, the speakers in your cabinet, the room, and etc.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
i would say the first step for you would depend on your current guitar. its a lot nicer to practice on a guitar that plays really well. and i still use a practice amp for majority of my playing. an amp with great tone tends to come at great volumes.
If you are a beginner buy whatever keeps you playing more, in most cases it's a new guitar first because it's a different feel in your hands, and by the time you're ready to buy a new amp you will have your ear for tone a bit better.
In short, buy whatever you want.

Although as far as tone goes it really is 80% amp (not including pedals etc)
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
IMO
Amp: 80%
Pickups: 15%
Guitar: 5%
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
i would say 50% of your tone comes from each. i strat will sounds compeletly different to a les paul in the same amp. on the other hand, if you are looking to upgrade your gear, you should probably change your amp first seeing as it will make your bodgy guitar a bit better but your bodgy amp will make your awsome guitar sound..well..bodgy.

i agree with deep kick saying a nice guitar will keep you playing. i was playing an awsome strat through a fender frontman for about 2 years and it helped my playing so much because it felt so much nicer than my first guitar.
the overall sound depends on everything.

but if you prioritize on what to buy first 1) amp 2) cab 3) guitar
I agree that amp is by far the majority of tone, and the most important part of your rig. But obviously a really crappy guitar is not worth playing. Let's just assume a standard decent guitar, something that stays in tune, has decent intonation, not too noisy electronics and lack of fret buzz. If your guitar meets the above criteria, blow your wad on the amp. If you hate playing your guitar, then replace it first. That being said, I am talking about a 200-300 dollar guitar, used.
My opinion is the amp does decide more of your tone than your guitar does... but it's more important to get a nice guitar you're happy with first.

I could live with a bad amp. I may end up not wanting to plug in and crank it, but it wouldn't stop me from playing guitar completely.
On the other hand if the only guitar I had was some P.O.S. I wasn't comfortable with, I didn't like the look of and I generally hated, it could and probably would lead me to giving up on guitar altogether.

For tone? Yeah sure, amp is more important. For general guitar playing? Get a nice guitar sorted first.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
amp: 80%
Pups: 15%
guitar:5%
but fingers playes a role in all of them, hard to explain.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
A good guitar might be easier to play,look better and have great tone.But, the difference you HEAR between it and a Squier wont be that great through a cheap amp. You might even feel you should have saved your money. A Squier through a good valve amp ,especially with a change of pickups will sound Fantastic. With a good setup it will play as good as a Fender. I,d go for a quality valve amp and upgrade the guitar as soon as I could afford it. I have two decent amps.A 74 Hiwatt DR103 and Mesa Boogie Studio Pre and 50/50 power amps. I also have some decent guitars two Musicman Silhouette's,Ibanez S540 custom made and a MIJ Fender Telecaster with Bare Knuckle pickups. In the past I have owned USA Fender Teles and Strats and Gibsons. The amps always stay. Anything can sound good through them if its in tune.
Last edited by marantz1300 at Mar 12, 2009,
With electric I'd personally say that a lot of the sound is due to the amp.

The reason you'd pay a lot for the guitar is for the feel I think. I have a £1,700 PRS and when I go back to playing my £180 Yamaha Pacifica I feel like I'm playing with a toy.
yeh i reckon the fingers are most of the tone when playing a certain guitar. If the amp you've got is tube then its probably giving u a half decent sound anyway.

put it this way, i'd feel better playing a squier strat into a nice fender deville (for example) than wasting a guitar like a top of the range les paul by playing it through a 15 watt solid state amp.

i'd say get urself a fender blues jr amp which is 15 watt but runs through a 1x12 so you can crank it and get a great sound at lower volumes. then you've got enough to buy a pretty decent guitar, maybe an epiphone semi-hollow or a fender mex strat.
Quote by Faux~Affliction
IMO
Amp: 80%
Pickups: 15%
Guitar: 5%

Agreed. If the amp is decent, if not, the pickups will make less of a difference.
Quote by al112987
the overall sound depends on everything.

but if you prioritize on what to buy first 1) amp 2) cab 3) guitar

+1

the amp is the majority of your tone in that if you plug a strat and then a les paul into a fender twin, it'll sound different, sure, but not as different as plugging the same guitar into a twin and then into, say, a peavey 5150.

but everything affects everything, and the irony with going for the amp being more important is that, once you get a better amp, it should show up the differences between guitars more. so guitars which you previously thought sounded pretty similar might end up sounding very different, once you have a better amp.

i assume you're talking about the faq i wrote- i should point out that we tend to over-emphasise the amp here because a lot of players almost totally forget about the amp, and also i never said that any percentage of how each piece of gear affects the overall tone was written in stone, it's meant as a (very rough) guide only. and also, i often use extremes (which won't happen in the real world) to help illustrate a point. if you only have a squier affinity strat, you probably shouldn't rush out and buy a soldano, for example, unless you're planning to get a better guitar pretty soon, too.

Quote by MrFlibble
My opinion is the amp does decide more of your tone than your guitar does... but it's more important to get a nice guitar you're happy with first.

I could live with a bad amp. I may end up not wanting to plug in and crank it, but it wouldn't stop me from playing guitar completely.
On the other hand if the only guitar I had was some P.O.S. I wasn't comfortable with, I didn't like the look of and I generally hated, it could and probably would lead me to giving up on guitar altogether.

For tone? Yeah sure, amp is more important. For general guitar playing? Get a nice guitar sorted first.

that's also an excellent point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 12, 2009,
Before I bought my current amp I was bent on getting a new guitar, wanting to improve my sound.. With my new amp I have plugged in many guitars from Gibsons, Ibanezs, Some strats and the sound remains constant maybe sounding a bit clearer or brighter depending on the guitar.. but nothing too noticeable so i say amp is about 85% of your sound as well.. (Given your technique is good)