Alright, so you guys are probably getting annoyed with me, but we both know you enjoy the attention and the opportunity to show off your expertise : P So if you'll oblige me to help me out again, I have another question.

I'm looking for a booster pedal to make my solos stand out more; and if it's possible, I'd love to have one that functions as an overdrive so I can get some more tonal variety out of my rig.

Anyway I'm really attracted to the idea of a treble booster; I am completely obsessed with the tone Brian May used in solos. Very trebly and raw. I also absolutely love the guitar tone from Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" solo, and, more recently, John Mayer's solo from his "Where The Light Is" version of "Belief."

(by the way, I'm pretty sure it's some kind of booster that he's using, but if you want to be super-duper helpful, the link to this version of "Belief" is here. Maybe someone can tell me what kind of boost/effect he's using from 4:30 to 4:50? I totally want that.)

But I digress! So far I've been looking at the RC Booster by Xotic Effects, but its treble boost tone doesn't really appeal to me per se. I've looked at the LovePedal Eternity, which has a sweet overdrive tone, but its "glass" knob doesn't seem to add as much treble as I'm looking for. What I'm most drawn to is the Keeley Java Boost, but I wanted to do my homework and get some advice before I settled on a pedal.

Anyway, any input on my questions is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Oh and if you can tell me about that John Mayer solo effect, I'll... be really grateful?
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
HBE germania booster?

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/products3.htm

i thought PGS carried it, but i dont see the germania on their website, so i dont know where to get it except from ebay (unless HBE can sell direct).

addendum: and kevin, you may need to add a certain temporary addition to your sig soon
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Mar 11, 2009,
Well, first off, most of may's tone is from a cranked up vintage AC30, the germanium treble booster and out of phase guitar just add to that.

If you want may tones I'd try to find a germanium treble boost or build something like this:
http://buildyourownclone.com/triboost.html
which basically has a dallas rangemaster (treble boost) LPB1 (clean boost/od) and a mosfet boost which I don't have a clue what it sounds like

I'm not experienced with those other pedals or tones, sorry.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Whole Lotta Love is a wah left toe down.

D'oh! That makes a lot of sense. And actually that may be what Johnny-Boy is using in that solo of his...

And of course after hearing Jimi Hendrix and Davy Knowles do the same thing, I couldn't figure it out.

'Preciate it, man.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Try the Vex Super Hard On, or the BSM OR (both copies of the old orange booster) those could give you the Brian May Tone.

For the John Mayer tone its a treble boosted TS-808.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Quote by Ranger01
Try the Vex Super Hard On, or the BSM OR (both copies of the old orange booster) those could give you the Brian May Tone.

For the John Mayer tone its a treble boosted TS-808.

The Super Hard On isn't a treble booster, it's a clean boost. It'll add a little more glassiness and sparkle but it's not really boosting the treble. Not even close to the Orange Treble and Bass Boost either.