Page 1 of 2
Just as the topic says, I want to know what the characteristics of a successful musician are and what is most important.

I think a few of them are:
Self-control
Patience
Honesty
People skills(communication + networking)

I think that no matter how good you are right now, if you focus on improving yourself in those areas, you will improve technically and musically(maybe at everything in general).

I don't know the point of this thread really. Just list some traits that a musician should have in order to be as good as he can be. So I can start working on them. Yea.
I think those skills can apply to being successful at anything. A successful musician is someone able to make a career out of music i guess. IDK, musician can be pretty vague. I would say someone that is a really good composer and has an extensive knowledge of music and their instrument is a well accomplished musician.
I dont think that applies to all. Im a patienceless, lying, impulsive introvert, but ill melt your face and crush your skull with my guitar skills.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
I dont think that applies to all. Im a patienceless, lying, impulsive introvert, but ill melt your face and crush your skull with my guitar skills.

I believe you.
i think you must be very determined...have the attitude thats im gonna be a musicain or nothing
You gotta be early! Never be late!
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
There are two important charcteristics only:
-Having an real interest in music (not just a passing fancy for it).
-Having a means to play music (be it your dad's old acoustic, your god-given vocal cords, or that $1500 PRS you've been saving up for.

I can name you plenty of successful musicians who were total outcasts and had no people skills. I can name you loads that were dishonest, many who were impatient and impulsive. if you have ever heard the terms "rock and roll" and "heavy metal", you should know that self-control is often absent from the picture. But I have yet to meet a successful musician who hates playing, and has no way to play.

That is all.
Quote by SPBY
but ill melt your face and crush your skull with my guitar skills.

Prove it.

On topic, those attributes are general enough to apply to everything in life and we should all strive to achieve those goals.

EDIT: toyboxmaster does however have the most interesting point.
Last edited by AA00P at Mar 11, 2009,
(in my opinion)
it doesnt depend on the traits someone has.
it all depends on whether or not the person has a passion for music.

EDIT:
On topic, those attributes are general enough to apply to everything in life and we should all strive to achieve those goals.

i totally agree.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
(in my opinion)

your opinion is my opinion too.
Marriage? It's legal over here.
Quote by toyboxmonster
your opinion is my opinion too.
Marriage? It's legal over here.

lol
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
(in my opinion)

EDIT:

i totally agree.

This.

The person could be a total bitch and everyone hates him/her. But he could be an extremely talented and awesome musician.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Passion is a great one. I started this thread just because it came to my mind while running through exercises.

I try to apply honest and self-control to my practice routines. If I mess up, slow it down and keep at it. Be patient and don't give up.

Maybe the traits I listed are more for efficient practice. Except for the communication which I think is extremely important to become a known musician.
To be a musician...

enjoy making muisc.

i cant really think of amything else
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by Kaos_00
Just as the topic says, I want to know what the characteristics of a successful musician are and what is most important.

Self-control
Patience
Honesty

I think that no matter how good you are right now, if you focus on improving yourself in those areas, you will improve technically and musically(maybe at everything in general).

I don't know the point of this thread really. Just list some traits that a musician should have in order to be as good as he can be. So I can start working on them. Yea.

the ability to make music...... that's it.

The traits you listed are desirable, in general, but not specifically necessary for musicians. You could have very little of all 4 that you mentioned and still be a incredible musician.
shred is gaudy music
now we just need a definition of music
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Quote by zipppy2006
now we just need a definition of music

my definition of music is:
music can be whatever you want it to be.

it can be pounding metal, or some crazy piece by bach.
thats why music is so amazing.

it shouldnt have an actual definition.
(in my opinion, i dont want to start some ridiculous arguement.)
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
haha, I was thinking more along the lines of...

atonal free jazz?
electronic music?
magnetic screws bouncing around a pan?
Amplified trees and plants? (http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/a/item.html?id=69435&item=1043688)
Ambient noise in a forest?
Ambient noise in a city?
4' 33"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

kind of interesting haha
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Quote by zipppy2006
haha, I was thinking more along the lines of...

atonal free jazz?
electronic music?
magnetic screws bouncing around a pan?
Amplified trees and plants? (http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/a/item.html?id=69435&item=1043688)
Ambient noise in a forest?
Ambient noise in a city?
4' 33"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

kind of interesting haha

This is... what I do. Haha. Well, I prefer to think that I do things a little more interesting, but perhaps I'm fooling myself.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Tenaciousness.

The ability to work well with others, to know how to pick your battles and compromise.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by psychodelia

This is... what I do. Haha. Well, I prefer to think that I do things a little more interesting, but perhaps I'm fooling myself.

Haha, very cool. I go to school at the UofM in Minneapolis and they just had the Spark Festival a few weeks ago, quite a lot of fun but some stuff was just too out-there for me.

Quite a lot of 'artists' turned 'musicians' or vice versa with video and installations and such.
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Pretty much everything positive that's been mentioned on this thread applies to me. I also think that having my life revolve around music has made me more passionate and emotionally deeper. I'm less afraid to express my feelings of love, hate, depression, and the like. Plus, music seems to have given me another quality that I can't quite point out, but it seems to have made me more...three dimensional than other people my age. Anyone else notice these qualities?
Quote by The.new.guy
Pretty much everything positive that's been mentioned on this thread applies to me. I also think that having my life revolve around music has made me more passionate and emotionally deeper. I'm less afraid to express my feelings of love, hate, depression, and the like. Plus, music seems to have given me another quality that I can't quite point out, but it seems to have made me more...three dimensional than other people my age. Anyone else notice these qualities?

I've noticed these qualities in musicians (but then they are also lacking in a lot of musicians haha). It seems like there might be a correlation there, but I tend to think that mature people are attracted to music (as in a strong relationship with it), rather than that music itself matures people somehow.

And it's not limited to musicians, I have a lot of friends who love listening to music who have these qualities too
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Passion, emotion, motivation, creativity, self-control (The more motivation the less you need this.), honesty (sure, why not?)

People skills could help opening some doors, but not so necessary. I hope... (I got zero talent with that.)
Why don't I just sum up the responses in this thread: Every positive trait imaginable.

A musician is someone of makes music. Nothing more. I imagine that, given the diversity of music is Western countries alone, its creators often have little in common with each other.

I was going to sarcastically answer "they're not deaf", but then I remembered that they don't even have that in common.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

Self-control
Patience
Honesty

Patience and Self Control? Have you seen how angry most musicians are? Axel Rose assaulted some dude with a camera at a show once.
Honesty? Do you know how many musicians lie?
People Skills? Have you seen buckethead?

If anything, good musicians lack those skills...

PS, I don't know alot about Axel, but Hes just an example.

And Beethoven was deaf (or partially anyway).
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by SPBY

He said musician. Not guitarist.
"Sound:
it has a really good distortion and clean sound a little to much hum in the background but i guess thats why they call them humbuckers"

review on Zzounds
Quote by Archeo Avis
Why don't I just sum up the responses in this thread: Every positive trait imaginable.

A musician is someone of makes music. Nothing more. I imagine that, given the diversity of music is Western countries alone, its creators often have little in common with each other.

I was going to sarcastically answer "they're not deaf", but then I remembered that they don't even have that in common.

Exactly.

Besides, everybody's definition of a musician is going to be different anyway.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Indiddly doo. Evelyn Glennie

No doubt there are more, but she performed here less than a year ago, so she's the the first example to spring to mind.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Being able to keep good time is an underrated characteristic for musicians, especially guitar players. An essential quality for playing with other people and playing songs
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
my definition of music is:
music can be whatever you want it to be.

it can be pounding metal, or some crazy piece by bach.
thats why music is so amazing.

it shouldnt have an actual definition.
(in my opinion, i dont want to start some ridiculous arguement.)

How about acknowledgment of aural perception or something of that type?

Anyways, musicians make music, and I guess "making" music is a relative term, because you can play music, or write music and still be considerd musician...
You could say it's someone who produces music or produces a representation of it...
To be a musician, you just need a musical instrument.

To be a great musician, you need to be a ****ing freak.
Quote by Narchbishop

Hey, same avatar!

I think a musician should be open and honest with the music they play or write
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Narchbishop

You must forgive him. He forgets that guitarists are crime-fighters, not musicians.
Page 1 of 2