Me and my friend decided to jam for the first time yesterday, and i was exposed to his drumming, it was loud; only had my pair of skull candy headphones that cancel's some noise. Didn't have ear plugs only jamm'd for maybe 30 - 40 mins though.

And I do not hear buzzing in my ears, which i read was coupled with hearing loss.

Lol it's probably nothing, but i'm a health freak :P
=D
I'm sure you will live. I've spent hours more then that in front of speakers at concerts and I can hear fine. Though its a bad idea, and you should wear earplugs or headphones if you are worried.
Hahahaha
Last year, once to twice a week, I was shut up in my bedroom with my band's old drummer (who tended to burst into fits of destruction at the end of each song) and very untalented guitarist (who kept turning his Digitech Grunge to near-max volume because he "couldn't hear himself over the drums"). My ears rang for hours.

After most post-hardcore shows, my ears ring till noon-ish the next day.

Believe me, you'll be fine.
You will not be fine if you continue to expose yourself to such loud noise without any sort of ear protection. You're ears don't "get used to it", you lose your hearing and the music simply doesn't seem as loud anymore. Be smart, be safe. You don't want to have your ears ringing 24/7 for the rest of your life.
Quote by Paquijón
You will not be fine if you continue to expose yourself to such loud noise without any sort of ear protection. You're ears don't "get used to it", you lose your hearing and the music simply doesn't seem as loud anymore. Be smart, be safe. You don't want to have your ears ringing 24/7 for the rest of your life.

well said
There's some terrible and incredibly dangerous advice in this thread.
If you keep it up, you will begin to suffer hearing loss. There is no "getting used to it". There are a number of companies that manufacture ear plugs with flat frequency attenuation for musicians. I strong advise picking some up.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I was assuming he was talking about this one instance, and not about the possibility of jamming w/ the drummer repeatedly (and/or sticking his head in a jet engine daily).
you will be fine man...i have a pair of ultimate ear UE 11's that are the top of the top in ears and i still have ringing in my ears from years of playing but havent lost much of anything
Half of the folks in this thread are going to have tinnitus by the time they're 30. Jesus Christ.

1. Buy some damn earplugs.
2. Give your ears a rest. If you ever hear any buzzing or ringing or anything, keep **** on the down low for a good 2-3 days.
lower your volumes just a tad bit if yoru scared.

I havent had problems as of yet due to proper rehearsal spaced. I have done a hearing test. Perfect condition.

AHowever the buzzing is indeed damage, it doesn't have to be permanent though. To get yoru ears back in to shape, just listen to music for a day. It actually works.
I went to a 2 hour concert of Yngwie Malmsteen, and walked away with nothing, you'll live.

But like other's said, yes continuous hearing at that level damages ur ears.

Mine are slightly damaged already, it sox.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Wow, some dudes in the thread are insane.

All hearing damage is permanent, though its immediate effects fade after a while the damage remains.

I don't have the exact stats on me, but for every 60mins spent tolerating 95dB+ of sound causes you to lose (on average) 0.025% of your aural range. And this compounds, so the first time is 0.025%, the next is 0.050% followed by 0.10%. So as above the 2 hour Ygnwie concert just cost you 0.2% of your total aural range (not taking into account any previous damage).

Point being get a good pair of ear plugs and take care of your ears, you cannot reverse hearing loss.

EVER.

Or alternatively: Be prepared for some awesome (the bad kind) ringing in your ears in your later years.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
2 hours is 120 minutes would mean 0.75 %?

[qoute]Exposure to impulse and continuous noise may cause only a temporary hearing loss. If a person regains hearing, the temporary hearing loss is called a temporary threshold shift. The temporary threshold shift largely disappears 16 to 48 hours after exposure to loud noise.

source: http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/noise.asp

So it may very well been a permanent damage as you can read on the site. But it doesn't have to be so.

Also, hearing loss is natural. Your High Frequency loss is 1000 kHz over 10 years, starting at 20.000 kHz average.

I've suffered ringing and stuff from concerts. My test came back above 18.500. as an 18 year old that is a really good score especially after going to concerts and stuff.
Last edited by pandora_grunt at Mar 12, 2009,
http://www.etymotic.com try these, if you want the custom ones you have to find a store with them nearby however, they are great, they keep everything evenly mixed (bass and treble levels the same as they would be without them) but its all quieter, I use them all the time, whenever I am around very loud music. Because, as a musician, hearing damage is like if you were an artist and started to go blind, hearing is necessary
Kramer Striker FR-424
Fender Starcaster
Roland Cube 30
Roland Mini Cube

Digitech RP90
Squier P-Bass (Insanely modded)
Fender Rumble 15
Quote by Alakazam
Me and my friend decided to jam for the first time yesterday, and i was exposed to his drumming, it was loud; only had my pair of skull candy headphones that cancel's some noise. Didn't have ear plugs only jamm'd for maybe 30 - 40 mins though.

And I do not hear buzzing in my ears, which i read was coupled with hearing loss.

Lol it's probably nothing, but i'm a health freak :P

That can't have been worse than an extremely loud rock concert, right?

Anyway, some degree of hearing loss is a sacrifice you'll have to put up with as a musician or a human who naturally grows older. It's pretty inevitable, I'd say. That is, unless you've already developed some kind of method to combat ageing..?

If you don't hear ringing and/or buzzing and feel fine, then it doesn't sound like there's much of a reason to be alarmed, but you can just use proper earplugs next time, if you're worried. I don't think one jam session renders significantly permanent deafness, or else quite a lot of people would be screwed.
So.. whats the damage??

you told us the symptoms you didn't have
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Try practicing 3 hours in a garage thats most likely smaller than you kitchen. We didnt have ear plugs but I go to NASCAR and Drag races all the time so it didn't bother me much.
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
any recommendations for good earplugs? There is a hearing clinic in town but they charge like $160 for custom fitted nice ones, is there anything decent for cheaper?
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Invest in earplugs.
Seriously.
I have tinnitus and it's no fun.
Luckily, I have medicine to help the effects, but it's never going to completely go away.
As already said, all hearing damage is permanent.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Just go to your nearest drug store, and go to the ear section. They should have 10 for 5$ or something. They block out I think 100dB, which is great. I love my ears personally, and would never want to waste them.
Yes, you'll be deaf by sunup.

Why the hell are you asking a bunch of musicians on the internet, see a damn doctor.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I have slight tinnitus, and I hardly ever jam. It's becuase I listen to everything loud as hell. I don't intend to stop either, because, I have been temporarily deaf for the most part, and I know it isn't that horrible. So, it's your choice about it really.
The posts are really appreciated , but maaaaan lol. Last night when i was laying down completely alone and silent, i tried to listen carefully just to make sure if i did have any buzz, i heard noise, but wasn't sure if it was there before, the noise wasn't really distinguishable, it might very well be in my head, trying to fool me. It was probably white noise , but i think everyone hears slight minute noises when laying down in their bedroom, i don't believe that anyone can hear complete silence.

LOL if that make sense . :P
=D
Yep, I feel that too. Everyone I've mentioned it to agrees that it's normal to hear "white noise" when it's supposed to be completely silent, though. I think it's just human paranoia, mainly, so don't worry about it.
Quote by Paquijón

This. I have permanent tinnitus (not necessarily from hearing loss, though I'm sure loud noises don't help) and it sucks. A lot.
Quote by Alakazam
The posts are really appreciated , but maaaaan lol. Last night when i was laying down completely alone and silent, i tried to listen carefully just to make sure if i did have any buzz, i heard noise, but wasn't sure if it was there before, the noise wasn't really distinguishable, it might very well be in my head, trying to fool me. It was probably white noise , but i think everyone hears slight minute noises when laying down in their bedroom, i don't believe that anyone can hear complete silence.

LOL if that make sense . :P

Thats the bloodflow inside your head. No worries.
Well, IF your ears are doing anything...unusual after something like that then it does mean you probably did get some damage.
But honestly I think some people are way overreacting. I've been to dozens of concerts, listen to my mp3 with volume fairly high every day, I can still hear stuff that lost of others can't.

For example, my sisters TV always gives out this really annoying high pitched screee when it's on....nobody else in our household ever notices it...
I think some people here are really a bit too concerned...

My advice: Tell your drummer to keep it low the first half hour of playing.
It's actually been proven that the level of noise an ear can sustain rises if the listener is exposed to a sound just under that level for a bit.
I think it was Manowar who started off their concerts around 95 db, but slowly raise it higher and higher.
Only read that somewhere, of course.
This is the part where you are supposed to be amazed by the awesomeness of my sig.
Last edited by MarauderNL at Mar 13, 2009,
Just like what everyone else has said. You WILL get tinnitus [ringing in the ears constantly .. forever.. there's no cure]

That ringing in your ears after a concert may go away after a while but surely you must know it's not a good thing! Ear Plugs really make a world of difference i recommend investing in a good pair.
Last edited by Zanon at Mar 13, 2009,
Do NOT take the issue of hearing damage lightly.

I've been abusing my ears for about 6 years, and I think that I'm starting to go deaf, which is already hereditary in my family, so uh oh!

I was in rehearsals this morning with a hard rock band, the sound meter hit 140, and we weren't even that loud, apparently that's a danger zone:

http://www.listenhear.co.uk/general_acoustics.htm

This one's got some more information.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
ear plug ftw!!!

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by Paquijón

Some wanker shot a cap gun next to my ear once and it rings whenever i go to bed or am in a quiet room by myself. Also i reckon i cant hear as well as i used to. It is rather depressing. So for the initial poster, look after your ears, because the ringing does drive me mad some days. But it hasn't stopped me playing guitar, just not as loud as i used to.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
You should be fine, unless your like my uncle who decided to shoot a pistol out of his car window = ringing in the ears for life. The drums should do too much damage, however I can't really tell how loud drums are these days since my drunken friend decided to play rap music all the way up with his new 2000$ system in his blazer. SLOW DOWN, WE ARE GOING 75! THIS IS A GRAVEL ROAD! WE ARE ON A BRIDGE! OH MY GOOOOODD! "what dude I can't hear you in the back.." I thanked The Great Spirit I was still alive everyday for 3 weeks after that...
Some loud noise is ok every once in a while...but try to avoid it too often. I've been to some overnight raves and such that left my ears ringing for a good two days afterward and suffered no hearing damage. However, if I did this often (and by often, I mean more than once or twice a year) I would protect my hearing.

If you are going to go to some loud jam sessions even as frequently as once a month, I would put some ear plugs in if I were you.

I was speaking with a fellow guitarist the other day, and he mentioned to me that a guitarist in his band makes awful squealing noises during performances that everyone hates...but he can't tell he's making those awful sounds because he is partially deaf and can't hear them. Don't be that guy.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
You'll get use to it. If you're going to be a musician you need to.

This might actually be the worst advice given at any point in history. I can't even begin to say the word "no" enough times to properly rebut this.

TS, listen to the posts in this thread that suggest ear plugs and other means of noise control. Your ears will "get used to" high levels of noise by becoming increasingly damaged, so if I were you I'd try and avoid that. Aim for a proper rehearsal spacing with ear plugs, allow time for your ears to rest in between sessions, and try not to listen to music too loudly in general.