View poll results: Putting .70 Gauge Strings on a Jackson with Floyd Rose
Its gonna have bad complications
30 60%
It'll be fine after time to adjust
15 30%
I dont really know what the **** is being talked about
5 10%
Voters: 50.
so i'm totally stoked.. my Jacksons gettin a complete reset up, adding new springs for the floyd rose and i'm gettin the trust bar adjusted for the new string gauges..

.70 on top with .13's on the bottom.. the zakk wylde lows lol.

Drop C is gonna be tight with those strings, i've used 60's but they werent like idk.. bassy enough for me with power chords and they were fine but i lacked something, plus the springs, i needed more springs to balence out the tension to get it tuned ya know?.. but yeah..

I'm wonderin how its gonna sound...
Quote by MikeWO
That's like asking if you can get fat by looking at a burger.

Quote by Mein Kampf
Black people still exist?

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
...Are you out of your effing mind? That's thicker than most bass strings!

Edit; Oh, I was thinking you meant a .70 as the top string...yeah, that'll work fine.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 11, 2009,
Here's a thought that I bet never crossed his mind. Zakk Wylde uses LP's which have a shorter scale then a Jackson which in turn means looser tension on the strings. Thats why 9's work on Strat's but not so well on LP's. Putting .70 on a 25.5 scale guitar? Good f*cking luck
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Yeah but i need a more bassy string sound, it just idk.. fits with my style but yeah, i know i know, crazy crazy, but whatever man, it works for me ya know?.. i'm experimenting with em, the guitar guy up at the counter when i told him hes like.. WHOA dude.. dude dude.. you know what your doin? and i'm like yeah man, i've put 60's on this thing before and hes like dude.. thats not normal man, and i'm like well.. its possible right? and hes like yeah, and i'm like and it'll work right.. and hes like yeah.. and i'm like it gives me a unique sound right? and hes like yeah, then i'm like dude theres all the questions and answers.. bam... and lol hes like okay..

I guess i'm the 1st person to use those strings from around here, so yeah, he had to order em so it'll be an extra three days.. so yeah...
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
Quote by Kaininmich
you know what your doin? and i'm like yeah man

So is that why he's setting it up?
But good luck with that, I look forward to hearing about how it goes
yeah, i needed to get the guitar set up so it could take the tension, he has to make the truss bar stronger, and add more springs to balence it out, and i needed my intonation redone, never done that on a floyd rose and i figured it was gonna be a asshole thing that'll take a while to do.. plus i needed a few minor things check out lol.. so i was like **** it.. put that bitch in the shop...
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
The floyd will be fine, its just the springs that i was worried about, cuz trying to balence it all the ****in heads of the screws on the claw are like backed into the wood just to get it somehwhat balenced so he'd have to add more springs to give more tension...to balence it out, and i think he said he may add reenforcment to the back of the neck to help it make it more sturdy but yeah hes gonna just set it up for me.. runnin about 145 bucks right now..
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
How is he going to strengthen the truss rod? You might as well buy a baritone or a 7 string.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I think he means tighten the truss rod not strengthen, you can't make it stronger just tighten it but f*ck sakes man I'm trying not to laugh here but so many things can go wrong with that much tension on the neck and not even talking about the beating your claw screws will take once you add all those springs and extra tension on it from the strings. Personally, I'd be wearing a freaking motorcycle helmet with the visor down and a bullet proof cup in case your low E snaps or your claw and screws shoot out of there like a f*cking missile
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by Kaininmich
I'm wonderin how its gonna sound...

Probably muddy as hell. Not bassy, muddy.

There's a reason that bands like Meshuggah and (old) Fear Factory use guitars with longer scales. It's because it allows them to use lighter gauges with their lower tunings and retain some clarity.
well, i would be but i've seen more abuse, Custom 87's on top, on a regular les paul, my old rythym player had it when we played Drop B, and they played fine
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
well worst comes to worse, if i dont like it, i'll put 62's back on it...
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
lol i actually do lol
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
It will sound like sex since the nut and bridge are both made of steel... if you can learn to play that. Since the strings are gonna be really effing tight, you better be able to lower your action like crazy without getting fret buzz, otherwise your guitar will be thoroughly unplayable.

Oh, and it's hard to imagine the nut accepting such a huge gauge. Same with the bridge.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Remember to give it a few hours for the neck to adjust to the new tensions.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I read this thread and at first I was like no way then my mate was like yeah man then I was like won't it cause damage to the neck then he was like no way man then I was like cool man then he was like yeah he knows what he's doin then I was like cool man then he was like yeah man.
RULE BRITANNIA
^wow man^
That thing is gonna be like a bomb waiting to go off.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
lol, you makin fun of my stoner hippy guitar store talk with the dude? lol

i know about waiting for the neck to adjust, thats why he's letting it sit for a day before he recheck its, this guy is the best luthier around michigan, thats the only reason i bring my **** to him, if not then i'd better off going to see my uncle 5 hours away and have him do it.... hes ****in masterful lol...

but yeah i know, trust me i've done my research and i'm looked it all up, and talked with people and they said it'll just be a fragile peice at first, gotta let it all adjust...

i just can't wait.. its gonna be intense.. i already told the guy i want the lowest possible action without string buzz and hes pretty good, i also think he was talkin bout replacing somethin the neck plate, or osmethin idk.. i forgot that part, he called me today and asked me alot of questions and made sure i was fine with what he's doin
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
oh and the nut accepting the guage, it will because its a locking nut, and there isn't like no real close gap to where the string sits, its pretty wide.. so its not a problem
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
Personally, I like my strings to be tight and I wouldn't go this heavy. An .07 for C, with a Floyd Rose, it just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If you don't plan on using the trem, I suppose thats one thing, but if you do just think about it.

The truss rod is going to be adjusted to accomodate the extra tension. Thats fine, I don't doubt that it could be adjusted accordingly. However, with all the extra tension on the truss rod, if you drop the pitch with the trem, you're unloading a VERY tight neck. Then if you pull up on it, you're further loading a very tight neck.

I could just be paranoid, but personally, thickest I'd go is an .06.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
well, my trem did very well with a .62 and all the people i've asked are very experianced and a few people have done it and almost all of them said it worked out well, 2 said that they didn't give it the right care and it snapped the strings and **** but.. just gotta be a little careful with it, till its used to it.. ya know?...
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
I don't think a licensed Floyd Rose will be able to withstand that huge gauge. I'm not even sure an OFR could be able to lock down tight enough. Will a 70 even fit in the saddle? I use 12-56 on my SG tuned to C#, and those are pretty tight. But then again, your Jackson's scale is slightly longer, so thicker strings will seem even tighter on it then on something with a scale like an SG or LP. I wonder if you can put 4 springs on the Floyd.....

Also, have you seen Zakk Wylde's arms??!?! The guy's ****ing ripped. Heavier gauge strings are nothing to that man. I suggest you begin to lift weights.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Again, maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I don't think its a matter of it being used to it, Jackson guitars are not known for their thick necks.

You have a thin piece of wood that with balanced string tension is going to be under nearly 150lbs of tension.

This does not sound good to me, but hey, just my opinion. I hope it works out for you.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
i'm a big guy too, i'm actually bigger than zakk wylde, and i got alot of strength thats part of th reason i use thick strings, that way i feel control over them and they dont feel tiny under my fingers when i do rythym plus i like the challenge and tear and wear on my fingers of the thicker gauges.. plus no ones gonna touch my guitar with that huge guage on it,t hey'll play for a few minutes and be like **** this...
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
I don't buy you won't need to machine and the nut and channel in the saddle to accept those strings. For an FR to work, everything needs to sit flat and in those channels. I also believe the max gauge you could use on an FR were .10s (high E) or .11s. I don't see why the guitar itself would have issue, but the parts on it might need modification. I did the .62s (low e) once and I have to say it was the stupidest set of strings I've ever used in my life. It was also on my DK2T, not my locking nut Charvel. And even then I had to do some extensive work on the nut to get the strings to sit in it correctly.
I doubt that gauge will fit in the nut or bridge.

You should look into a baritone or 7 string if you really want those lows.
Quote by Kaininmich
plus no ones gonna touch my guitar with that huge guage on it,t hey'll play for a few minutes and be like **** this...

Haha, I like the mindset there. I say go for it. If you're already getting it re-intonated, slap the .070's on. ONly other thing you HAVE to do is make the nut wider for the bass strings. Like I said I use 12-56's on my Gibson SG, and I carved the nuts bigger with a knife myself...lol. But it works fine hahaha. (Carving nuts...that came out wrong).
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
if you want a super bassy sound then y dont you just buy a six-string bass? it will have about the same effect as .70's. you could even put regular guitar pups and electronics in it.

but i think, unless you have an OFR, the knife edges are just going to crush. thats over 200lbs of force from the strings + 200 more from the springs to equall it out. dude. your guitar is screwwed.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
ahh, not true, it'll work out..t heres been worse done.. and you will all see lol MWHAHAHA...

i'll maybe record something afterwards and put it up just so everyone can see the new sound.. maybe a vid...
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
I'd love to see a vid when finished. how long do you think it'll take?
idk.. i got another week to wait lol.. so within the next couple weeks
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
well you probly idk, need something changed, but what do you mean extremly hard to play?
Quote by MikeWO

Quote by Mein Kampf

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
I would wager 25+ pounds of tension per string is enough to make a guitar hard to play.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
IMO .70 is way to damned thick, you want to drop tune, then thats cool but on a 25.5 scale guitar i wouldnt recomend anything higher than a .60. I tune B to B (B E A D G B) tuning on a BC Rich NJ Beast thats 25.5 scale and the highest string i use is .58, and it has a floyd. I had to adjust the springs inside the guitar a bit but other than that i didnt have to do any other adjustments. But a .70 to me is too thick. but like i said...thats just my opinion
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Last edited by heretic-clown at Mar 15, 2009,
if you want more lows why dont tou try flatwound strings? lots of low end, 70 is going to be muddy IMO
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Good luck using the Floyd. I have 10's on a Schecter here and Its not easy to use the floyd.. I wish I put 9s on the thing...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr