Creating a life that reflects your values and satisfies your soul is a rare achievement. In a culture that relentlessly promotes avarice and excess as the good life, a person happy doing his own work is usually considered an eccentric, if not a subversive. Ambition is only understood if it's to rise to the top of some imaginary ladder of success. Someone who takes an undemanding job because it affords him the time to pursue other interests and activities is considered a flake. A person who abandons a career in order to stay home and raise children is considered not to be living up to his potential-as if a job title and salary are the sole measure of human worth.
You'll be told in a hundred ways, some subtle and some not, to keep climbing, and never be satisfied with where you are, who you are, and what you're doing. There are a million ways to sell yourself out, and I guarantee you'll hear about them.

To invent your own life's meaning is not easy, but it's still allowed, and I think you'll be happier for the trouble.

Found that scribbled on a page of someone's sketches I was looking at, or part of it anyway. What's your take on it?

Here's the context: http://web.mit.edu/jmorzins/www/C-H-speech.html

Smart guy.
I love Bill Watterson. He's probably the best philosopher of the eighties/nineties.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
I may have to send this to my dad,

it basically explains why I'm content with getting C's in all of my classes even though I could have A's if I did the homework. (Any of it)

I don't see the point of "Living up to my potential" when I'm happy where I am.

Sure, I'll work to get a good job that I'm happy doing when I'm out of school,
but it's too late now for grades to make a difference for me.

/rant
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by sneyob

it basically explains why I'm content with getting C's in all of my classes even though I could have A's if I did the homework. (Any of it)

/rant

If you can get A's do it.... Student Loans suck, Scholarships are good.

Just some advice you'll probably ignore, like I did. Now I'm paying off a student loan and can't afford a guitar.
Quote by Sublimical
If you can get A's do it.... Student Loans suck, Scholarships are good.

Just some advice you'll probably ignore, like I did. Now I'm paying off a student loan and can't afford a guitar.

Bleh if it could get me scholarships, I would go for it.

But there are ridiculously insane kids who have been doing community service since 6th grade/have had straight A's in 8 classes every year/do outside of school ****/etc.

I don't stand a chance against them,
so I don't feel like I should prove my ability to anyone until it counts.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by sneyob

But there are ridiculously insane kids who have been doing community service since 6th grade/have had straight A's in 8 classes every year/do outside of school ****/etc.

All you need is good grades and test scores. I do NOTHING outside of school and just because of my good grades and test scores (act/sat) I get all kinds of money thrown at me by schools.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Quote by sneyob

This is off-topic, but... this really is a bad attitude to have, man.

On-topic...

...shit's deep, man.
Quote by sneyob

/rant

There's a big difference between being happy with where you are and just being lazy. Sure, you're happy with C's now, but what happens when you decide that what you want is to be a teacher (or engineer, or scientist, or writer or anything for that matter) and you can't get into college because of those C's. It happens. So many of my lazy ass friends in high school who "didn't care" about their grades ended up regretting it. Realize that he's not encouraging laziness. You still need to be able to provide for yourself and be a contributing member of society.
The setup:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (midnight wine)
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
Quote by sneyob

Just tryin' to help a guy out, you sound just like me 6 years ago is all, I had to Upgrade my math and physics AFTER my HS diploma cuz I didn't do good enough to get into college.

Please don't be like me. I wasted a year of my life.
Such an intelligent thinker that man is!
It made me feel relieved that I chose a trade (HVAC), instead of getting a degree that wouldn't get me too far unless I went for a masters.
Quote by glm
I love you for saying that.

after I said "if the Governator could do it; so can Mr. Colbert"
Bill Watterson was the ultimate double threat, man. He's one of the smartest guys from the late 20th century and he draws epicly hilarious faces.

(Invalid img)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

He's kind of an ass though, I wrote him a letter once (I used to be a massive C&H fan) and I got a letter back from his assistant or something saying that he doesn't accept fan mail and refuses to reply or sign autographs. Maybe the fame got to his head or something.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Calvin and Hobbes was my childhood. I have every book and I used read them over and over and over.
Quote by Jacob6293
He's kind of an ass though, I wrote him a letter once (I used to be a massive C&H fan) and I got a letter back from his assistant or something saying that he doesn't accept fan mail and refuses to reply or sign autographs. Maybe the fame got to his head or something.

Watterson doesn't want to cheapen Calvin and Hobbes by putting a price tag on his signature. Also, he doesn't let Calvin and Hobbes get put on any merchandise whatsoever. Anything you see, like that silly car decal of Calvin pissing on a logo is just fake. I believe recently he's expressed a distaste in how much marketing and merchandise Garfield has.

I find it admirable that he lets his material speak for itself, and has enough confidence that people will buy it and read it without having to plaster Calvin's face on a coffee mug.

EDIT: And for the record, I love that quotation.
Last edited by Jesse Mrau at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by Jesse Mrau
Watterson doesn't want to cheapen Calvin and Hobbes by putting a price tag on his signature. Also, he doesn't let Calvin and Hobbes get put on any merchandise whatsoever. Anything you see, like that silly car decal of Calvin pissing on a logo is just fake. I believe recently he's expressed a distaste in how much marketing and merchandise Garfield has.

I find it admirable that he lets his material speak for itself, and has enough confidence that people will buy it and read it without having to plaster Calvin's face on a coffee mug.

EDIT: And for the record, I love that quotation.

+1

cool guy
Quote by drunkinkoala
Calvin and Hobbes was my childhood. I have every book and I used read them over and over and over.

**** yeah. This is my exact childhood. Throw in a few stolen bikes, rapings, and a tree house, and you've got my childhood.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

THat just made my night. Now one of my favourite quotes.
Thansk TS!
love calvin and hobbes
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.

Love it.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
that message he wrote....... ingenious, and inspiring.

I think I'll print it out and hang it up on my wall, it's given me a buttload to think about...
Calvin and Hobbes is probably THE most amazing comic strip. Bill Watterson has always been a great philosopher it seems. Speeches such as these only further solidify that belief for me.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?