The yellow thing with letters and numbers
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
I've never heard of Korean-made Fenders. I mean it looks legit apart from that, but I'd definitely go find a Fender or strat-specific forum and run it by them because of that. I've never seen or heard of Korean non-Squier Fenders.(Japanese, yes, but nothing else in Asia as far as I know) But other than that, it looks real enough.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Munchlaxatives
The yellow thing with letters and numbers

??? it was invisible to me earlier and you haven't edited your post... what the ****??

WIKIPEDIA SEZ (trust at your own risk):

"Standard, Deluxe and Classic Series Stratocasters are generally made in Mexico, although some models are manufactured in Japan and Korea."

"Fender Stratocasters are built in the United States, Mexico, Japan and Korea."
Last edited by toyboxmonster at Mar 12, 2009,
I've tried to check it through Serial Number lists, but the only Korean stuff they have is for Squires. The E1 suggests it's 30 years old, which it is, but not much else.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

This probably doesn't mean anything, but I found the headstock to be a slightly non-Fender shape, like it's off by just a little.

Or maybe I'm seeing things
Fender 1989 MIJ Strat (It's from the 80's, so it's gotta be legit!)
Breedlove AC25 SM
Looks fine enough. For $225 I would give it a try
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I agree.

Some Fenders are made in Korea, I have a Fender Tele that was made in Korea.

Either way for that price it looks like a decent guitar. The case looks like a good un too.
Quote by necrosis1193
I've never heard of Korean-made Fenders. I mean it looks legit apart from that, but I'd definitely go find a Fender or strat-specific forum and run it by them because of that. I've never seen or heard of Korean non-Squier Fenders.(Japanese, yes, but nothing else in Asia as far as I know) But other than that, it looks real enough.

Many of the special editions are Korean. We had an Ash Deluxe tele in our store last year that was made in Korea, as well as a 72 thinlne also from korea. Our Geddy Lee bass is from Japan, and everything else is U.S. or Mexico that's a "Fender", not a squier.

Could be legit depending on the year of production, and regardless South Korean guitars have always been good to me, especially my Schecter Hellraiser and B.C. Rich Beast.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
I've heard of MIK Fender Strats before...

Someone mentioned MIK's in a thread I started in the Stratocaster Lover's group.

I'd probably PM one of those guys who mentions MIK's...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
It looks real nice.

Even if turned out to be an illegitimate Fender, would you really mind? For $225, you could definitely get something a lot worse, without the case. I'd snag it.

In fact, my Ibanez Gio (beginner guitar lulz) ran me like $350... wtf. That thing would own it.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

Even if turned out to be an illegitimate Fender, would you really mind? For $225, you could definitely get something a lot worse, without the case. I'd snag it.

what he said.
The brand name counts for little. I've played some really, really bad fenders, and some really good 'no-names'...
In either case, looks like a Fender to me.
Quote by necrosis1193

I have a MIK Fender.
Cost the same as a MIM Standard, but came with better pickups [Seymour Duncan stock], and a really nice neck.
MIK > MIM.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Hmm, that is an oddball, due to the era of it. Only Fender Strats I know of made in Korea back then were Squiers, a few low end Fenders, and "Fender Squier Series", but the logo is not consistent with any of them. Still, who is going to fake a MIK sticker? It appears it may be a European market one that had the "Squier Series" logo at the end of the headstock removed, but afaik those were MIJ at the time. Serial is also for a 1991 Squier, made in Korea. I would say if that is what it is, $225 is high. MAYBE $150 given it includes a case, and that assumes all on it is mint and perfect.

EDIT: Though... it believe it is very possible given if it was sold as Fender and MIK it was low end, there is a possibly both Fender and Squier used E serials for that time. So it could well be a Fender. I still wouldn't pay $225 though, maybe $200.
Last edited by CJRocker at Mar 12, 2009,
Fender has been making guitars in Kore for a long time, and they still do the Lite Ash Strat and Tele is made there.....
Looking at the pics, it's hard to get a good angle on the pickguard.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Squiers had a solid white pickguard, while Fenders had the white-black-white pickguard.

I don't know, could just be a custom pickguard change, which wouldn't surprise me since the guitar looks to be in almost pristine shape.

But a 1980's Strat for $225 shipped, with a hard case? Sounds way too good to be true, even if it was a MIM.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
You know, the headstock really does look weird.. o.o

But maybe that was the standard design back then?

Also, did anyone notice each little ...retainer? on the trem system has "Fender" etched on it?
Last edited by toyboxmonster at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by toyboxmonster

Also, did anyone notice each little ...retainer? on the trem system has "Fender" etched on it?

Didn't notice the trem, but I thought the headstock did look a little oddly-shaped compared to my MIM
Yes, Fender does make guitars in Korea. Seems legit to me. Plus it looks great for being around 30 years old.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Even if this were say a Tokai with a fake Fender sticker on the headstock, those Tokai's gave American Fenders runs for their money, and this could be a guy who just put Fender on thinking his Tokai would be worth nothing.

A customer at the store who's son takes guitar lessons gave him the old Tokai strat he had in storage for 18 years since he stopped played, and it looks incredible, mint shape w/tweed case, and looks very similar to the guitar pictured here. It sounds amazing, and the day he brought it in for a set up 2 customers who happened to be in the store asked for the customer's information to offer to buy it (he won't sell it though, and I don't blame him!!)

So based on that, I'd say go for it...regardless, the components on there are worth around taht...a hard case alone you could resell for about $50, pickups maybe $50, and blank wood bodies usually fetch $150-$250 depending on material (and it's already lacquered), so there's your money right there and you've still got a neck/tuners/pots/cream pickguard etc to sell. I've consdered stripping my Godin LG EMG down to it's core components since the pickups are worth $150 each and the body is solid mahogany as well as the neck. I bought the Godin for $400, so it'd be worth it.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Even it was fake, that strat is grapeing sexy.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Is no one going to offer insight about the trem? I've never owned a Fender Strat; do they usually have that etched in them? Couls it be exclusive to this model? Could it be an obvious hint about its genuinity?
Quote by toyboxmonster
Is no one going to offer insight about the trem? I've never owned a Fender Strat; do they usually have that etched in them? Couls it be exclusive to this model? Could it be an obvious hint about its genuinity?

my 05 MIM has the same saddles
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by toyboxmonster

No it doesn't.

The Fender, 6 screw and vintage-style bridge has saddles with Fender stamped on it.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33329530#post33329530

Here's the link if anyone wants it. I decided I didn't trust the guy enough since he's pretty new and there's little record if any of quality Korean Strats 30 years ago.

Jeff

And it's sold. Damn you guys are quick. I'll be checking out the local scene for strats, if anyone's selling one, hit me up.

Jeff

Quote by Munchlaxatives
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33329530#post33329530

Here's the link if anyone wants it. I decided I didn't trust the guy enough since he's pretty new and there's little record if any of quality Korean Strats 30 years ago.

30 years ago? **** that was a long coma after I banged my head on the car door I generally have not heard the best thing about late 80s/early 90s Strats made in Korea; I know most if not all of the Squiers were made of wood of the great ply tree, and most Korean instruments I've played from that era are just not quite up to par with even today's lowest end products.
Quote by Munchlaxatives
I've tried to check it through Serial Number lists, but the only Korean stuff they have is for Squires. The E1 suggests it's 30 years old, which it is, but not much else.

From what I understand about Fender serial numbers, the E1 should mean it was made in 1981(E for Eighty and 1).

If I had the spare cash, I'd grab it. It's 28 years old and appears to be in great shape. The saddles aren't rusty. That gatorskin case is interesting but I'd get a hardshell for it.

EDIT: Damn. i just saw that it's sold already. That was fast.
Last edited by carpepax at Mar 13, 2009,
My friend owns a Korean strat, it has one humbucker and thats it. They are pretty different. Plays just like a fender though...probably because they are fenders.