First, please disregard my username.
Second, I'm failing horribly at trem picking across any more than 2 adjacent strings. I can hardly even alternate pick between 3-4 strings. I tend to anchor because I can't see any other way to have accuracy while picking. My guitar has a Les Paul-type body style, would a different body style help my picking? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
I trem pick in a way I havnt seen anyone else do, I'd show you but I cant...yet
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Perhaps you should try it without anchoring. It'll probably take a bit to get used to, but I know I have gotten better at things like what you're saying since I stopped doing it.
I'd recommend working on your alternate picking across strings first, then when you go to tremolo pick across strings it should be easier. Have a look around for some string skipping exercises to have a go at, they should help.

EDIT: Check out this thread for all your anchoring needs

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974860
Last edited by firesprite at Mar 12, 2009,
Any suggestions on arm placement on the guitar? Being that my guitar has a Les Paul body-type, my forearm tends to rest really high compared to when I'm playing on my friend's Flying V. Also, what about the angle of your arm compared to the strings? I think that may have a large impact on picking abilities, but for now I'll definately try my ass off to learn how to play unanchored. Thanks much
I tried a few licks unanchored and it was much easier than I really expected it to be. If anyone has any links to anything in-depth on pick-hand positioning, please post!
FreePower seems to really know what the hell he's doing. Even down the the little easily overlooked details. From watching the posture video I answered my own question: I do need a smaller bodied guitar, I'm having to actually reach my arm around just to get my hand where I can pick.
Quote by Guitar_Hero2334
FreePower seems to really know what the hell he's doing. Even down the the little easily overlooked details. From watching the posture video I answered my own question: I do need a smaller bodied guitar, I'm having to actually reach my arm around just to get my hand where I can pick.

Freepower's great, his videos/columns etc. are well worth a look
Its takes lots of pratice I mean lots of pratice but yea I anchor myself even when im sweep picking I anchor my self so dont worry about that. But my advice is pratice with a metranome