well howdy there folks!

it's new amp time. not because i don't like my current amp ( i really, really love it) but it's just not loud enough. my current setup (important parts anyway) are a Gibson LP Classic into a Peavey Classic 30 1x12 combo. i play a large variety of music, but what i play mostly is a mathcore/post-hardcore/metalcore blend(think norma jean meets underoath meets the fall of troy, maybe?) the peavey honestly sounds great (imo) for this, but like i said, the volume is an issue. it's perfect for band practice and mini-shows, but that's about it.

so! i come here seeking suggestions for my next amp; it'll be awhile before i actually buy it, but I really want people's input so i can try and narrow my selection down for stuff i'll try, since guitar stores are kinda few and far between here. and i guess i
should add that i'm looking for a head/cab as opposed to another combo.

here we go! okay, what i want in my amp;
-all tube
-between 60 and 100 watts
-at least 2 channels footswitchable
-reverb would a nice touch, not really essential though
-usable cleans, preferably decent or even good if i use a chorus pedal.
-lots of gain. lots and lots of gain.
-versatile equalization-i can get *almost* any tone out of my classic 30 with enough patience, and that'd be nice. i like to go outside the br00talz box every once in a while, you know!

and i guess i need a cab then, too; preferably 2x12 for portability, i'd consider a 4x12 or something else if it sounded really good though. i'm kind of intrigued by the genz benz g-flex, but i need to do more research i guess.

suggestions, info, etc. here! thanks!
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
What exactly is your budget, can you buy used and if so what's your closest major city?

Marshall JCM900, various Mesas, 6505+ (not the 5150/6505 as you say you want good cleans) all come to mind at first.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i'd say my budget will be anywhere from $1000 to maybe $1500, i work part time right now and if i can sell my xbox 360 and classic 30 it'll only take me a few months to save up that much.

i can buy used, i see lots of decent amps on craigslist about an hour or two away frequently, and there's a guitar store about a half hour away that's an orange dealer. yeah, i've heard lots of not-good things about 5150 cleans, although from what i've heard the distortion makes up for it.
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
The 5150/6505 distortion is legendary, but if you can get something with both why bother?

Look into a Randall RM100H. Brilliant, vry versatile amps. I tried one this afternoon and believe me, I want to play it again. The swappable modules do actually make a noticable difference to tone.

I'd suggest an ENGL Screamer, but you don't want a combo.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i was looking at the randall and it intrigued me.. if it's as good as everyone says, i think that might be it. i'm pretty sure there's a mesa-clone module, and an ac30, which the classic 30 is modeled after, so i think it'd be a win/win. i'm gonna try and play one first, but thanks for the input!

EDIT: well, i wouldn't rule out a combo i guess, as long as it fits all those criteria. could i use an extension cab for the ENGL maybe? and how does that one sound? i'm intrigued a little by them, marty friedman uses one of their amps i guess, and i'd love my tone to sound like that, if not just a but more beefy so to speak.
Last edited by jacobthesnakeob at Mar 12, 2009,
There's a Recto module, and Kirk Hammett's sig module is also pretty awesome for that sort of tone.
Quote by Cathbard