So I'm starting a Industrial Band and my friend who plays keys has just a regular keyboard and just has the regular effects like piano,organ and different rhythm Instruments and some basic 80s dance synths, So I was thinking of running the keyboard through a Boss DS-1 to get some Great Sounding Distorted Effects.

I Was Wondering would this be ok to use ? We would be running the keyboard>Pedal>PA System.

And would it make the Keyboard Sound great Distorted or make it sound like Crap?
I've done it with a different pedal and it works perfectly fine. If you want though, you can use your guitar amp (if you have one of course) and then mic that for the PA if you'd rather that distortion though. In short, it works. Play around with it though. What sounds good with guitar isn't going to always sound good with a keyboard.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I've done it with a different pedal and it works perfectly fine. If you want though, you can use your guitar amp (if you have one of course) and then mic that for the PA if you'd rather that distortion though. In short, it works. Play around with it though. What sounds good with guitar isn't going to always sound good with a keyboard.

what this guy said.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
How about a Big Muff?
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Experimentation FTW, dude. Go for it. If it fails it might fail extravagantly!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I've hooked up a keyboard to a Metal Zone and played it through an old jazz amp of mine and it sounded pretty spiffy.
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
Better yet, run it through a talk-box, distortion, delay, and/or whammy.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
IMO, fuzz works a lot better than DS-1 type pedals. But the whole idea behind industrial music is experimenting with different sounds, so I say go for it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by iantheman
what kind of sound are you going for? name a song.

I Guess you can say I'm going for a Marilyn Manson Type Sound

Trying to go for a fuzzy Synthy Sound, I Really Cant find an Example.
Quote by LabradorBassist
I Guess you can say I'm going for a Marilyn Manson Type Sound

Trying to go for a fuzzy Synthy Sound, I Really Cant find an Example.

like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNq4hIW3BQQ

EDIT: or this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Last edited by iantheman at Mar 12, 2009,
Ever heard of The Benevento Russo Duo? Think crunchy ass distorted organ with super funky unbelievable drumming.

My point being play some distorted organ chords for super massive raunchy ass choruses.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by snipelfritz
Ever heard of The Benevento Russo Duo? Think crunchy ass distorted organ with super funky unbelievable drumming.

My point being play some distorted organ chords for super massive raunchy ass choruses.

yes

For keyboard and especially analog-style synth sounds, you have to overdrive, not distort. It sounds much better.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
Deep Purple used to put overdrive/distortion on their organ sounds all the time. I doubt you'll have any problem. Even if the experiment goes horribly wrong, you might learn something.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
i use my whammy pedal for my keyboard more than i use it for my guitar
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
How do you distort your keyboards? All I have is this old yamaha that has one plugin to put into the wall to play.
Dave Mustaine for president.
DECAPITATED

R.I.P Vitek
I run a keyboard through my guitar amp. Wicked **** man.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by SinisterX
How do you distort your keyboards? All I have is this old yamaha that has one plugin to put into the wall to play.

Does it have a 1/4 Jack? You Can your pedal into it and run into an amp.

What Pedal Would Be the Best?

trying to go for a metal sound Maybe a bit off a Synthy sound.
One thing tho, now I haven't tried it myself, but from what I've heard, you should always keep off the two lower octaves of the keyboard if your running it trough a regular guitar amp. Guitar amps aren't made for the lower octaves, and it might damage the speaker like a bass guitar would on it.

I've played some distorted keyboards (Nordelectro, Korg etc.), and they sound great! Go for it.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Quote by Penn100
One thing tho, now I haven't tried it myself, but from what I've heard, you should always keep off the two lower octaves of the keyboard if your running it trough a regular guitar amp. Guitar amps aren't made for the lower octaves, and it might damage the speaker like a bass guitar would on it.

I've played some distorted keyboards (Nordelectro, Korg etc.), and they sound great! Go for it.

We are going to Practice in my Drummers shed were he has a PA system because he DJs school dances and we are going to run the keyboard and vocals through the speakers and maybe guitar and bass

The Keyboardist has a basic Keyboard(a Yamaha PSR-70) from his Cousin and wants to make his sounds different.

His Budget is 100$ and we need a Good Distortion Pedal!
Last edited by LabradorBassist at Mar 12, 2009,
i hooked up my brothers piano (it's electronic so we don't have to tune it) to my boss me-50 and got some pretty cool sounds out of that.