First of all, ive only been playing about 2 months, so should I be learning this yet?

Anyway, the first two handed tapping thing im learning is this on the first string-

h12p8p5h8h12.

Ok, pretty simple for pros, but I have a few questions-

1) Should I be using my pinky for fret 8? I heard it was always good to use the correct finger for what posistion you are playing in. For example, since my index is on 5, my middle finger would beon 6, ring on 7, and pinky on 8. So following proper technique, I should be using my pinky, but in the vid of this, they used there ring finger for 8, is this right?

2) How much harder is it to tap on acoustic rather than electric? Because im not getting my electric for a while, and im wondering if it's much harder.

3) This is more a pull-off question, bit when you pull off, you are not meant to pall straight up, but kind off, down, right? It works on the top tring, but when I move to the second I always mhit the other strings, how do I stop this?
DO NOT TAP!!!

Only learn to tap once you can play the basics and the middle stuff. tapping is quite an advanced technique, at least when it's done well, and it's a waste of time to learn to do it badly when you can barely play yet.
I've been playing for 3 /12 months and I can ALMOST do the beginning of Thunderstruck perfectly. But he's right focus on rhythm parts first
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
I see where you are coming from, but I have my ryhthm down, im practicing my chord switches, scales and learning some simple songs. I am currently looking for a good song that I can play all the way through, but until then, after my "real" practice I will spen time on tapping. Dont worry, im playing slowly and with good technique.
Quote by BeastTheBand
I've been playing for 3 /12 months and I can ALMOST do the beginning of Thunderstruck perfectly. But he's right focus on rhythm parts first

That's not tapping, it's just picked notes.

TS - there's really no point worrying about tapping yet, your left hand technique isn't going to be anywhere near developed enough and more to the point you're not going to be accomplished enough to actually use anything you do manage to learn.

Hold off on it for at least 6 months - the point of techniques like tapping and sweep picking is that they open up more possibilities when you start to hit the limits of what's possible/practical with more fundamental techniques. If you're nowhere near to those limits, which you aren't, then there'little no point worrying about what's beyond them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, you probably shouldn't be learning tapping yet. But, I'll answer your questions anyway.

1. Yes, use your pinky for the 8th fret if you're in 5th position (index finger on 5th fret) You would also want to use your pinky for any further stretches, i.e. 5h9, 5h10

2. It's not necessarily harder, but it sounds stupid for the most part. Especially if you're tapping Van Halen or something like that. You'd definitely want an electric for that kind of stuff.

3. Practice.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Quote by kschaef
Yeah, you probably shouldn't be learning tapping yet. But, I'll answer your questions anyway.

1. Yes, use your pinky for the 8th fret if you're in 5th position (index finger on 5th fret) You would also want to use your pinky for any further stretches, i.e. 5h9, 5h10

2. It's not necessarily harder, but it sounds stupid for the most part. Especially if you're tapping Van Halen or something like that. You'd definitely want an electric for that kind of stuff.

3. Practice.

Not the greatest example lol...Spanish Fly?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Wow, yeah, completely forgot about that.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he used a classical guitar for that. The ones I've played have a lot less string tension than an acoustic which makes tapping sound good and playing all the more easy.

Our friend here has a regular old acoustic though, I think.
He is also, believe it or not, not Eddie Van Halen. :P

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

You should wait one year, then you can think about tapping. Start to practice songs like One or Eruption if you still want to learn tapping later.
Guitars:

Schecter Omen 6
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Granada F1/65

Amp:

Ibanez Toneblaster 15R
Quote by GoldfishMoon
First of all, ive only been playing about 2 months, so should I be learning this yet?

Anyway, the first two handed tapping thing im learning is this on the first string-

h12p8p5h8h12.

Ok, pretty simple for pros, but I have a few questions-

1) Should I be using my pinky for fret 8? I heard it was always good to use the correct finger for what posistion you are playing in. For example, since my index is on 5, my middle finger would beon 6, ring on 7, and pinky on 8. So following proper technique, I should be using my pinky, but in the vid of this, they used there ring finger for 8, is this right?

2) How much harder is it to tap on acoustic rather than electric? Because im not getting my electric for a while, and im wondering if it's much harder.

3) This is more a pull-off question, bit when you pull off, you are not meant to pall straight up, but kind off, down, right? It works on the top tring, but when I move to the second I always mhit the other strings, how do I stop this?

No, you shouldn't be. Get the basics down and everything in between basics up to finger taping. Will you be able to do it? Probably eventualy if you practice it enough. Will it sound like crud? More than likely. Will it be useless? Pretty much. The main purpose for it is lead soloing, and you shouldn't be worried about soloing after 2 months of playing.
Last edited by Dragonblood21 at Mar 12, 2009,
That dude who said do not tap is full of it. You can learn anything when you want to - that's why some guitar players can do amazing things after only a year, duh - but you gotta put the work in.

1. Yes, pinkie on 8th fret

2. It takes more strength to tap on an acoustic, but you might as well do it, because that strength will carry over when you get your electric back - there's nothing wrong with doing this.

3. Yes, pull offs should be pulled down and away at a slight angle. Its also good to work on Legato like this.

http://www.guitarspeedsecret.com
Quote by capitalalchemy
That dude who said do not tap is full of it. You can learn anything when you want to - that's why some guitar players can do amazing things after only a year, duh - but you gotta put the work in.

1. Yes, pinkie on 8th fret

2. It takes more strength to tap on an acoustic, but you might as well do it, because that strength will carry over when you get your electric back - there's nothing wrong with doing this.

3. Yes, pull offs should be pulled down and away at a slight angle. Its also good to work on Legato like this.

http://www.guitarspeedsecret.com

No he's not, he's talking sense - there's no point trying to showboat when you don't have a decent grasp of the basics.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yes, seeing you're having some serious trouble with legato techniques, and (not trying to offend) probably many more, I suggest leaving tapping for later. First, get legato techniques, alternate picking, some basic chords, bends, keeping the rhythm and such, then move on to advanced techniques. There are many many songs you can play that don't include tapping.
Ok, ill put it off for a while. Ill still learn this lick, but no more after that. And to the people that said pinky on eighth, i watched even more videos, and everyone seems to be using there ring finger to tap things that shouldbe tapped with the pinky.
Quote by steven seagull
That's not tapping, it's just picked notes.

Are you sure? because I use my index fingers, no pick. like this: 7-0-4-0 repeated a bunch of times, then 8-0-5-0 repeated a bunch of times...and so on...it sounds just like it lol
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

It's not tapped, it's all picked - at least it is on the recording, you can even hear the pick.

Live Angus tends to start the riff picked, then switch to just hammering on with his left hand for flash points....the right hand never touches the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

oh damn...i guess im wrong then haha. sorry bout that. well i do it the way i explained and it sounds good so whatever...ill start getting used to picking it though
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Quote by BeastTheBand
Are you sure? because I use my index fingers, no pick.

You should be using your index and pinky for those notes. I always played it with just pull-offs, there's really no need to pick that part.

Gear:

the lives to come