I was just wondering, I'm picking the strings nice and firmly but I still can't get the string to ring out into the second note. Am I just not doing it hard enough? Could it be because of my fingers? Maybe they are to firmly pressed on the string? Thanks for any help
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
when you do pull offs you really have to pull off to the side and not straight of the string. It's almost like re-picking the strings with your finger. And for hammer-ons, you just gotta press hard.

Really high action on your guitar could also be part of the problem
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
hang-ons and piss-offs?

its mostly likely either that you're not pressing hard enough, or your guitar may have too high action, causing the impact of the string that rings the note to just simply not occur.
Quote by StewieSwan
when you do pull offs you really have to pull off to the side and not straight of the string. It's almost like re-picking the strings with your finger. And for hammer-ons, you just gotta press hard.

This man is correct. I'm just adding on to it. If you're playing either unplugged or with very little distortion, it may be hard to hear because there's less compression. Adding distortion makes notes closer to the same volume, despite whether they're picked or not.
while im here whats a good setting for my amp? this is what it's like right now:

Drive - Full
Bass - 12 o' clock (or half)
Mid - Full
Treble - Full
Can. Vol. - 3 o' clock (3/4s)

I never really have found a good spot for these. Direct me?!
Also I'll have to ask someone how to turn my action down to check that out. I'm a newbie and don't know how to do that yet lol. Also thanks for the info on doing it from the side and all that jazz.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Hm tip (depends on the amp though)
almost never use full drive it gets to fuzzed and muffled

Having ur mids and treble full will also create some muddiness
a nice setting could be Bass 4 mids 8 And treble 6
Your tone is really up to you, man. I like to have plenty of mids in my sound, but some people like to cut them out. Just play around and find a sound you like.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
yeah i know. im just looking for suggestions that will get me some nice tones, then i can make up my mind by tweaking them a tiny bit or leaving them lol
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Well if it helps, my current tone is:

Gain: half
Low: 5
Mid: 8
High: 7
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
Nice tones subjective, I usually like my treble about 7, mids about 3-4 and bass about 5, sometimes i'll raise my mids to 6, but i don't like real lot of bass, I won't go pass 7. Mess around with the knobs, start with everything at 12 o clock, then adjust to your liking.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Ultimate Tone Thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688660

As to the ho/po... it just takes practice. I spent my first 3 months of playing unable to do any of it; and I was also on a guitar with a high action. It just takes practice... lots of it. Just keep trying, eventually it will start to come. If you think it may be the guitar, go to your local music shop... pick up a really nice guitar. If you can get a good one on it, just means you have the right technique and need to keep practicing with your guitar to make it come out.
Quote by StewieSwan

Isn't it flick downward to make the note sound?? My finger does move a tiny bit to the side as I pull off but not enough for me to say that's the main motion I'm using. I guess if sideways works for you then it's all good, though