Okay so basically I'm gonna be starting teaching my friend to play guitar this Friday. I'm not charging her cause she's a friend but she's a complete beginner and I've never properly taught anyone either. It's been a few years since I started so it's a bit hard to remember what it was like =S

Is there anything in particular I should start out with teaching? simple smoke on the water like riffs? some easy chords?

Thanks
spiders(chromatic 1234 stuff up and down the strings) and the open major and minor chords

c, a, g, e, d, am, em, dm
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
Last edited by istealpants at Mar 12, 2009,
intro of bombtrack - rage against the machine. absolutely no rhythms to worry about.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Just have patience, don't forget to teach how to actually hold the pick and hold the guitar, this is obvious to us but they are foreign objects to others

Teach simple down picking on a single string (look at some slow iron maiden melodies which are simple and fun).

Teach simple chords both open chords and powerchords.

Then just progress from there try and share between lead and rhythm (I made the mistake of concentrating on lead, I found it hard to pick up rhythm playing).
Don't throw too much info out at once as it may confuse.
Quote by Bob_Smith
intro of bombtrack - rage against the machine. absolutely no rhythms to worry about.

i wouldn't say that is a beginner riff, it can be confusing and yeah there is little movement but still..
Teach her something that she can play, not just exercises - like a couple of simple riffs or a 12 bar blues using power chords. Catch her interest first lesson, and get her playing something that sounds like something reasonably quickly, then look at some more technical stuff like open chords next time.
Quote by Hot Jam Sushi
Okay so basically I'm gonna be starting teaching my friend to play guitar this Friday. I'm not charging her cause she's a friend but she's a complete beginner and I've never properly taught anyone either. It's been a few years since I started so it's a bit hard to remember what it was like =S

Is there anything in particular I should start out with teaching? simple smoke on the water like riffs? some easy chords?

Thanks

How I would do it:
First lesson:
How to hold the guitar, how to hold the pick, names of each string, some basic chords and something like a sounded-out Iron Man (0-3-5-6-7-7h8p7h8p7-5-3-0 -it's a lot easier than it looks, just wiggling the finger for an introduction to hammer ons and pulls ofs) or Smoke on the Water so she feels good about herself.
Second lesson:
Power chords, more chords and probably a simple Smells like Teen Spirit just to send her home with that.
Third lesson:
Slide, hammerons, pulls offs and stuff; I'd go with the intro to The Joker, Talk (Coldplay) and Sunshine of Your Love to start with that stuff.
Fourth lesson scales and soloing and so on...
There's lots of songs suggested to teach her and really you want to get her playing songs right off cause that's the most fun. But there's no point teaching her stuff she doesn't like.

Ask her if there is anything in particular she wants to learn to play or if you know any of her long time favourite songs (something lasting is good or the latest pop fad whatever) and get her started on that.

Simple melodies or bass lines Stand By Me is good something she knows and will know how it should sound everytime she practices.

Anyway best of luck.

(P.S. are you sure she want's to learn to play the guitar and she's not just wanting to spend more time with you, or trying to share an interest?? )
Si
Indeed open chords like someone said, but i think its also good to tell in wich order notes go (a a# b c c# and so on) Maybe fake plastic trees by radiohead? (believe it doesnt have bar chords, but if there are you could play them as powerchords)
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Awesome thanks very much guys. She's always loved smells like teen spirit so I'll probably start with that after the whole holding the pick right and stuff.

And 20Tigers, it was my idea haha, cheers.
Quote by Hot Jam Sushi
Awesome thanks very much guys. She's always loved smells like teen spirit so I'll probably start with that after the whole holding the pick right and stuff.

And 20Tigers, it was my idea haha, cheers.
Oh well, in that case - best of luck
Si
Remember to make it FUN! otherwise she will have no motivation. Jam along with her [but don't show off too much ] ask her songs she wants to learn and have set her some long term and short term goals to accomplish (where does she want to be in a year etc)
Quote by Helpy Helperton
Just have patience, don't forget to teach how to actually hold the pick and hold the guitar, this is obvious to us but they are foreign objects to others

Teach simple down picking on a single string (look at some slow iron maiden melodies which are simple and fun).

Teach simple chords both open chords and powerchords.

Then just progress from there try and share between lead and rhythm (I made the mistake of concentrating on lead, I found it hard to pick up rhythm playing).
Don't throw too much info out at once as it may confuse.

haha! that was what I first learned!!.. good ol' maiden...
Gear:
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 BLK w/ EMG 81/60
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
I've taught a few of my friends guitar and let me say you need to be patient because trust me....it can get frustrating as you forget that they've never held a guitar before!. Just start of with some nice slow and easy riffs such as smoke on the water and then move onto powerchords (just doing riffs from a few songs).

After teaching them the basics i taught one of my friends buck rogers by feeder....thats nice and easy to play and then I taugh him supermassive black hole by muse.

The key thing is try and pick riffs out of songs that she might listen to as if she isn't interested in what shes playing she wont enjoy it as much and it'l make it more frustrating for you

Hope this helps in some way and happy teaching!!
Here's a list of what seems good for a start:

- stuff she likes (you've already done this to some extent)
- basic scales like C major and pentatonics (helps understanding a ton of songs)
- One, Enter Sandman main riffs? (relates to above as examples)
- chords, of course

Also, make sure she's physically comfortable while playing so she won't damage herself in the long run. She should let you know of any major pains (not aching fingertips )