I'm thinking about getting a distortion pedal.
I want versatile sound options, but I prefer a thick rock sound, like older Motörhead. But it can be rather sharp Slayer (e.g. Seasons In The Abyss or Divine Intervention sound, not that sharp South Of Heaven sound) too.

What do you think is the best choice? A Boss DS-1, a Digitech Hot Rod or even a Digitech Hot Head? My budget range is up to 80 €.

I had the chance to play with a Hot Rod. This pedal sometimes gives great, powerful sound, but some settings really suck, if you dont remember the good settings it can be kinda hard to find them again.
I havent played the DS-1 yet. Could it fit my plans?
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
Last edited by busa54 at Mar 12, 2009,
Well, you're not gonna get that tone exactly from distortion pedals. What amp do you have?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Peavy Rage 158. I think its ok for home use, I cant play too loud where I'm living. But I want a better distortion with more variety than this amp delivers.
I have the Hot Head and have had no troubles with it. Suits my needs perfectly. More of a Seether, Hinder, Buck Cherry player here, some 80's metal thrown in.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
The DS-1 isnt very versatile, its a good beginner distortion pedal. But I think the Digitech would be better.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
okay, thank you guys
Neither are good, the ds1 is a cheap distortion pedal, the hot head is a cheaper rip off.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Neither are good, the ds1 is a cheap distortion pedal, the hot head is a cheaper rip off.

so what do you recommend?
I was talking especially about the Hot ROD, not so much about the Hot HEAD.
Last edited by busa54 at Mar 12, 2009,
Can you find a MI Audio Crunch Box? That would be your best bet.

If not, I'd say look for a Digitech Grunge, or get a DS-1 and mod it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by busa54
I'm thinking about getting a distortion pedal.
I want versatile sound options, but I prefer a thick rock sound, like older Motörhead. But it can be rather sharp Slayer (e.g. Seasons In The Abyss or Divine Intervention sound, not that sharp South Of Heaven sound) too.

What do you think is the best choice? A Boss DS-1, a Digitech Hot Rod or even a Digitech Hot Head? My budget range is up to 80 €.

I had the chance to play with a Hot Rod. This pedal sometimes gives great, powerful sound, but some settings really suck, if you dont remember the good settings it can be kinda hard to find them again.
I havent played the DS-1 yet. Could it fit my plans?

The DS-1 is a fantastic pedal but the type of stuff you're talking about playing is not what it's best suited towards. The DS-2 has a bit more edge and if you get an external latching footswitch for it you basically have a DS-1 with a mid boost switch for solos and other lead sections, but it still might be a bit weak. Have you considered a ProCo Rat? They make a few variations of that pedal and some are better suited towards metal than others. The Boss Metal Zone is a great metal pedal and has that compressed distortion sound I think you might want. Apart from that, have you looked at the other newer Boss pedals such as the Mega Distortion, or Heavy Metal Zone? You'll find demos for them all on youtube or other such sites. Have a look, pick out a few you think you might like, then go to your local guitar shop and try them out.
Quote by shadow__666
Can you find a MI Audio Crunch Box? That would be your best bet.

If not, I'd say look for a Digitech Grunge, or get a DS-1 and mod it.

I just listened to some demos of the Grunge pedal. I dont think this is what i want, i want some deeper, more powerful distortion too. this ones sound is too high, too sharp.
Quote by gerardwayne
The DS-1 is a fantastic pedal but the type of stuff you're talking about playing is not what it's best suited towards. The DS-2 has a bit more edge and if you get an external latching footswitch for it you basically have a DS-1 with a mid boost switch for solos and other lead sections, but it still might be a bit weak. Have you considered a ProCo Rat? They make a few variations of that pedal and some are better suited towards metal than others. The Boss Metal Zone is a great metal pedal and has that compressed distortion sound I think you might want. Apart from that, have you looked at the other newer Boss pedals such as the Mega Distortion, or Heavy Metal Zone? You'll find demos for them all on youtube or other such sites. Have a look, pick out a few you think you might like, then go to your local guitar shop and try them out.

I ran a ds-2 through a peavey bandit (the big brother of your amp) for years and had great fun and decent tone with it. I was still using that pedal and amp for gigging up til only a couple of months ago when I upgraded to a fender amp. Still use the pedal for my distorted tones.
Or look on eBay for an old Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal, these are sick pedals.

Don't get a Metal Zone (please!) they sound like a giant box of feral bees.
Quote by Cathbard
use the peavey rage and the money you're gonna use for a distortion pedal to get a peavey vypyr instead.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by shadow__666
Or look on eBay for an old Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal, these are sick pedals.

Don't get a Metal Zone (please!) they sound like a giant box of feral bees.

It's funny... I thought metalheads usually hated the HM-2. I like it, but because it's more of a huge fuzz than anything else.
after careful balancing of pro's and con's I decided to order a (used) Peavey Vypyr 15. Gonna get it for 70 €. Pretty good deal as long as the shipping won't do some damage. Will sell my old amp... anyone ? Robino, you are responsible for the quality of this amp !!
Hey guys, I have a Digi Hot Rod and its a really good distortion pedal but its not an Overdrive if you understand what I'm saying. I use the digitech Grunge and Hot Rod together and can get a nirvana kinda tone or I can get a slipknot tone with proper tuning of course. Anyway, I recently modded my Snarling Dogs wonder wah to get a bigger vocal presence and it really worked. I was wondering if anyone knows if its at all possible to modify the Digitech hot rod in anyway with a 100k resistor?