I have a pair of Seymour Duncan humbuckers that I would like to wire in a certain way. The SD website has quite a lot of schematics, but none seem to suit what I want to do and I'm not sure if it's possible. I plan to have the ability to change between parallel, series, series out of phase and a coil split. I have two push/pull pots available but I'm using separate rocker switches for each pickup to turn them on and off.

Any ideas?
Quote by mysticus
I have a pair of Seymour Duncan humbuckers that I would like to wire in a certain way. The SD website has quite a lot of schematics, but none seem to suit what I want to do and I'm not sure if it's possible. I plan to have the ability to change between parallel, series, series out of phase and a coil split. I have two push/pull pots available but I'm using separate rocker switches for each pickup to turn them on and off.

Any ideas?
don't. trust me on this. just don't

two coils that close to each other out of phase is just useless. the signal each coil senses is almost identical. so it almost totally cancels. that means it's weak. add to the negative column, the hum is strong.

weak signal + strong hum = useless.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
don't. trust me on this. just don't

it can be done and it can sound good. the gibson l6-s is a good example of this which is why i went ahead and bought one a few years back and used it as my main guitar before i began to simplify everything. it doesnt "totally cancel" but i imagine the inductor in the circuit has quite a bit to do with that.
Quote by noisefarmer
it can be done and it can sound good. the gibson l6-s is a good example of this which is why i went ahead and bought one a few years back and used it as my main guitar before i began to simplify everything. it doesnt "totally cancel" but i imagine the inductor in the circuit has quite a bit to do with that.
Absolutely Wrong.

The L6-s is NOT an example of this.

I know that circuit inside and out. And it has NOTHING to do with the inductor.
Gibson does not split, parallel or out-of-phase the two coils of each pickup.
Each pickups has its two coils wired in series, in-phase.
The switching does not change that.

http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/L6-S.PDF

please note that there is a HUGE difference between out of phase between the two pickups, spaced far apart, as compared with the two coils of a HB adjacent to each other.

AND putting two HBs that each have their coils normally wired out-of-phase with each other does NOT negate the hum canceling each have.

putting two coils of a HB out of phase with each other will negate its hum canceling.

It can be done, but it won't sound good.
Two coils of a HB out of phase is a lousy deal and you do not want it. Trust me on this.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Absolutely Wrong.

The L6-s is NOT an example of this.

I know that circuit inside and out. And it has NOTHING to do with the inductor.
Gibson does not split, parallel or out-of-phase the two coils of each pickup.
Each pickups has its two coils wired in series, in-phase.
The switching does not change that.

http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/L6-S.PDF

please note that there is a HUGE difference between out of phase between the two pickups, spaced far apart, as compared with the two coils of a HB adjacent to each other.

AND putting two HBs that each have their coils normally wired out-of-phase with each other does NOT negate the hum canceling each have.

putting two coils of a HB out of phase with each other will negate its hum canceling.

It can be done, but it won't sound good.
Two coils of a HB out of phase is a lousy deal and you do not want it. Trust me on this.

correct, the inductor is for the midrange. it's not something i really put much time into thinking about.

i dont see where the TS states that it's a single humbucker that he'd like to put in series but yet out of phase. i went by the assumption when he said "humbuckers" that he'd like to have the 2 humbuckers in series and out of phase (which if you pay attention to the very diagram you posted the l6-s DOES do). anyway we can argue this back and forth until everyone is standing in a pile of split hairs but really it's up to the TS to be more clear with what he intends to do.
Last edited by noisefarmer at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by noisefarmer
i dont see where the TS states that it's a single humbucker that he'd like to put in series but yet out of phase.

Quote by mysticus
I plan to have the ability to change between parallel, series, series out of phase and a coil split. I have two push/pull pots available but I'm using separate rocker switches for each pickup to turn them on and off.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Mar 12, 2009,
someone apparently feels the need to constantly be right.

he states "humbuckers", which from my rudimentary ability of reading comprehension is plural, meaning more than one. applying this same sense of rudimentary ability one can only assume when he says "each pickup" he is referring to the humbuckers and not the coils of a single humbucker. so like i said we can stand here and split hairs all day or the TS can be more clear about what he has in mind and i suggest you follow the advice you give to others in your signature until then.
Quote by noisefarmer
someone apparently feels the need to constantly be right.

he states "humbuckers", which from my rudimentary ability of reading comprehension is plural, meaning more than one. applying this same sense of rudimentary ability one can only assume when he says "each pickup" he is referring to the humbuckers and not the coils of a single humbucker. so like i said we can stand here and split hairs all day or the TS can be more clear about what he has in mind and i suggest you follow the advice you give to others in your signature until then.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Work on your reading comprehension skills.
It would make no sense to have separate rocker switches to turn each pickup on and off AND have separate switches to put the pickups is parallel with each other, pickups in series with each other, and pickups in series out-of-phase with each other.

Quote by mysticus

Any ideas?

if you think it would, draw it up.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
i'm not arguing if something makes sense or not. i'm also not going to be as so bold as to assume what the intentions of the TS are or were. as i stated before it's all just splitting hairs at this point. now if you want to argue and flame and whatnot feel free to do so since i dont give a crap what you choose to do.
noisefarmer:

Cease and desist.

Your attempts at disproving SYK are futile.

Anything you say can, has, and will be used to make you look like more of a tard. There's a reason why people don't doubt SYK.

It's because he's right. Give it up, man. He fed you your own shıt and you choked on it. deal with it, it's the internet.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
noisefarmer:

Cease and desist.

Anything you say can, has, and will be used to make you look like more of a tard. There's a reason why people don't doubt SYK.

It's because he's right. Give it up, man. He fed you your own shıt and you choked on it. deal with it, it's the internet.

riiiight... cus thats exactly what i'm trying to do.
/sarcasm
lol deftone defending syk

He's a big enough pretentious smarty pants to defend himself, respectfully.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by deftonesordie
noisefarmer:

Cease and desist.

You his boyfriend?
Quote by dz_alias
You his boyfriend?
Nah, Jake is too masculine. And if I rolled that way, I'd be a pitcher not at catcher.
So what are you doing tonight, sweetie?

mysticus,

I looked at your switch complement and you just don't have enough poles to pull off all those changes. push-pulls are double pole, double throw. you need two poles to do series/parallel on a HB so one push-pull for EACH HB just to do that task.

Also, what are your rockers switches? How many lugs do they have? Maybe we could do something inventive there.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411