well people are always saying they use an overdrive to 'tighten up' their amp. from my experience it does the complete opposite to an extreme degree. the distortion becomes loose and flabby. am i deaf or am i missing something?

btw i have a ac15 and a blackstar ht-dist(set low gain high output)
It could be that the preamp section of your ac15 simply can't handle the extra input. It all depends on the amp you're using though. I'm sure some of them love being driven hard, and some don't.
the blackstar ht dist is a distortion pedal not a overdrive pedal, may be that
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by Jaekae
the blackstar ht dist is a distortion pedal not a overdrive pedal, may be that

+1

some distortion pedals can work as a boost or an OD, and some just don't.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
+1

some distortion pedals can work as a boost or an OD, and some just don't.

It's not just distortion pedals. Some OD pedals also fail to work as solely a boost. I once tried running a Fulltone FD2 into my Classic 50 (as just a boost, mind you) and it sounded terrible. My fuzz pedal makes a better boost, and that's saying something.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Also to tighten up your tone using an OD pedal you need to lower the gain on your amp while increasing the gain of the OD. If you have both of them maxed, it gets out of control and sounds like utter crap.
the blackstar sounds pretty normal for an overdrive (when its on an overdrive setting). i doubt that is the problem.

i reckon it probably the preamp. but are preamps really that different?
I think the difference lies in the poweramp of the AC15...

AC-15 doesn't have negative feedback around the poweramp. this is a big part of the classic AC-15 and AC-30 tone. However, if you drive it harder than it was meant to go (say, with a pedal), the poweramp can't cope very well with the extra drive and you perceive that as flub and looseness.

The AC series of amps are somewhat notorious for not liking certain pedals much. This is probably why...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
my amp doesn't seem to like the 2 ODs i've tried either. i have a mesa/boogie 50 caliber. tried a boss turbo-OD with the gain all the way off and the level up, and it just added noise, squeal and feedback. i recently bought a rocktron nitro boost (clean boost) and that just adds noise squeal and feedback
Quote by sethp
mesa/boogie

There's your problem. It actually says in some of the M/B manuals that squealing is normal...

That squealing is the onset of oscillation, wherein the amp starts picking up its own signal, amplifies itself, and runs out of control. It's like feedback from a microphone, only it's electronic and inside the amp.

Indicative of horrible layout and grounding techniques.

....sorry for the mini-rant. I don't like M/B.

Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
well everytime i try the thing out at sam ash with a CM-2 overdrive it sounds pretty kick ass and tight if i want it to be, or nice and raunchy at a medium gain level.

personally that amp coupled with the pedal i mentioned gives me all the distortion and crunch i need.
Quote by DLrocket89

That squealing is the onset of oscillation, wherein the amp starts picking up its own signal, amplifies itself, and runs out of control. It's like feedback from a microphone, only it's electronic and inside the amp.

Indicative of horrible layout and grounding techniques.
:

Or possibly indicative of an awesome fuzz pedal? I love oscillation

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
It's not just distortion pedals. Some OD pedals also fail to work as solely a boost. I once tried running a Fulltone FD2 into my Classic 50 (as just a boost, mind you) and it sounded terrible. My fuzz pedal makes a better boost, and that's saying something.

Did you use the Compcut setting? My FD2 sound beautiful through my Classic 50
i experienced this with my xxx too. od did not tighten at all
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Try it with the level down and the gain wherever you want it. I am not sure about the preamp on the AC15, but if you put too much signal into some amps, the preamps cannot handle the load and start sounding all flubby.
Some overdrives work better for tightening up a cranked tube amp than others. A Boss SD1 works really well for that because the SD1 cuts a lot of bass from the signal so you don't get the out of control flabby bass.
Quote by Holy-Diver
i experienced this with my xxx too. od did not tighten at all

If you can't tighten up your XXX with an OD, it's either a horrible OD or you are not setting the OD right to tighten your sound.

OD's "tightening" a gainy sound must be set up properly to do that. Dial in your gain sound on the amp first, then slide the gain off a touch on the amp. Then, set the OD gain to zero and the volume to full on. THAT'S how you use an OD to tighten your sound. Adding gain from the OD will just make things flabby. You have to use it like a clean boost, and if it's a good OD it will tighten up your amp like CRAZY.

My XXX has a bottom end that is a little bit loose, but with a Keeley modded Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive set with zero gain and full on volume, the thing is tight as vice grips for low end riffing.