I'm looking for a pair of monitor speakers to accompany my Line 6 POD x3. I know almost nothing about this area except the fact that monitor speakers do not color the sound as much as guitar amp.
My budget is roundly £200 which makes it around $270

So far I've found a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV 40. Looks quite beautiful to my eyes but I dunno if they're good compare to others.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by aidan-donovan
You can't get monitors worth having for under £600, just a heads up.

What makes them different from the lower budget ones? Since I will be playing in my bedroom there really don't need to be high wattage.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I will just hijack the thread. I'm also in the market for some monitors for my pc and I'm also using a POD X3. Budget would be as cheap as possible. But keep in mind that these are only for personal use so far and not for recording a record, just for me to learn and enjoy.

On a side note: Tja hminh87 where did you get the Agile from? did you order it from the states or is there a dealer in Sweden I wasn't aware of since I'm really inrested in one but can't find a Swedish dealer.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
^
Yeah. Exactly it. I will only want them for personal uses. As long as it can give me good bedroom jamming sound level I will be more than happy.

About Agile: I imported it from rondomusic. :P

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

How much did you pay for it? I'm asking since I'm really interested in a Silverburst Les Paul but a Gibson is too expansive and I can't find a use Epi. Also should I go with the 2100 or 3100? is the 3100 worth the extra money?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by hminh87
What makes them different from the lower budget ones?

The same thing that makes higher budget guitars, heads, cabs, computers, cars, phones, chairs, buildings, airplanes, boats, etc. different from lower budget ones. You're getting what you pay for, if you buy cheap speakers they won't sound good, you're not going to find a good sounding pair of monitors for $270.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by apollo66
The same thing that makes higher budget guitars, heads, cabs, computers, cars, phones, chairs, buildings, airplanes, boats, etc. different from lower budget ones. You're getting what you pay for, if you buy cheap speakers they won't sound good, you're not going to find a good sounding pair of monitors for $270.

No. they do because there is a demand for it. And because people have to compensate for other things I mean you don't need a guitar that tunes itself, you don't need 150 W amps, you don't need a car that can go more than 300 km\h, we don't need a building that is more than 1 km high and so on and so on. These things are only there for 2 reasons.
1.) BECAUSE WE CAN
and
2.) because there is a demand for it because peoples have small body parts that they HAVE to make up for.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
So, by your logic, a ford pinto is just as well made as a gallardo? A crate amp is as well made as a soldano? A hello kitty strat is as well made as a LP custom?

While you're correct in that things are generally overpriced, that still doesn't negate the fact that if you pay on a low budget, chances are you're going to sound low budget, and that you're not going to find a decent pair of monitors for $270.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
It is entirely possible to get a decent set of speakers for that price, he's not looking for top of the line studio monitors, just something that sounds DECENT.

The M-Audio Studiophiles are nice sounding and highly recommended by many people. I'm thinking of buying some myself when I can afford them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Now now. Be nice.
"You get what you pay for" is exactly what THEY want us to think. You'd surprised that the cost of building a "high-end" product is not far from normal budget ones. Beside, they are a whole bunch of monitors around 100~300 mark available out there. They can't be all bad, right?

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by apollo66
So, by your logic, a ford pinto is just as well made as a gallardo? A crate amp is as well made as a soldano? A hello kitty strat is as well made as a LP custom?

While you're correct in that things are generally overpriced, that still doesn't negate the fact that if you pay on a low budget, chances are you're going to sound low budget, and that you're not going to find a decent pair of monitors for $270.

But what is the point of the gallardo? to compensate for a small penis. no actually use for it beside that. I'm not saying that is not good made, just that it is of no actually use. Also it's dumb to take out the argument with the guitars. Point is both me and hminh87 do not have the budget or the need for a 600 $ monitor. we are not making any records we just want something that will sound better than the stock speaker in our PC/Laptop. I know it will not get as good as a sound as with a 1000 $ monitor.
Point is:
1. we both have a budget
2. we can not or don't want to get over said budget
3. we just want some good suggestions that won't let us sound like a Line6 spider III.

If you don't want to help.
F OFF!

EDIT: Another example i came up with. So after YOUR logic a US made custom shop guitar that costs 10000 $ will always be better than a Japanese made custom shop guitar which costs 5000 $ just because it costs more? think about it.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Mar 12, 2009,
My argument dealt solely with general build quality. Whether or not it is useful is irrelevant. You can keep bringing it up to make yourself feel better and so you can make little penis jokes that have been made a bajillion times and aren't clever anymore, but I'm ignoring it for a reason.

3. we just want some good suggestions that won't let us sound like a Line6 spider III.

And with the quoted budget, it will be difficult to fulfill choice #3.

You know, my point.

Anyway, I suppose you could check some of the lower-end KRK monitors, maybe some behringers, it should sound tolerable.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
I said BE NICE...

Anyway, a good friend of mine recommended me to buy a Acoustic or Keyboard amp for the POD. Is this a good idea?

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
I said BE NICE...

Anyway, a good friend of mine recommended me to buy a Acoustic or Keyboard amp for the POD. Is this a good idea?

That would be something you could do when you want to play live with the POD but not for monitoring. With a monitor you want something that colors your sound as less as possible.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
*coughs* bump *coughs*

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
anyone who can help with suggestions for cheap monitors?
come on.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by apollo66

actually, m-audio makes some great consumer level monitors for about $270. so, um, yeah.

but TS, also look up atomic amps.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
headphones!

then you don't even have to worry about bugging anyone with the 2am practice session.

also, check out yorkville monitors. they have active and passive solutions for a very reasonable price.

the guy above me mentioned atomic amps which kick a lot of ass. however since they are tube poweramps, its tough to say if its one of those things that sound better when cranked..

and yet at the same time.. i wonder if it'd make much difference since the pod would be the preamp for it..

hmmmm...
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by apollo66

he'd rather sound "low budget" then not make any sound at all in fact, im looking at the same sort of thing, i need some studio monitors, and my three options have been the m-audio AV40's, the fostex PM0.4W's, or i might just keep my eye out used.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
he'd rather sound "low budget" then not make any sound at all in fact, im looking at the same sort of thing, i need some studio monitors, and my three options have been the m-audio AV40's, the fostex PM0.4W's, or i might just keep my eye out used.

i mentioned the m-audios, they make some pretty good montiors. my friend has the set for $299, they sound very nice.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Since I on a very low budget I will take the M-Audio AV40. only 133 Euros at Thomann.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by chea_man
i mentioned the m-audios, they make some pretty good montiors. my friend has the set for $299, they sound very nice.

wait, the set is 299? on musiciansfriend it looks to me like 150 for the pair, am i missing something?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Yeah. buy them at thomann. 1500 kr + ~ 160 kr shipping.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
I'm getting one pair for 88 GBP. Which is roundly 95 EUR. Shipped :p

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
I'm getting one pair for 88 GBP. Which is roundly 95 EUR. Shipped :p

Can you give me a link?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
Can you give me a link?

http://www.dv247.com/invt/40032/

I made friend with one of the seller there so from time to time he's giving good deals :p

The only problem with buying electronic from England is their power cord. You will need a adapter to the regular two pins cord.

By the way, one of my friend is using a M-Audio Studiophile BX8A and speaks very highly of the pair. I think I'm getting it. Unless anyone here had or heard any issues with them.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Mar 12, 2009,
maybe we are talking about different ones. M audio makes multiple monitors.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
M-Audio monitors are not very good tbh. I would recommend these two.
Tapco S-5s - these are supposed to be great. The poor man's Mackies.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tapco-S5-Active-Studio-Monitor-Pair?sku=600291
Behringer Truths - yes, they are Behringers, but their monitors are actually pretty good. These are supposedly great budget monitors (I know several professional EDM producers who have released tracks produced using these).
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TRUTH-B2030A-Active-Monitors-Pair-?sku=600603

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.