I need a PA system for my band, but do not know what I should get. My drummer already has a mixer, but ppl tell me we need a Power Amp. What is a Power Amp? Why do we need it?

I was just going to buy some Kustom speakers that can handle up to 600W. Why cant we just run the mixer to the speakers
Budget?

+1 to carvin, a band we play shows with fairly often has one of their setups and it's fantastic.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Mar 12, 2009,
the power needs to come from something.

so if you have a mixer, then you need a separate amp and speakers.

or mixer+ powered speakers.

the other choice would be powered mixer and speakers.

or if you're on a budget, and in the US, phonic makes a couple of reasonably priced pa systems.
come all together.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I am willing to spend around $1,000 for a good PA system in its entirety
It would be like plugging your guitar straight into a speaker cab, you need something to amplify the signal, hence the power amp.
the lesser known of the 4
I just bought a ALTO 1200watt Power mixer and speakers for around $850.00. It is an Awesome set up. It is a 12 channel Mixer and very High quality sound. We only run 3 mics and drum mics through it and is is all we will ever need you should check them out.
questions you need to ask your drummer.

1. is the mixer powered or unpowered?

if the mixer is powered, all you need is speakers. the watts handling should be a bit over what the mixer puts out to be safe from not blowing the speakers.

if the mixer is unpowered, you need an amplifier, or amplifiers. these look like little boxes and run in conjunction with an unpowered mixer.

i run my full band setup through a 1000 (500 per speaker) watt powered Yamaha mixer and 2 700 watt speakers.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
It is for our practice space, but i would like to have something that we can use for gigs if we play somewhere with no PA system.

I don't think his mixer is powered. But I'm starting to get an idea of how to actually shop for PA equipment
Quote by BungToad
I am willing to spend around $1,000 for a good PA system in its entirety

we picked up a Kustom PA system about a year ago for under $800...two 2x15" cabs, the mixer, mics, stands, cables, etc. Its worked great for us...we mic guitars, bass, drums, keyboard, vocals, etc. through it as well.
damn i didnt know PA systems were that expensive, my band and i were only planning on spending about 500 not 800

well at least we know someone who'll let us borrow his setup and set it up for us (free) untill we get a system
Last edited by tukk04 at Mar 12, 2009,
decent full PA systems are expensive... dont go cheap you WILL regret it. my entire band piched in like 300 each and we got a system around 1200 and its great for any live show we play, or band practice. reliable too, we get no feedback, and have had no problems over the past year and a half.

our setup
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-EMX512SC-8Channel-Powered-Mixer-?sku=630191

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-S115V-2Way-15-Club-Series-V-Speaker-Pair?sku=600427
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
You don't have to get it all at the same time.
If you just need something for your vocals for now, get decent powered speaker (you don't have to go nuts with the $$$) and use the mixer. Add as needed.

Look for used gear too.
we just bought a second hand Peavy PA which is 2x1000 watts and contains power amp and mixer with two 15 inch bass bins and two 12 inch satellites with tweeters and stuff.

It cost us 650 quid of ebay and does practice and live really well, peavy is definately the way to go, every Peavy PA i'v played through has been great and really good robust quality.

Stay clear of berringer for speakers btw, they have very little headroom so will distort easily.
Quote by fnkycandle
I just bought a ALTO 1200watt Power mixer and speakers for around $850.00. It is an Awesome set up. It is a 12 channel Mixer and very High quality sound. We only run 3 mics and drum mics through it and is is all we will ever need you should check them out.

im trying to find this on the internet but cannot. do you know where i can get it?
Quote by BungToad
im trying to find this on the internet but cannot. do you know where i can get it?

ebay, musiciansfriend, guitarcenter.com
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo