I have just returned from my first REAL show, it was great, fun, I wasn;t even nervous and my band members were great, and the crowd even better.

But I think we could still improve. What are some good stage moves, how can I practice doing them without messing up the song and just generally how can I better my stage presence?
Get the audience involved, either by singing or clapping or something simple, just to make them feel like part of it.
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
communicate with the audience, say stuff like 'u having a good time tonight' and stuff like tht. i wouldnt go out on stage and be like, right im gonna jump off this or whatever, just do what comes best and really get into the music and let yourself free. it doesnt matter if you mess up a bit, if you have a good band then they'll keep things together and you can get back to normal ways. no one should be perfect on stage, alot of bands such as blink 182 and aload others are messy live but still great.
Quote by guitaristben
communicate with the audience, get into the music and let yourself free.

That.
Quote by iLikekittens
Bite off a bat's head.

Marry a crabby old trout. Have two ugly obese spoilt brats and drag them from pillar-to-post throughout their childhood so they have really wierd accents.
depends on what genre ur playing, that can basically determine what to do.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Basically if you're truly having a good time and enjoy the music you're playing then it will come across to the audience. There's nothing worse than watching someone on stage who is trying to fake a bunch of moves, poses, etc. Don't be a tree either. If you're having fun, then it will show naturally.
So about Stage Presence I got a few ideas here:

Kamelot- EdenEcho
Lets look at Khan from Kamelot concert where they are preforming EdenEcho:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vD0JBuZ16w

Okey first of all - notice how he starts the song, spreading the hands out like wings at the right spot in the song. This creates a really strong stage presence, if you ask me.

Second, notice when he sings, he goes to one knee and then sorta interacts with the crowd.

Third part, Notice the lyrics: "But how come I want you, like the earth yearns for the rain!" Notice when he says "rain" he stretches his hand out in the air.

Then he later walks on the stage but he interacts with the whole crowd and makes eye-contact, and making eye-contact is really what makes a good stage presence too.

Nightwish - Wishmaster
Look at this jump Emppu makes, he almost adds a new level of intensity to the song and makes the people on the stage really look alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdx2G_3XFzc

And if you have access to do a light show sometime:

See how the lights can help here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHvnD7o08Fs (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLXQh6PKdh4&feature=related (Part 2)
-Nightwish - Poet and the Pendulum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnAKUauvayc
-Nightwish - Planet Hell at the End of an Era

These might not be the bands or music you like but still look at this and see how to make a stage presence
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
just make it look like you want to be there, which will make the audience feel better towards you guys. The rest of it will come to you.

And with 'illegal' downloading being so popular of recent times, the importance of how good bands perform in the next decade or so will greatly effect whether they are able to continue with this lifestyle.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer

And with 'illegal' downloading being so popular of recent times, the importance of how good bands perform in the next decade or so will greatly effect whether they are able to continue with this lifestyle.

Since you mention illegal downloading, I am wondering when it will truely become illegal, there is nothing done about this This will be a serious problem in the future for musicians.
And with these wings

-Symphony X
- Talk to the crowd between songs or even during songs (just make sure you pick the right moment or you'll look like a prick). Compliments are good, like telling them you enjoy playing for them.
- Try raising your hands above your head and clapping to signal that you want the crowd to do the same. That'll make them feel involved.
- Small things like tapping your heel (not your toe because the heel makes your leg move more) can give a visual feel of the rhythm which people will unconsciously copy.
- Headbang when/if appropriate, gives you an image of energy.
- Find a few poses to play in, they don't have to be anything fancy, just stuff like angling the guitar when you're soloing.
- A final thing would be to exaggerate your picking motions at some of the slower parts. For instance, move your hand further away from the guitar before you strum and make it look like you're really hitting the strings with some force.
Hope some of that helped.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by Gulli05
Since you mention illegal downloading, I am wondering when it will truely become illegal, there is nothing done about this This will be a serious problem in the future for musicians.

Yeah an interesting point, but the problem is of course, that it's hard to stop. People will always find ways as long as we have the internet and broad connections. I personally think the uses of labels now are pretty dead for things other then promotion in my opinion, since recording is so much cheaper now a days thanks to technology, and fans can be accessed through myspace and such.

The music world is changing, and no-one knows just where it's heading.
Last edited by AwesomeDrummer at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by Highwaytohell
Watch some Led Zeppelin, Jimi hendrix, The Who, and some Black Sabbath vids. They pioneered stage persona.

i say this one
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
Well you know MODERN stage persona. Before them there was Chuck Berry, T-Bone Walker etc etc.- Just remember the key to stage persona is a simple rule - Sex. Basically the whole stage persona is an emulation of, sex... if you think about it.
Haha, thanks, everything you guys are describing is exactly what our singer was doing. And you're right, being messy live doens't matter much. I messed up at least once, but the rest of the band covered for me and the audience barely noticed.

Oh and if anyone is interested here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oc9HVyHNI4

I'm the one on the far right. I'm actually kind of embarrased, I could have done better....ALOT better.... and there wasn't much space on stage so moving around was.....yah

But look at the crowd at the second half. XD
The singer was great - the rest of you just need move around some more. It didn't look like you guys had a lot of space but be sure to make full use of what you do have. Take some of the advice given to you here and also learn from your singer - he's a bit over the top but it's rock and roll so that's okay.

Compared to the instruments, the vocals were a little loud but that was probably out of your control. Nice job for your first show though, keep it up.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
Yeah an interesting point, but the problem is of course, that it's hard to stop. People will always find ways as long as we have the internet and broad connections. I personally think the uses of labels now are pretty dead for things other then promotion in my opinion, since recording is so much cheaper now a days thanks to technology, and fans can be accessed through myspace and such.

The music world is changing, and no-one knows just where it's heading.

Still, I for example hate seeing my favorite bands lose money because of some cheap bastards who think downloading illegally is okey.
Also to add here: I BUY THE ALBUMS FROM BANDS I LIKE!!![/B]

But you are right about technology, luckily most musicians (At least the ones I listen to) have their own professional studio at home.
I mean I got a Sonar 7 Producer at home

But all I hope is that this won't cause the world of music to minimize into nothing cause bands cannot make a living because everyone downloads their album.
And with these wings

-Symphony X