Another post here at UG kinda "inspired" me to write about my own progress.

I've been playing for about 2 months now (basically whenever I have time) and I kinda wanted to check in with UG and see how I was doing.

If you want to hear some of my stuff, check out my profile.

Let me start with this:

The only instrument I've ever played before this was the trumpet
I have had no lessons (all self-taught and whatever videos I can find online)

So, I'm really just starting out.

I'm learning riffs to some songs, and I'll watch some video lessons I have on my computer.

I really want to make sure I'm learning this all right.

What should I be practicing? I feel like I'm just randomly grabbing tabs and attempting to play them.

I really don't have the time or the money for lessons, but I know I can learn a lot of this stuff on my own.

What should I be learning?

Thanks!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
You should maybe find a couple of basic scales (and chords if you haven't already) and then strength excersises which will help you progress along.

You could also invest in a metronome (If you dont already have on) to play along to and make sure your posture is corect, you don't want to get a load of bad habits in when you start (Like I did )
Check the techniques forum for some excersises to do
Quote by liam-rooney
You should maybe find a couple of basic scales (and chords if you haven't already) and then strength excersises which will help you progress along.

You could also invest in a metronome (If you dont already have on) to play along to and make sure your posture is corect, you don't want to get a load of bad habits in when you start (Like I did )
Check the techniques forum for some excersises to do

I actually have a metronome, and I have some videos that talk about proper posture as well.

But I'll check out the techniques forum later.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Good on ya - sounds like you're doing ok for 2 months I'm not far ahead of you - just hit my 6 month point, but I'm cheating - I've got a teacher Only comment I'd have is some of your timing is a little wonky (then again so is mine) but that might be because you're trying to go a bit fast - and because you're recording yourself. Its amazing what hitting that red button can do to your playing ability

Looks like you know how to play power chords, so I'd learn some 12 and 8 bar blues progressions using power chords if you haven't already - its an easy way to learn something you can just play when you feel like jamming. Learn the basic open chords if you haven't already, and have a look at the first position of the pentatonic minor scale. Then when you've recorded some blues progressions you can practice improvising over them using the pentatonic scale
just keep learning your fave songs and learn the minor scale and the pentatonic which isnt much different.

if a song is in a major key play the minor scale 3 frets down and it will fit

just improvise and stuff
in terms of scales, i have such a poor memory that it would have taken me years to learn them all and apply them to the neck, so i basically did what you're doing and just learned from tabs and played songs that i liked. i've been playing about 8-9 years now and i know my scales back to front just through playing certain songs with those scales in.
admittedly, just sitting down and learning them would have been quicker by about 7 years :P but my way is more fun i think.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by zhilla
It's amazing what hitting that red button can do to your playing ability

I know, right? Suddenly I get all nervous and stuff. But when I'm practicing by myself I play a lot better
get timing down! but it doesnt have to be up to speed. but make sure its even.. ie using a metronome. listenin to your stuff its pretty whacky timing. learn the basic major scale. and the 1st position of the minor pent. and have fun! these will help you in the long run, and it will help strengthen your fingers..( o yea make sure you ALTERNATE PICK!)