Okay first, does anyone have any tips on making it easier to sing and play at the same time(including songwriting and tips in general)

And second, can i have some suggestions for songs to practice with my band

heres the songs i can sing and play so far:

Floyd the Barber-Nirvana
Brain Stew-Greenday
Remedy-Seether
Polly-Nirvana(still working on singing without missing chords)
About A Girl-Nirvana

and songs i can play but cant sing yet:

Fake It-Seether
Drain You-Nirvana
Lithium-Nirvana
American Idiot-Greenday
Just Like You-3DG
Never Too Late-3DG

And i know a bunch of other songs but i want learn these for my band

im up for suggestion of any genre, metal, grunge, post grunge,punk,etc.(but no emo!)
and im the only guitarist so i would have to change the song a little for ones with harmonies
Last edited by tukk04 at Mar 12, 2009,
steps to help
Play the song (music) focus on music but sing a melody not words, so ur not thinking of that
replay the song focus on singing keeping the standing chord progression, dont worry about rhythm or stuff like that

slowly merge the song together increasing the amount of syllables sung and rhythm pattern matched

Learn Broken Bones by birds of tokyo
SKin and bones foo fighters
Good advice Martindecorum.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing as the band I just joined needs backing vocals. I split the two into seperate processes. I play the song (I'm a bassist) until I can do it without thinking about chord changes or arrangement. I sing my parts without playing until I feel like I don't have to keep adjusting my pitch *after* I hear the vocal.

Essentially, I do both seperately until I can do them well.

Then I bring the two together by playing along with the demo and singing my part note-wise. No words, just 'la la la' on the note. I slowly work in the actual lyrics.

It is a longer process than most people I know but my talent on bass far exceeds my singing ability. I have to really slow it down to make sure I can concentrate on each thing.
basically, ive found the trick is to practice each (singing, and playing) seperately until they both are second nature. if you have to think about either, youll **** up for sure. usually the guitar part is more important to have down, i guess practice doing something else while playing to the song, like reading or talking to someone or just thinking to yourself. and then make sure you know the lyrics perfectly, then just put them together and practice practice practice.

As you might know, most bands spend alot of time rehearsing new material before touring for a new album.

you seem to be on the right track with your selections, nirvana and green day are good to start with as they are quite simple on both sides. as for other songs id say just stick to what your doing, and kind of think about the difficulty of any rythem parts of a song you want to learn.

maybe add some offspring or puddle of mud and what not.
Electro Metal???

myspace.com/lividarchaic
seven nation army/ white stripes (I think that is the name of the band)
withered/ atomship
those are pretty easy to sing and play guitar to. My band plays those two and they sound good and get good feed back from the audience.
One other thing I need to mention: no matter how good you think you are in practice it is much more difficult to sing live. Monitor mixes (if you have them) can be shoddy and you will spend a lot of time singing without really being able to hear yourself as well as you'd like.

You'd best be very comfortable with what you are doing so you *know* you sound good without needed the aural feedback.
Quote by Neo_Towel
basically, ive found the trick is to practice each (singing, and playing) seperately until they both are second nature. if you have to think about either, youll **** up for sure. usually the guitar part is more important to have down, i guess practice doing something else while playing to the song, like reading or talking to someone or just thinking to yourself. and then make sure you know the lyrics perfectly, then just put them together and practice practice practice.

As you might know, most bands spend alot of time rehearsing new material before touring for a new album.

you seem to be on the right track with your selections, nirvana and green day are good to start with as they are quite simple on both sides. as for other songs id say just stick to what your doing, and kind of think about the difficulty of any rythem parts of a song you want to learn.

maybe add some offspring or puddle of mud and what not.

offspring is one of my favorate bands so ill take that for use, but i know im going in the right direction, ive been playing guitar for a little over a year and i normally play harder stuff but i wanted to work my way up so i can sing too, because we cant find a singer so im taking that responsibility