Alright, so I'm planning on getting a Jackson USA Soloist, the one with the 2 SC's in neck and middle positions and a humbucker in the bridge. I have a Japanese Dinky with EMGs and I love it, but I wan't something more versatile that can play softer stuff, and with more sustain, like the neck-thru will deliver. I can't find a Soloist to play anywhere, so I was just gonna order it from Musician's Friend here in the Cherry Burst.

But I recently played a few PRS's a little out of my price range and they sounded amazing. I found a crap load of used one's on eBay and Guitar Center's Used Online Store. The McCarty Model and the 22 Standard sounded amazing, plus some of them had a 5-way rotary switch to get some single-coil tone. The stop bar was really comfortable, although I like playing with Floyd Roses because of the low action they give me. But these had great fast action as well. I found about a dozen in my price range of around $2000.

So anyone with any of these guitars, could you give me some pros and cons of each instrument? The sound, what kind of style you play, etc. I'd really appreciate it.

I play a Peavey VK 212 with 6 tubes. I run my guitar through an EH Metal Muff, MXR Analog Delay, EH Small Clone, and a Dunlop Fasel Crybaby. I occasionally use my Boss GT-8, but I'm not crazy about the digital sound it has. I play lots of metal:Thrash, Doom, Sludge, Old classic stuff(Stuff like Megadeth and Metallica to Savatage all the way to Black Sabbath and Down), Heavy Blues/Blues Rock like Led Zeppelin and The Who, and progressive stuff like Opeth, Dream Theater, and Wishbone Ash. Also some lead folk guitar, very clean sounding like Neil Young. So my style is pretty broad. I want a guitar that can do heavy rhythms to slow, melodic runs. I appreciate the help! Thanks.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
id say if your playing metal the jackson is where u need to head. my friends got a dinky and an RR and they sound better than most guitars ive played, and i waste hours at guitar center and sam-ash. probably doesnt help much but yea, theres my input.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Get a PRS.

They are amazingly versatile guitars, and can do pretty much anything you want.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I have a SL2HT. I use it to play everything from Megadeth type to BB King style blues. Very versatile guitar. I have lots of other guitars but this is my main axe.
My dad has a PRS CU22, I own a USA soloist, and we both agree: with distortion, de Jackson sounds much more defined and clear, less muddy, more balls.
Clean, the CU22 wins, although the jackson doesnt get far behind.

Pro's for the soloist: playability on higher frets, tone in overdrive/distortion, impeccable craftmanship and finish, very high quality used materials, weighs not much.

Cons for the soloist: asks more maintenance due to floyd, locking nut, more difficult to intonate, set up, ...

Pro's for the CU22: tone in clean settings is jawdropping, incredible craftmanship and finish (maybe even a tad better than the Jackson, but as they both are impeccable, its hard to say), very high quality used materials, less maintenance needed, easy to set up and intonate.

Cons for the CU22: playability compared to the Jackson is alot less (certainly on higher frets), weighs alot more, tends to sound more muddy and undefined with overdrive than the Jackson.

They also both have a totally other neck profile, which makes it totally different guitars to play. The jackson is fast as hell, the PRS just rests very comfy in your hands.

I'd say: try them both, they are superb guitars.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Mar 12, 2009,
Thanks for the input guys.

I would play both, but I can't find a soloist in any store.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

Bury Me In Smoke
^^ +1, pretty much. they're different styles of guitars (as i'm sure you know already)- neither is really "better" objectively, but for your specific situation, one or other may be.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
From a typical guitar tech, how much would it be to coil tap two humbuckers?
Quote by rancidryan

Bury Me In Smoke
that's going to depend on several things- whether the stock pickups are 4-conductor or not (if they aren't, i think you *can* split them, but it's extra work and might just be handier to buy new 4-conductor pickups), whether you have to buy new push-pull pots, etc. plus some techs are more expensive than others. once you've paid for all that, though, it's just more or less a wiring job.

i know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's better than giving you a concrete cost which turns out to be wrong...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?