Well i've been reading this forum since I started playing guitar and thought I may as well sign up but anyway I need a bit of advice.

I've been playing a year now and I'm just starting to play live quite a bit, I want to update my gear a bit but i don't know whether to upgrade my amp or guitar first and really what to upgrade them to.

I'm playing a Yamaha Pacifica (112L I think)

through a Roland Cube 30X

With a Korg Toneworks AX3000G multi effects unit

I like playing softer rock and some older stuff like Red Hot Chilli Peppers Guns and Roses although a bit more heavy like Metallica and a little bit of Bullet For My Valentine but nothing to metally. I'm also getting into blues a little bit but my main focus is mainstream rock like RHCP and Muse.

Im looking to spend 450-600 GBP on a guitar or 200-300 on a amp.

Thanks
Last edited by The Ax3man at Mar 12, 2009,
For those of us in the US:
450 - 600 GBP = $620 - $826 (US Dollars)

I've played on a Cube 30X and I liked it a lot, so if you're just practicing I'd say upgrade your guitar.

As for what guitar to buy, that budget (at least in the US) gives you quite a number of options.

You could possibly even buy a better guitar and amp in that price range.

My advice, regardless of what you buy, is to buy used. That goes for both guitars and amps. Check your local used listings (like Craigslist) and see what's available. Buying used will almost always get you the most for your money.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
get an esp ldt ec-1000. it as my first "real" guitar so to speak and you can get it with the duncans it is a sweet guitar at an amazing value. i very highly recommend it
Quote by the.eliminator
get an esp ldt ec-1000. it as my first "real" guitar so to speak and you can get it with the duncans it is a sweet guitar at an amazing value. i very highly recommend it

The esp looks good but i get the feeling it's designed more for metalcore and death metal more than what i'm looking at playing.
You could probably get a better amp and guitar for that price. The Ibanez RG and ART series have some less expensive guitars that play very well for the price. This will leave some money left over for a better amp.
if you're starting to play live, i'd swap those budgets around- spend more on the amp.

it's probably worthwhile upgrading both (assuming you can upgrade both), as you already have one of the best beginner guitars combined with one of the best beginner amps (good choices, in other words ).

how much BFMV-style metal are you playing? there are plenty of nice amps around the £600 mark which will do the rock thing very well indeed (e.g. orange rocker 30, vox ac30cc, marshall dsl/jvm), but they won't do the modern metal thing too well. if you get very lucky, either on something which is ex-demo, or just go second-hand, a laney tt50 combo or engl screamer combo would cover you for most of those styles... but you'd want to try both in case they sound too modern for the rock stuff you want to play (in the case of the engl, anyway).

if you like your current guitar, maybe even a pickup upgrade might be worth considering... i'd suggest a yamaha pacifica 612V, but i'm sure you'd prefer a bit of a change... washburn x50 pro, maybe? you used to be able to pick them up for £300, if you look hard enough you might still find one online at that price...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

how much BFMV-style metal are you playing? there are plenty of nice amps around the £600 mark which will do the rock thing very well indeed (e.g. orange rocker 30, vox ac30cc, marshall dsl/jvm), but they won't do the modern metal thing too well. if you get very lucky, either on something which is ex-demo, or just go second-hand, a laney tt50 combo or engl screamer combo would cover you for most of those styles... but you'd want to try both in case they sound too modern for the rock stuff you want to play (in the case of the engl, anyway).

BFMV is really the heaviest i'd ever want generally rock just short of metal is what I'm intrested in and I wont something that can do the smoother calmer tones too.
I have a Yamaha Pacifica and some cheap amp (which I think sounds good) and I upgraded my guitar to a ESP KH 202 custom that my teacher was selling for £600, a great investment. ESP's are good or look at epiphone if you like guns N' Roses and wanna be a Slash poser!
Buy used, look for a valveking with some sort of guitar in the 400 range, possibly a schecter of some sort, dont really know what to suggest atm, or maybe an Ibanez RG
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Yeah get a guitar with all the money
cos 30 watts is ok if you dont need to gig and stuff
Quote by yellowsnow4free
For those of us in the US:
450 - 600 GBP = $620 - $826 (US Dollars)
Yes but it isn't applicable. Guitar distribution rarely accounts for exchange rates, and then we're paying the VAT and excessive import duties (even if we're not the ones importing a piece of gear, the distributors and shops themselves have to pay import duties on anything which wasn't made in the UK, i.e. almost everything); something that is $600 in America tends to cost around £600 in the UK. Something that costs $4000 in America tends to cost around £4000 in the UK. Yes, we are getting screwed.

Which is why generally in gear suggestion threads, there's no point American users worrying about exchange rates and whatever.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Yes but it isn't applicable. Guitar distribution rarely accounts for exchange rates, and then we're paying the VAT and excessive import duties (even if we're not the ones importing a piece of gear, the distributors and shops themselves have to pay import duties on anything which wasn't made in the UK, i.e. almost everything); something that is $600 in America tends to cost around £600 in the UK. Something that costs $4000 in America tends to cost around £4000 in the UK. Yes, we are getting screwed.

Which is why generally in gear suggestion threads, there's no point American users worrying about exchange rates and whatever.

Yeah, I figured as much, but I just Googled the conversion
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by The Ax3man
BFMV is really the heaviest i'd ever want generally rock just short of metal is what I'm intrested in and I wont something that can do the smoother calmer tones too.

ok... i guess just try all those ones i suggested to see which you like the most. BFMV is pretty heavy, it's just a matter of trying as many amps as you can to see which you like best, and which will do the tones you want best.

Quote by CrazyJet
I have a Yamaha Pacifica and some cheap amp (which I think sounds good) and I upgraded my guitar to a ESP KH 202 custom that my teacher was selling for £600, a great investment. ESP's are good or look at epiphone if you like guns N' Roses and wanna be a Slash poser!

dude, i already told you before that, assuming that's the LTD version and not the "real" ESP version, that you got robbed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can find an Ibanez SZ320, get it. I just got one and it can do everything for RHCP to Metallica to Guns N Roses. Sexy guitar
New guitar, Pac man has the right idea. Ibanez rg350dx? Or what about the S one (ill go find out the name).

Edit: It's called the Ibanez S470, the ZR trem is was better than the 350dx. Is he looking for something like that?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Last edited by splamron at Mar 13, 2009,
Since your in the UK, here's what you want to do.
WASHBURN
A Washburn worth £300 here sells for $600 in the states. You're getting massive quality, for half the price.
I'd recommend this Washburn: http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=7009&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison
Or this: http://machinehead.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/652 (You don't have to get it with the spalted maple. You can get with a quilt maple and stained top)
Both fantastic guitars for a fantastic value.
And with the leftover money, perhaps invest in a new amp or some pedals. But I don't know much about those.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me