Been thinking of taking the leap to tube amps. Have a decent cab already, and was thinking of getting the peavey valveking 100w head. It seems like an unbelievable deal at €444 delivered to my doorstep for a 2-channel all tube monster. I've been reading all the reviews and info i can find and haven't heard anything bad yet. Just thought I'd check with you geniuses here first the windsor looks pretty good too though... so I dunno. Also the crate v100h seems like good value for money. Really all i need is a kick ass clean tone as my pedals tend to do the rest but if I can get a nice JCM saturated tube overdrive or distortion too, then I wouldn't be complaining much either....

Anyhow, let me know!
of the 3, valveking is much, much better.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by apollo66
of the 3, valveking is much, much better.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the info.

Just wondering... Have you played all 3 yourself?
It really depends on the type of music you play. The windsor is a great amp, but lacks cleans and needs a boost to do any modern metal. Perfect amp if you like classic rock tones...I play metal on mine fine with an MXR 10-band EQ and metal muff. The valveking is a more modern metal voiced amp (compared to the windsor), and can get into the metal territory, but I thought the amp was really muddy when I tried it. The crate v-series have really good cleans, but I've never played the v100. My v18 has really good overdrive, GREAT cleans, but can't really do metal well.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Mar 12, 2009,
I haven't played the Windsor, but one of my friends has the Crate with a full stack (complete overkill) and it sounds alright but it didn't really have the tone I was looking for. I've fooled around with the valveking a few times and it's a great sounding amp for the money. None of them were really the tone I was personally looking for, but I did enjoy the valveking.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by eyebanez333
It really depends on the type of music you play. The windsor is a great amp, but lacks cleans and needs a boost to do any modern metal. Perfect amp if you like classic rock tones...I play metal on mine fine with an MXR 10-band EQ and metal muff. The valveking is a more modern metal voiced amp (compared to the windsor), and can get into the metal territory, but I thought the amp was really muddy when I tried it. The crate v-series have really good cleans, but I've never played the v100. My v18 has really good overdrive, GREAT cleans, but can't really do metal well.

The heaviest I get is a boss ds-2 running simulataneously with a boss bd-2. I was hoping to try to get another slightly heavier maybe more compressed setting. Wouldn't be looking for a metal tone at all... I play alt-rock stuff cross between biffy clyro, nirvana, foo fighters yadayadayada....
Quote by gerardwayne
The heaviest I get is a boss ds-2 running simulataneously with a boss bd-2. I was hoping to try to get another slightly heavier maybe more compressed setting. Wouldn't be looking for a metal tone at all... I play alt-rock stuff cross between biffy clyro, nirvana, foo fighters yadayadayada....

Never heard of them.

And personally, I think the Windsor would get you better JCM tones (seeing as it's based off the hotrodded Marshall circuits AND runs EL-34s...). I just plain didn't like the Valveking
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Budget?
Home or Gig?
Genres?
New or Used?
Location?

€500ish but hopefully less
Both practice and gig
Alt-rock, pop rock, grunge
Either or
Ireland
Last edited by gerardwayne at Mar 12, 2009,
I would say get the Windsor then. The Valveking would work if you needed a dedicated clean channel and wanted to push it into metal territory with some pedals. It won't excel at overdriven JCM tones. The Windsor does a better job of that. And it's cheaper. They are $260-$300 here in the States.
^ He said he needed cleans, which he won't get with the Windsor.

I love my VK, I would recommend it to anyone on a budget. It's a try before you buy thing; some love them, some hate them.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Ooops. Missed that.

Yes it is love/hate on the VK.

Windsor still sounds closer to JCM.

I love/hate my Valveking

What about a Classic 30 TS?

the classic 30 should be great for alt. rock
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I wouldn't recommend the c30 for alt rock, the Valveking's distortion is perfect for that sound. It's the only amp I've ever played that gets close to that Nirvana distortion sound without a DS-1.

And it's got good cleans, certainly better than the Windsor. I also find it to have more character than the c30, which I thought was pretty flat and lifeless.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales