i used the searchbar first and i found nothing of substance.

my question is basically the title, this thread is about using two heads for a stereo sound. basically, how to do this, the ups, the downs, and the gear needed.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need an A/B/Y box for this? Or a pedal that's got a stereo/mono output?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
A/B/Y box or a stereo cab.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by apollo66
A/B/Y box or a stereo cab.

Nice - I was right.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
You obviously didnt search hard enough because there I see a thread exactly like this ever few days.

But to answer the question - A/B/Y box.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Mar 12, 2009,
███████████████████████████████████
If you have a stereo effect pedal and two amps you're good to go.

If you're using heads you'll need two cabs unless you head and cab are both stereo, or else if you have a stereo head you'll need two cabs. Make sure to get ohms right though, or you'll end up causing yourself more trouble than this is worth.

Just plug in to the pedal - say a a boss bf-3 - and take two more cables running out to your two amps. Your amps should be set to pretty much the same tone and volume or it'll sound messed up. Doing this with flanger or phaseer or chorus pedals works really well. Can sound like you're standing in the middle of a tornado.

Downside - you can usually only ever one stereo effect as they usually only have a mono input. If you wanted to run two different stereo effects you'd need three amps. One for main, and one for each of the other two stereo effects. Also you'll piss off every engineer you ever meet because it'll take you ages to soundcheck, and they might not be used making to or able to make the effects come out stereo through the house pa.

If i could draw you a diagram it'd be a lot easier to follow but my keyboard won't let me.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You obviously didnt search hard enough because there I see a thread exactly like this ever few days.

But to answer the question - A/B/Y box.

In fairness to the guy it can be hard to find stuff with the sheer amount of different threads on here, and then you often go scrolling through pages and pages of replies. If there's someone here online now who can give him an answer, why not let him get his problem sorted quick and easy. Then delete any threads that aren't 3+star rated after a week? Just a thought...
Quote by gerardwayne
In fairness to the guy it can be hard to find stuff with the sheer amount of different threads on here, and then you often go scrolling through pages and pages of replies. If there's someone here online now who can give him an answer, why not let him get his problem sorted quick and easy. Then delete any threads that aren't 3+star rated after a week? Just a thought...

+1,000,000

Seriously - the search bar is almost useless unless you're searching for an exisiting title verbatim or have an obscene amount of free time to sift through every thread with the word "amp" and "box" in them.

I tried searching for a BASS AMP thread, and was getting results from the PIT, acoustic guitar, lyrics and songwriting, and various other unrelated stuff. Probably 1/5 of the total thread count were even related to bass guitar or amps.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by gerardwayne

Because this is considered spam and its just cluttering up the forums even more. Threads like these also waste the time of people who have already answered the question being asked a million times.

Thats the whole point of the searchbar - Tona found 3 identical threads from the past two weeks easy enough. Therefore the TS could have just as easily found those threads.
Quote by strat0blaster
+1,000,000

Seriously - the search bar is almost useless unless you're searching for an exisiting title verbatim or have an obscene amount of free time to sift through every thread with the word "amp" and "box" in them.

I tried searching for a BASS AMP thread, and was getting results from the PIT, acoustic guitar, lyrics and songwriting, and various other unrelated stuff. Probably 1/5 of the total thread count were even related to bass guitar or amps.

this is what happens. i get threads from every other forum. maybe they should make the searchbar search only this forum, or have the option.
and as for this being spam, i dont see how it is. it is a legitimate question and leaves room for discussion.
what i was thinking of doing was running a xxx and a 6505 stereo with two cabinets and was wondering how this could be accomplished, and whether or not it would sound good. i also wanted to hear some pros and cons to this idea.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Theres a difference between running 2 amps off an A/B box which would be mono split. And using a true stereo pedal. I use a stereo chorus to give me a left and right amp in my rig.
so how would that work?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Tackleberry
Theres a difference between running 2 amps off an A/B box which would be mono split. And using a true stereo pedal. I use a stereo chorus to give me a left and right amp in my rig.

Not an A/B box - an A/B/Y. A/B boxes only allow you to use one signal path or the other. A/B/Y will allow you to use both the A signal and B signal at the same time, thus allowing you to play through both amps at the same time.
can someone please make a diagram or something? of how this would work
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
~~~~~~~~A/B/Y Box ---> Amp (a) input
Guitar---> {
~~~~~~~~A/B/Y Box ---> Amp (b) input

Amp (a) can be on or off and amp (b) can be on or off or both of them run together at the same time.

But a better option is running a pedal with a built in buffer or booster.

Example The Tripler

It basically allows you to run up to three amps at once or separately. But the kicker is it has a clean boost built in to compensate for the level drop when you split the signal to two or three amps. So you don't have that volume drop you would on an everyday aby. Works great and improved the sound overall over my standard aby.
thanks ibanez
so would you reccommend the tripler? if so, where would i buy one?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
thanks ibanez
so would you reccommend the tripler? if so, where would i buy one?

Your welcome

Its a great pedal.... Only issue is there have been a few bad reviews about it due to a grounding issue but its a super simple fix if yours does make noise. And for the price you cant beat it. Any Morley dealer should be able to get one ordered for you.
so... would this setup sound good? i dont have a 6505, but i know a number of people who do.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
so... would this setup sound good? i dont have a 6505, but i know a number of people who do.

Should sound great, mixing dark and bright amps together covers alot of ground sonically and really opens up the options. Thats pretty much what im doing with my setup. I like to have both amps polar opposite so the sound comes together as a whole. Example when you turn one of them off the sound is so so because one is bright and pumping out alot of mids and the other dark and a bit scooped. But when both are turned on its a match maid in heaven.
well im gonna try it out then
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION