So, i just got a new guitar. Schecter Damien FR. She's a beauty. I'm psyched!

Needless to say, i spent about 4 hours yesterday practicing and when i was done, i noticed i was covered in blood...i mean...it sprayed all over me.... I was covered in little spraylets of gore. I couldnt tell where the hell it was coming from. I looked all over the place but i didnt have any cuts....

I wiped off my guitar, washed my hands and noticed that the entire side of my thumb was raw and dripping blood, the strings went through my skin like a cheese slicer.

So i'm wondering...is there a way to prevent this in the future? Has this happened to you?!
Last edited by CudOfCow at Mar 12, 2009,
Yeah, have you changed your strings yet?? LOL

I've seen many a musician play until they bleed- my best friend dropped his pick on stage, and continued the song with just his bare fingers- sprayed blood allover the place. It was pretty awesome. It just means you're a dedicated musician. Keep it up!
ouch - check the ends of your frets have been finished off properly! :/

Congrats on the new guitar though

o.0 maybe its evul....
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Yeah, have you changed your strings yet?? LOL

I've seen many a musician play until they bleed- my best friend dropped his pick on stage, and continued the song with just his bare fingers- sprayed blood allover the place. It was pretty awesome. It just means you're a dedicated musician. Keep it up!

Haha I had a friend that had the exact same thing happen to him!
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black pucks with sticks.

Quote by sw1ss023
awesomeness scares me
he makes me want to scream "wee"
he gives me a boner

My Band - Facebook

Twitter - Metal_Quotes

last.fm

-jakewilliams.tumblr.com
Clean the cut up well with water, and wipe/spray antiseptic stuff on it. You might have some nasty bits of metal in there.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Clean the cut up well with water, and wipe/spray antiseptic stuff on it. You might have some nasty bits of metal in there.

I could not agree more.
Quote by Mazzakazza

MMMmmmmm Tetnus!!! What confuses me most is that the strings are brand new, they are really shiny....maybe thats the reason?
Quote by CudOfCow
MMMmmmmm Tetnus!!! What confuses me most is that the strings are brand new, they are really shiny....maybe thats the reason?

It could be that you cut it on the bridge or something; take a ball of cotton and gentle (really gently) move it over the bridge, strings, anywhere that your thumb may have been in contact with. If there's any bad spots or nicks in the metal, some cotton will stick on there.
Last edited by Y00p at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by Bille joe6
ThisThreadIsWortlessWithOutPics

hahahahha, i WISH i got pictures of myself covered in blood....METAL!
You said its your thumb, not your fingers...fretting hand or picking hand?
Yea, you might want to put some iodine on it. The strings might look clean but it needs to be cleaned and iodine does the trick. (but it burns like a bitch!)
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Quote by zhilla
You said its your thumb, not your fingers...fretting hand or picking hand?

My right picking hand. Lots of pinched harmonics and sweeping. I should have posted that already.
Quote by Bille joe6
Or you could go meet a girl and squirt som blood on her and say: I just cum'ed blood!

Or not.
I'd go for Y00p's ball of cotton wool trick then - if it was the strings I'd have though your fretting hand fingers would be in bits too.
Quote by zhilla
I'd go for Y00p's ball of cotton wool trick then - if it was the strings I'd have though your fretting hand fingers would be in bits too.

yeah my fretting hand is doing quite well. Its been quite a long time since i've played electric guitar so its weird getting back into the swing of things. For a long time i was playing mandolin so my fretting hand calouses are harder than diamonds.

I'm wondering if my technique might be not so good.
Quote by Bille joe6
I know that your girlfriend liked it when i did it to her

Stop it. It's not funny, and noone cares. Also, your e-peen does not grow, especially when you already tried to burn him once, then come back because 'you thought of something better'.

Seriously.

And to the TS, did you try the cotton thing? If the guitar was new, you should definitely have someone look at it if there's nicks on there.
Quote by Bille joe6
I know that your girlfriend liked it when i did it to her

Nah, she would never **** a retard.

I agree with Y00p, if it's a new guitar, take it to the shop and ask them to sort it out, if you've got sharp frets or excess metal on the bridge or something.

Might just be that you're using a heavy gauge, and the tension is cutting through your fingers? If they feel pretty tight, uncomfortable or/and difficult to fret/pick, maybe change down a point or two.
Quote by Y00p
Stop it. It's not funny, and noone cares. Also, your e-peen does not grow, especially when you already tried to burn him once, then come back because 'you thought of something better'.

Seriously.

And to the TS, did you try the cotton thing? If the guitar was new, you should definitely have someone look at it if there's nicks on there.

haha, e-peen owned!

As for the cotton trick, I'll give that a whirl when i get home tonight then.
At first I was going to say the cause is most likely a poorly dressed fret,because I've had a couple cuts from a board that didn't get enough attention in my day,but since it was your picking hand I'm kinda stumped.Y00p made a good suggestion with the cotton thing,I bet the culprit is more of a sharp saddle/bridge issue than a string issue.I've never seen anyone get cut by a string before,but I have seen a few people get banged up due to sharp saddles and other odd ball bridge things.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.