which strings are the best, earnie ball or rotosound or what?
i mean ive used earnie ball and now im on a set of rotosound 10s and they keep going waaaay out of tune which sucks in the middle of gigs
i often tune down to drop d, and have to tune back up at least once during the set so
are there any strings that are really good for staying in tune, or just generally nice to play? bearing in mind i play a variety of styles but im using an epi les paul custom, and i play mostly 90s era grunge hard rock stuff so i like a nice tone but i need speed and ease of playing too
so should i look for anything in particular?
thanks
No 'best', just what you prefer. It's not strange you have to tune up during a gig, but if you go out of tune real fast, like you can hear the difference between the start and the end of you song, it's time to check your stringing-skills.
I used D'addario for a long time but decided to try out something new. My last string change was to GHS boomers and I think I like them better. This is all with 10-46 gauge by the way.
LTD EC-500 - 18v mod
Roland Cube 30
DigiTech RP-7 Valve Guitar Preamp/Multi-Effects Processor
Quote by WtrPlyr
No 'best', just what you prefer. It's not strange you have to tune up during a gig, but if you go out of tune real fast, like you can hear the difference between the start and the end of you song, it's time to check your stringing-skills.

is there are certain way to string to ensure they stay in tune longer then?
Make sure your tuners themselves aren't defective. If so, you might have to switch them out with new ones.
Quote by wardyh

Thicker strings generally hold tune better...
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
There isn't really a 'best' string, there are many companies that make great strings. D'addario, elixer, DR, ernie ball, etc. all make great strings.

Quote by WtrPlyr
It's not strange you have to tune up during a gig, but if you go out of tune real fast, like you can hear the difference between the start and the end of you song, it's time to check your stringing-skills.

This, plus it may also be an issue with the tuners on your guitar.

Edit: Multiple people posted exactly what I said in the time it took me to post mine
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by wardyh

yeah get ur intonation fixed
The question of all guitarists. First off, Ernie Ball sucks. They go out of tune soooooo fast and rust if you even bring a little bit of moisture into the same room. D'addario are really nice, but if you want the tuning to stay, I'd go for some coated strings. They stay in tune and don't rust. Elixer makes some nice coated strings, but the coating was too waxy for me. I personally use DR Extra Lifes. They come in all the normal gauges and are really reliable.
usually a matter of opinion. I've always used D'Addario. Their heavy bottom, medium top strings are great for drop tunings.
I like GHS boomers a lot, but I use D'addario because I've had the low E in my Boomers sound dead a lot, like it had been used for weeks before it was packaged.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by wardyh

yes, strech your strings.
If you have a strat style or other vibrato bridge and you're dropping d mid set you're gonna run into serious problems as the springs in these bridges are set to hold tune at certain tension levels. By releasing tension to drop d the other strings get tighter to compensate for the slack as the tailpiece raises up from the body of the guitar.

Basically, if this is your problem, you're not gonna be able to fix it. The only solution would be to get a guitar with a hard tail bridge (like most gibsons) or keep a second guitar on stage that's always tuned for drop d.

But, even with a hard tail you'll still have some trouble due to intonation and neck stress changing as you change tuning, so the second option is definitely the one I'd suggest going with.
Last edited by gerardwayne at Mar 12, 2009,
i love love love ghs boomers. i have tried D'addario, ernie ball, and dean markley. and ghs are the best. they stay in tune for a long time and they dont rust plus there cheap.
Quote by wardyh

one way is to make sure you properly sting the guitar (duh)... but a lot of guitarist mess this up. When you restring, you should make sure to "lock the string in" by wrapping the string over the hole to where the excess string comes out, then wrap under. This will leave a loop over the excess string, the excess string, and the wrapped string from top to bottom of your tuning peg (sounds awkward, but I think you get my point).

Also, when you change strings, your strings will be loose with slack and "unstretched" one way to counteract this is by stretching the strings and removing slack because the tension of the string will eventually cause the string to stretch thus lossening the string thus lowering tension (this is a duh again when you think about it). After putting on a new string, remove slack by tugging up (don't over do it or you leave a kink and your screwed) on the string. You should generally tug @ a pint between the 2 pickups, and @ between the 2nd and third fret (be a bit more gentle here). Once you do this, you should notice a drop in your tuning, retune the guitar the appropriate tuning and repeat two or three times as needed. If you've got a floyd rose tremolo (or other) try alternating between divebombs and pulls to stretch the strings with the string tugging.

Hopes this helps!
I'm really getting sick of saying this...

USE THE SEARCHBAR!!!

And theres no such thing as "best strings" - its all personal preference. To me all strings are the same but other people swear by one brand or another.
Ive tried em all and the best for me is d'adderio xl's or the new dunlop strings wich are pretty nice.
ernie balls always break on me, i dont know why.
the rest just suck, go out of tune, break or just dont sound right, especially with tremolos.
If you have a floyd rose on your guitar get d'adderio, ernie balls are ok too but they dont last as long and break.
also i recommend using dunlop string cleaner and conditioner to make your strings last longer and stay fresh, clean and bright.
As for the most versitile guage i use 10-52 skinny top heavy bottom and i can do pretty much any tuning with them and they are stable
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Last edited by Harvesterofsrrw at Mar 12, 2009,
D'Addario seem to work the best for me. I can tell you they stay in tune and last quite a bit longer than Ernie Balls.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads