Page 1 of 2
is this a good idea! i mean i get kinda nervous leading up to a gig but alcohol calms me down and i find im more relaxed and more prone to jump around and enjoy it more, but ive heard it makes you play like s***!
i havent noticed tbh but can you blame me!
not too much is fine, try finding the perfect balance.

DRUNK IS BAD

edit: unless ur sam totman and brootaxzzxlzzz
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
it all depends on your tolerance...find that one spot between ****faced and buzzed, and play your ass off...
Or you could learn to handle yourself without relying on something external to 'calm' you.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
We jam at my buddies on weekends and have drinks... I find after a few it comes to me more naturally and it's easier because I am more relaxed about it... usually by the end of the night though I'll be getting a little sloppy
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
It will affect your coordination and reactions, even if you just have one, but if you don't drink too much you should be fine provided you're not playing anything too technical.
I dont get nervous on stage, but alcohol makes me feel more alive, and drinking too much makes me start swearing into the mic, which is cool....
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
heres the test, record yourself playing a song sober, than record yourself playing with the abount of ale you drink to be calm.
Quote by strat0blaster
Or you could learn to handle yourself without relying on something external to 'calm' you.

haha! its only for fun! chill out...
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
Quote by the agony scene
no its against the law your a child.

hes 16 and in the uk...

EDIT sorry i dont know the uk rules tho, and you are bolth in the uk so nvmd you know more than me
Last edited by selibucaz at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by selibucaz
hes 16 and in the uk...

yes where you legally become an adult at 16 and the drinking age is 18.
I pretty much have a ritual of 2 lagers before I go on stage. I get the jitters a lot to begin with, off stage and in regular life, so it definitely takes the edge off. Too much and I'll start saying stupid **** and mess up, though.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by Sad But False
DRUNK IS BAD

edit: unless ur sam totman and brootaxzzxlzzz

-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
Quote by the agony scene
yes where you legally become an adult at 16 and the drinking age is 18.

Err dude, no you don't. Try 'where you legally become an adult at 18'.

Now, doesn't it feel nicer when you're right?
Quote by EL2T
Err dude, no you don't. Try 'where you legally become an adult at 18'.

Now, doesn't it feel nicer when you're right?

True. But you legally pay adult prices at 16. Which sucks!!!
Well people react differently, but you should be fine if it's not too much. Remember you're not Fat Mike here, you probably can't get away with acting like a sloppy idiot up there.

Oh, AND remember that you almost always are more drunk (and act so) than you think/feel like you are.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

Last edited by toaster_poodle at Mar 12, 2009,
I'd suggest drinking just enough to feel that "buzz". Nothing more.
Like, 2 beers don't do anything for me, around 3-4 I might be starting to feel something. That's the point I'd go for.
This is the part where you are supposed to be amazed by the awesomeness of my sig.
Yeah, enough to give you a bit of dutch courage shouldn't be too bad. Depending on how much of a lightweight you are this could be anything, for me its probably 2 or 3 double vodkas.
As long as you don't play anything technical it's not that much of a problem to drink A BIT.
If you have to play complicated stuff, it will drag you down.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

No
**** that. 1 or 2 beers is fine but Drinking is for after the gig when you've done a good job. Otherwise you'll **** up and look like ****. Ever watched a dragonforce show? its embarassing that those guys are so stupid that they go get drunk with the speed/technicality of the music they play.
Smoking a joint to chill is one thing. Drinking actually affects your abiilty to process information in a much more profound way.
nothing wrong with a few drinks. As long as it doesnt hinder your playing, then all is good.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Highwaytohell
No
**** that. 1 or 2 beers is fine but Drinking is for after the gig when you've done a good job. Otherwise you'll **** up and look like ****. Ever watched a dragonforce show? its embarassing that those guys are so stupid that they go get drunk with the speed/technicality of the music they play.
Smoking a joint to chill is one thing. Drinking actually affects your abiilty to process information in a much more profound way.

Smoking a joint to chill?? Before a gig? Those better be awfully weak. Or else yrou even more ****ed then 4 beer. And about Dragonforce shows.

Yes it has a high technical level to play their ****. But they have you ever payed attention to how they sound within the hall? I've seen them several times and its muddy as ****. Dragonforce isn't really about the music. It's about going ape**** beyond the speed of light. SO much alcohol is however still silly, but I don't think a lot of people would enjoy Dragonforce and their superspeedscaleruns when they actually play them correctly, with a severe lack of studio effects.

Now to get on topic again,

1 beer should do the trick. I once had two and I could feel it in my system.
I suggest smoking 3 blunts and 3 mini bowl's of your finest weed, then take a few swigs of wine, and get some delay pedals, and make sure you have a color wheel near you with the lights off, make sure you have someone on keyboards too with crazy synth effects, two guitarists both with insane abbilities, and a drummer who can pick up on your material, and ofcourse a calming bass line to put things into motion, just remember to record your jam cause you wont remember it the next day. Me and my buds did that and we made a blues version of Lateralus by tool, and made some insane ****. you will not be dissapointed
Personaly, I can easily get through 3 or 4 beers on stage, so if I drink too much beforehand, I'm pretty pissed by the time I come off stage, so I just have 1 or 2 before the gig.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 13, 2009,
Personally I'm completely anti-drink before going on. It's disrespectful to your fans.
Drink afterward, not before.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by LeperAffinity
Personally I'm completely anti-drink before going on. It's disrespectful to your fans.
Drink afterward, not before.

You ain't actualy met any of my fans have you?
I'd drink with my fans

Certain people process certain substances differently you remember. Personally, Weed makes me much more calm and less nervous and a little less tense. I've never ever done a substance and played a show, I plan on keeping it that way for the most part becuase it's working damn well so far.
I rarely drink before doing a show, but that's because I'm also the singer. Alcohol dries out the throat, and you can generally count on losing the top note or two or so off the top of your voice if you've been drinking.

Mind you, I'm either lucky or just experienced because I don't really get nervous before going on. I just get all antsy while I wait to go on.... I hate waiting to go on.

As an adult, having one or two is no big deal, IMHO. If you're a kid, though....geez. If you have to drink to get on stage now, what's it going to take when you're older? Just chill.... get used to going up on stage sober, and use that nervous energy and transform it into performance energy once you get on. The fewer crutches you have to rely on throughout your life, the better. Best time to start NOT having dependencies is before you develop them.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Having a beer or two should be fine. Having a beer or eight shouldn't be fine. And +1 to chris, you shouldn't need to drink to relax.
Today I smoked up a bit and jammed to various Jimi Hendrix songs, and my god, I think it may have been the most intense guitar experience I've had. I sensed I was one with the guitar and just felt so much more in control, or in focus with what I was playing. It was the ultimate "in the zone" experience for me, and its happened before to me but probably not as good as today so that was freakin' sweet.
Not to mention I messed around with my amp and found probably the best tone I've ever heard out of it, so I think weed really helped me hone in on the best sound I could find.

I find that a buzzed state with either weed or alcohol helps me out quite a bit, although it can be harder to stay consistent instead of just improvising constatnly
Whilst quite a few people "need" the alcohol to get up and play, this is just nerves that are consistent with anyone getting infront of an audience who isn't used to it. Over time the nerves will drop, you just won't care that there's all these people infront of you.

Depending on the setting I'll have a drink or two. If it's in the middle of the day, or at some fundraiser I won't drink, as it's not a drinking atmosphere. However, if the gig is in a pub or a similar venue where others are drinking I'll have one or two beforehand, take a third up on stage and slowly go through them. You don't have much time to drink inbetween songs, so you can achieved a "workable" level of pissed, happy and relaxed, and quick sips inbetween songs can help maintain that level.

That said, it's better if you don't at all. Playing can start to get a little sloppy towards the end if you misjudge. Or something really bad/funny could happen (like falling over your guitar amp, slamming into other band members etc)
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by strat0blaster

lmao, this guy is a hardass.
You will have more fun with a few drinks in ya.
Don't do it. Maybe 1 drink is ok, but depending on who you are, 1 can lead to many more, and once you've had some alcohol, your playing can get sloppy.
Quote by HowerPower
lmao, this guy is a hardass.
You will have more fun with a few drinks in ya.

This ^.... from a guy who said this..... \/

Quote by HowerPower
I've been playing guitar for about a year, but it has always usually been by myself. I just recently played with a few people and I honestly didn't know what to do. Is there certain songs that work well when you first start playing with other people? any advice would be super.

Take that for what it is worth....

When you're drunk or high, in most cases, you only *think* you play better. Because your senses are dulled, you are more forgiving of bad timing, sloppy bends, and poor intonation. "yeah.... sounds great....." Erm... to someone who can't really hear or listen critically....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Page 1 of 2