I enjoy playing bass, but have nobody to jam with, so it gets kinda boring after about 25 minutes. I try to write good basslines or solo , but it usually ends up being the same patterns, but on different parts of the fretboard. I don't really like to learn other bands song because I want to be inventive. I know a little bit of theory and stuff, but all my bass riffs sound similar.

I was wondering what I could do to maybe spice up my playing or kinda ignite something in me that gets me more creative. I was also thinking about taking lessons, but am not too sure what they could teach me.

Here is anexample of some quick stuff. I know some people say listen to different types of music, but I do from Job For A Cowboy, to Rush, and stuff like School Of Fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo9-84TXz1M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emElb2-WEPs&feature=channel_page
Try learning some more theory, scales, arpeggios and the like. That will you give you more ideas at your disposal.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I think that learning other bands' songs leads itself to inventiveness. Then you can borrow bits and pieces to make your own riffs and be more diverse. IMO.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Get a better tone, or experiment with different EQ settings listen to other types of music, but I find it hard to write stuff on bass, imo. I would much rather have a song down by a drummer and two guitarists and then add my part to the songs than write myself. Hey! Thats what I do in MY band! But I did contribute a song or two entirely written on bass then added guitars...
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Drum loops are good, but what Id recommend is getting some simple recording software such as Audacity (which is free to download) and either writing your own songs using it or simply listening to yourself playing.
In creating your own material you get that extra incentive to push yourself to add freshness and diversity, and you dont know, you may come up with some cool stuff.
Listening to your own playing allows you to focus on the parts of your playing that you think could be improved, and really lets you hone in on what you want to practice.
i saw u on the youtube.....u just need more practice....u dnt play w/enough confidence. dude, own the neck/strings....manipulate....ur very "beginer" sounding, but u have potential
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Last edited by loinmute at Mar 12, 2009,
Learn other peoples songs. You can find out about new patterns and ways to play and that can inspire you. As get a drum machine or download some drum loops to play along. Also start listening to different genres of music. And lastly set some goals for where you want to be as a bass player in 3 month or 6 months ect. Its good to get forced and know what you want to do/become.
Quote by Taygunov
try getting someone to jam with

This.

Try getting on CraigsList in the musicians' section. It seems like every 5 minutes another ad pops up saying "bassist wanted"
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Ok, so I learned some scales and had some fun last night using them. I also played laying on the ground and it was kinda fun.

Someone said to set goals for myself, but what does that mean? I don't really know what to set as my goals. I want to take bass seriously, but I have no clue what goals to set skill wise in a certain time period.
Quote by yenkosc
Ok, so I learned some scales and had some fun last night using them. I also played laying on the ground and it was kinda fun.

Someone said to set goals for myself, but what does that mean? I don't really know what to set as my goals. I want to take bass seriously, but I have no clue what goals to set skill wise in a certain time period.

Maybe things like a technique you don't use (slapping or tapping or something, if you use every possible technique, I don't know), increasing your speed, being able to improvise in these scales you've learned, perhaps be able to in a key that you aren't normally used to using (to be more versatile), clean up a messy habit or something.

I don't know, but there are things to do.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by yenkosc

Take a good look at what it is you want to accomplish on the instrument. Techniques, song styles, timing with a beat, etc. Then take reasonable steps tward accomplishing those. For instance if you want to be able to play funk slap n' pop, start finding song standards and technique exercises that will increase your proficency. Practicing with a metronome is never a bad call either. It all really boils down to what you want the instrument to do for you.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Basically why did you pick up the bass in the first pace? What did you what to become? Then set your practices so that you learn / improve your skills to that.

Also go to CraigsList and look up drummers in your area like Garou1911 said. Playing with people can really get you inspire.