What usually play for testing? I mean, certain songs, scales blablabla..

And have you ever just felt showy so you just start shredding/playing a well-known hard solo?
Stuff like smoke on the water, stairway to heaven, sweet child o mine.

you know stuff that nobody know that well, so just you stand out from the rest.
i play the stuff i usually play to see if it sounds any different, unless it has a floyd, then i'll just go nuts
Basically anything no one knows, then you can pretty much fail and no one will notice
Or then you can play a well known song but PLEASE DO IT RIGHT!
Master Of Puppets, Tool's "Sober," and In Flames "Drifter." Those are my 'go to' songs to see how the amp or guitar responds.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Bends, Hammers, Chromatics (5-6-7-8), power chords for distortion. check your slides. play stuff with your scales. that way you dont look like a noob playing stairway.

i have gotten the urge to show off, though if you fail the salesman gets to laugh at you.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
Last edited by ozy!d!ot at Mar 12, 2009,
I usually play a scale across the whole neck from low open E to high e 22 or 24th fret. Chug some barre chords or power chords. Hit some harmonics. Pull out some vibrato of the various strings and then improv around a little bit.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I play a bunch of different patterns,scales,progressions,chords,and techniques to see how the guitar handles them.I also play the guitar under various EQ and channel settings to see how the pups and guitars tone respond to different genres.IMO just picking up a guitar and playing a few chords isn't a good way to test an instrument.When I play test I use it just as I would my own guitar at a gig,and I bring my amp with me so I can see how it'll sound through my amp instead of something laying around the shop that has different tonal characteristics and features than the thing the guitar will actually be played through if I buy it.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Simple Lines, Back in Black, Iron Man, etc. Also I would try to play some solo's or note riffs so you can get a complete picture.
Quote by Crazylegs11
Simple Lines, Back in Black, Iron Man, etc. Also I would try to play some solo's or note riffs so you can get a complete picture.

I'm not sure about Back In Black or Iron Man. That's a 1-way ticket to n00bdom. By that, I mean you'll pretty much be laughed at.

Same thing with Sweet Child O' Mine, Smoke On The Water, Stairway To Heaven, etc.
I just play stuff i made up, or i just improvise. Simple as that, cause thats what i usually do
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by Deicidal
I'm not sure about Back In Black or Iron Man. That's a 1-way ticket to n00bdom. By that, I mean you'll pretty much be laughed at.

Same thing with Sweet Child O' Mine, Smoke On The Water, Stairway To Heaven, etc.

Just play anything you want to play!

If your trying out a guitar play whatever you would at home.
well if the salesman is a dick
i crank up the volume to max and play harmonics
i just play songs that i usually play, & represent other songs i play well
- under the bridge
- voodoo chile
- raining blood
- simple man
- my songs & riffs
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
When I go into a shop, I'll play some scales/chord progressions at various tempos, some improv, etc but nothing ridiculous
Just don't be an ass and show off...
Quote by PREQUEL2SEQUEL
When I go into a shop, I'll play some scales/chord progressions at various tempos, some improv, etc but nothing ridiculous
Just don't be an ass and show off...

Exactly, if someone else is already playing when you show up, either let them finish their song or play kinda quiet to be respectful, because i've had ass's come in sit down beside me & crank it while i was playing something, so i gave them a f-u look and got up and went and finished and left pissed off.
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
The solo from "Lover's Lane" The chorus from a few different punk songs, a handful of stretching exercises that make me move all over the neck and this one retarded chord progression that my friend used to make me do.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
When I test a guitar/amp, I usually play:

21st Century Schizoid Man -- King Crimson
Lark's Tongue In Aspic (Parts One/Two) -- King Crimson
Layla -- Derek and the Dominoes
Light My Fire -- The Doors
Whole Lotta Love -- Led Zeppelin
Siberian Khatru -- Yes
Heart of the Sunrise -- Yes
Yours is No Disgrace -- Yes
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) -- Jimi Hendrix Experience

Or I just randomly improvise...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SAD MAFIOSO σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Originally Posted by jgbsmith
Guys, guys - put your penises away, we have a lady in the house!
I'd just check it out, play some scales, just generally see how it feels.

Although, if I HAD to show off, I'd get a wah and pull the Sweet Child solo, just for ****s and giggles.

If I could actually play it...
I improvise. There's this very nice cream colored strat at a local guitar shop. I plug it into one of those huge Boss Pedalboards that run into a Roland JC90. Depending on the pedal I try out and **** around with, I play different things. Most of the time though, I improvise though. Whenever I've got a Fuzz turned on and an octave pedal at the ready, I'll improvise off of voodoo child. The guys at the shop like it ^^ (one guy gave an approving nod) and some little 4 year old Indian? kid said that I was good. Great day for me in history.

btw I did make a thread titled "Songs not to play in a guitar shop" about a week ago. You can check that out.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6