Is the low E string supposed to sound exactly like the other d string? Because when a song is played in drop d the 6th heavy string sounds heavier than the next A one, and I'm confused... Thanks for the help!
The low E string will be one octive lower than the 4th (d) string. Just lower the low E by two semitones and your there.
Last edited by The Ax3man at Mar 12, 2009,
Oh ok, got it... I'll try to do it. So it has to sound like which fret of what string?
ya, the low E is an octave down from the third in drop D. The way I tune is by matching the 7th fret harmonic on the low E string to the 10th fret harmonic on the A string
If you have done it correctly when you fret the 6th string at the 7th fret it will sound the same as the open 5th string.
It's just like tuning standard, except use the 7th fret on the fattest string to tune it to the 5th string.

You can also use the harmonics on the 6th string 7th fret and the 5th string 12th fret. Match them up and you're set.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
It's just like tuning standard, except use the 7th fret on the fattest string to tune it to the 5th string.

You can also use the harmonics on the 6th string 7th fret and the 5th string 12th fret. Match them up and you're set.

Or, if you're using a tuner, just tune your guitar so the low E string is tuned to E at the second fret
Quote by ingames
Got it guys, thanks... It was really too simple :P

did you try tuning up the 6th string to sound like the 4th string? just curious after reading your first post again...