Hi,

i need your help over here! m planning to buy a mesa Preamp, but im not sure wether to go for the recto or the triaxis...

i imagine that the traixis is way better when searching for the mark sounds, but sucks in the recto ( phat mod, etc.)... it is clearly much more usefull while playing live if you are a tone lover and play versatile music (MIDI preamp)... However, it's price doubles the recto preamp price... :S

and since im not millonaire (yet ), i was wondering if its a good choice to go for the recto preamp...

Im a prog metal fan, and a tone lover... my main influence in what regards to sound is john petrucci...

Another thing, what about going for a mark IV head??

(im planning to buy a power amp if i buy the preamp, so perhaphs you can help me on that one as well!)

thanks for your attention!

ivan!
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
I would go with the recto man. You're gonna save some money and its still an awesome amp. As much as I love tone I have to convince myself its not always the gear that makes the amp awesome. Every amp has a sound limitiation, concentrating on what it doesn't achieve does nothing. Get the recto, save a buck, and just enjoy the amp.
I wouldn't get a rack system, unless you have lots of money to devote to it.
If you know you like the Mark IV sound, a la most of Dream Theater, then save up for one of those. They're going for really great used prices right now since the Mark V is on it's way.
Any chance you'd be keen to buy my Soldano SP-77 preamp? I'd flip it to you for $350US plus shipping (I live in New Zealand).

It's based on the pre section of the SLO, which is pretty much the benchmark for high gain. It also has quite nice cleans if you're into a warmer tone.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Talking to Erock personally, he stated the Recto preamp was garbage. Doesn't sound anything like a normal Recto.

Triaxis are well known as great preamps though.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I would go with the triaxis (especially if you are looking for Dream Theater tones; Petrucci uses one). The Triaxis can be found for under $1k used if you look hard enough. Also, if I am not mistaken, Red Lead 1 of the Triaxis is based off of the Recto.
Quote by colin617
I would go with the triaxis (especially if you are looking for Dream Theater tones; Petrucci uses one). The Triaxis can be found for under $1k used if you look hard enough. Also, if I am not mistaken, Red Lead 1 of the Triaxis is based off of the Recto.

i think i might go for these ones... however i have no clue which power amp im buying with this...

any help?? i know the 2:90 goes great with it, however i want to know of any other good choices!

thanks!
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

If you can afford a VHT power amp, they're the best.

Otherwise, look into Carvins or Marshall Stage 9000s.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
If you can afford a VHT power amp, they're the best.

Otherwise, look into Carvins or Marshall Stage 9000s.

ill check em out... any particular vht??

thanks!
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I have no idea, I just know that they're ridiculously expensive. The Carvins are also supposed to be good, but I've never tried one.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
I have no idea, I just know that they're ridiculously expensive. The Carvins are also supposed to be good, but I've never tried one.

fine!

thanks shadow 666!!!
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Anytime, brother. I wish I had the money to set up my rack, as it is I'm selling my preamp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
Any chance you'd be keen to buy my Soldano SP-77 preamp? I'd flip it to you for $350US plus shipping (I live in New Zealand).

It's based on the pre section of the SLO, which is pretty much the benchmark for high gain. It also has quite nice cleans if you're into a warmer tone.

You're selling your SP-77?? Didn't you just get it!?! How much for it shipped to the US?

TS, I'd go for the Triaxis, it's a sick preamp and can do tons of stuff, you won't be disappointed with it, the only thing that really rivals it in versatility and sound quality (in the same price range) is the Randall RM4 - Which is awesome.

As for a power amp, I have a Mesa 2:90, it's pretty awesome, but I still want to try a VHT. I'd go for a 2-50-2 if you can find one
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ivan_2894
ill check em out... any particular vht??

thanks!

I'm using the VHT 2/50/2. It sounds pretty much amazing. Headroom for days.
Quote by colin617

I don't think the Triaxis is based on the recto at all. More or less a combo of the entire Mark series.

There is however, the fat mod which gives a few of the tones a more recto sound.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Matrix- Yeah, I got it, but it's not really my thing (it's like the ultimate 80s rock/metal preamp though) and a decent rack will cost me a sh*teload to set up, so I flipped it for $800NZD.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
Matrix- Yeah, I got it, but it's not really my thing (it's like the ultimate 80s rock/metal preamp though) and a decent rack will cost me a sh*teload to set up, so I flipped it for $800NZD.

Damn, that's like the exact sound I want
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
You would be the last person I'd sell it to though, unless you sent me your Randall RM100 (which are f*cking brilliant). You've owned more epic amps than I've played.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
You would be the last person I'd sell it to though, unless you sent me your Randall RM100 (which are f*cking brilliant). You've owned more epic amps than I've played.

LOL
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
VHT power amps rule. Get one.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by MESAexplorer
If you look at the "models" onboard, they're all Marks.

"Searing Boogie lead" is the Recto. On version 2.0 of the Triaxis, they actually called it the Recto mode.