I'm considering buying an Epiphone LP Std and buying BBPros to go in it to replace the original pups. Should I go for it? I would use it to play mostly metal and the like. Some classic rock thrown in. If you have any SENSIBLE suggestions otherwise, please do tell
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
I have an epi-les and I'm thinking of doing the same.
cws92
Are you still playing through the FM65? If so,maybe a new amp would serve you better than a new guitar,since you already have a pretty nice mid range strat.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Sensible suggestion comin' up!

A new amp. A more responsive one, at least. Preferably a tube amp. You should really upgrade, and then... once that occurs, you can get whatever pickups you want to already improve your tone.

You could get pickups now, but you really won't notice a difference in sound, at all.

Just tryin' to help you allocate your funds accordingly for best possible results.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
You could get pickups now, but you really won't notice a difference in sound, at all.

I wouldn't say at all. They'd make some subtle difference. But I otherwise agree completely. The difference wouldn't be worth the money.

You already have a nice guitar and while a bolt on single coil guitar might not be your cup of tea, the best thing you could do would be to buy a new amp. Metal with classic rock on the side would probably be best served with a Randall RG50TC or for a little less money a Bugera, although I couldn't tell you what model.
These are tube amps and both very loud, but they're versatile and toneful (for the price) and they're responsive and dynamic enough for you to hear the dynamics in your own playing as well as the nuances of your guitar's sound.
Bear in mind that although they're relatively cheap they're still going to be pricey in comparison with your FM but if you can afford the Epi+Burstbuckers you won't have to save up for long.

By the way, the Burstbuckers are nice pickups but overpriced. Here's a suggestion.
Once you have your amplifier sorted out, take the scratchplate off your guitar and check the routing to see if a humbucker will fit in there. If so, slap in a good one (ideally a DiMarzio Breed) and you'll be absolutely set. If not, you should probably buy a good humbucker guitar - an Epi SG/LP or if you're tastes are a little more modern an Ibanez, Jackson or LTD. Humbuckers will get you the beef you probably want for metal but I should point out two things;
Dave Murray and Glenn Tipton. Both got great metal tones out of Stratocasters.
But anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.
Your top priority should probably be a new amp.
I am already going to buy a Bugera 6262 or 333xl, so the amp part is set
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

And yeah. I know Iron Maiden uses the hell out of those things, and it sounds great, but very classic rock-like. I also want something a little grittier

Then I do suggest looking under your scratchplate and checking to see if your Strat is routed for a humbucker. If so a DiMarzio Breed will fatten it up and give it all the girth and crunch you'll ever need.