what do I need, I have a computer and recording software, what else is essential?

I need a small mixer I can plug straight into my computer 2-4 channels. (C-H-E-A-P 50 USD)

SM57 Unless someone has a better idea.

Some cheaper drum mics maybe 300ish.

Whatever else I would need in my rack.

my budget is about 500
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
spend the extra cash on the mixer and get something with firewire, that way each channel is recorded seperatly onto your recording software, and you can fudge with the recordings afterwards.
Cream fan club member #11.
okay a 100 bucks, I still need reccomendations
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by P.B.
spend the extra cash on the mixer and get something with firewire, that way each channel is recorded seperatly onto your recording software, and you can fudge with the recordings afterwards.

how much does firewire stuff go for..

*googles*
I do that already, I like em but I can do better I hate sitting around for 4 hours and programming drums haha.

but yeah i can get away with out it for awhile. I don't NEED drum mics Right now
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Get a 4 channel interface and a few half decent mics instead of a rubbish desk and a load of rubbish mics.

Samson C03's are incredible for the money if not a tad noisy. Honestly. A couple of them and a 57 or two and your good to go.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Get a 4 channel interface and a few half decent mics instead of a rubbish desk and a load of rubbish mics.

I second this notion.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You're gonna want good stuff on the front-end; remember: garbage in, garbage out.

Thus, you want a nice 24 bit DAW, a good interface, and some good mics.
okay, SO how this sound.

2 SM57s -200
Alesis MultiMix 8USB Mixer-150
POD UX2? 150? used
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by Bostonrocks
okay, SO how this sound.

2 SM57s -200
POD farm? 150? used

I would suggest going without pod farm unless your amp sounds terrible. Although a not great sounding amp can really come alive if you know what your doing in your DAW. Instead I would look into a condenser mic or a good set of mixing headphones since you don't have enough for monitors yet. The mixer will work but personally I would just save a bit more and go with an interface. There is no sense in buying stuff you will soon replace.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
I have some monitors it all good

was considering POD farm cause it's just easy.

so lets try this.

2 SM57s
Lexicon Lambda USB Desktop Studio
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
If that alesis is the USB2.0 version then it's an alright shout but judging by the price it's not?
Check the phonic desks (USB2.0 or firewire only..usb 1.X is useless in comparison). I have one of their firewire desks for home use and it's surprisingly nice. Sample of the quality on my profile if you want a reference.

Why the UX2 as well as the little desk? If you want it for the guitar tones get guitar rig instead (software only as you have the desk to use as the interface).

Replace the UX2 with a nice large diaphragm condenser.

Actually. Why two 57's? I'd take two condensers over two of them any day.

I suggest:

ALESIS MULTIMIX 8 USB 2.0 MIXER - $250
Samson C03 Dual Capsule Condenser Mic - $100
Shure SM57 - $90
Cables - $RestOfBudget

If you can push to $600ish then get two C03's to use as overheads. 57 on snare/kick. Get you a useable kit sound as long as the room isn't aweful.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I don't sing and want to mic in two different places.

^ I like you're Idea I'll just take you're suggestion, I don't know that much apperantly
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I don't sing and want to mic in two different places.

^ I like you're Idea I'll just take you're suggestion, I don't know that much apperantly

Mic what in two different places?
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Bostonrocks
okay, SO how this sound.

2 SM57s -200
POD UX2? 150? used

Instead of the 8 channel, go for the 12 channel. I was originally going to buy it, but i don'y know why I didn't, Wish i did though.

The 12channel alesismultimix USB mixer has extra features also. It's like an extra 40-50 dollars i believe. I actually found the Alesis Multimix 8 USBmixer for more than the 12 channel one. If your in Canada, order from AxeMusic.com They have outrageously cheap prices, and are based in alberta, so there is no PST on orders, which causes them to be so cheap.

Might I also reccomend the Shure PG series? there is the PG57 and PG58, they are pretty much the entry-level SMs
the bonuses are the 10/20ft xlr cable, and Power Switches on mic. They are a fraction of the price to, at least $40.00 cheaper. Berhinger mics are actually really good. They are really cheap, but are very good quality.
..I was watching my death.
I wouldn't recommend any PG mics from what i've heard. And from personal I don't much rate behringer anything. Only good thing is their stuff is dirt cheap.
The SM series are ****e in the studio IMO (apart from a 57 on a guitar cab, which is still only alright) so don't bother with anything less.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
^How come our opinions are opposite from eachothers most of the time?

With the right mixer, PGs can sound pretty decent, along with Berhinger mics too.
I own a PG58, and I love it. It was my first mic, and it is very good. I don't know why people underrate them so much, IMO they are great. Also note how I said "Entry-Level".
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by timbit2006
^How come our opinions are opposite from eachothers most of the time?

With the right mixer, PGs can sound pretty decent, along with Berhinger mics too.
I own a PG58, and I love it. It was my first mic, and it is very good. I don't know why people underrate them so much, IMO they are great. Also note how I said "Entry-Level".

I have just never got on with anything behringer really.

As I say I have just heard negative things about the PG series and I assume they're worse than the SM series. I have a few SM58's and a 57. I only use them if I really have no other options.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
+1 Berhinger is not cool.

I will NOT buy a PG series mic, there quality is horrible. I've used them and they arn't that great.

2 57s for micing the cone and rim or on a 2x12 or 1 close and one 3ft back whatever it is I like the veristality.

I may not be up on studio stuff, but all I want to really do is record drum guitar parts to mixcraft (pro tools eventually). I sometimes use a rack also.

so I need a mixer, an interface, and mics.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Mar 12, 2009,
About the mixer, how does it work with the pc? I have Tracktion and magix, does the software just notice that a sound device is installed? and the software goes to the trouble of sorting the channels for you as well?

and this is only wire firewire or can usb2 do this as well?
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!