Ever since I have had more than one guitar, every Spring(ish) over the course of a certain day and only on just one day all of my guitars go sharp. In the Fall, on a single day, all of my guitars go flat. It has happened every year for as long as I can remember. It happened either yesterday or the day before to me and I have to retune all eleven of my working guitars. Subsequently, in the Spring/Summer my action is better than it is in the Fall/Winter.
As I have so many guitars and I have lived many different places and it happens to all of them at the same time, I have to believe that this is some sort of seasonal phenomenon.
So, I was wondering, did anyone else's guitars go sharp (as much as a whole note) in the past two days? I live and have always lived in the N.E. U.S.
Metal like the strings expand in heat and shrink in cold. I dunno but that seems like it would make sense cause I dunno what it else it could be.
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Quote by Mad Mike 829
Metal like the strings expand in heat and shrink in cold. I dunno but that seems like it would make sense cause I dunno what it else it could be.

thats what i think
Interesting, I have never noticed that. Although I am in Florida, and while it does get pretty cold down here, it is usually only for a couple of days at most, otherwise it is warm.
your house is defiantly haunted.

nah, i think its the whole temp change = tuning change thing.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Temp and humidity changes will do that to guitars.It's happened to mine recently with the higher temps and all the damn snow melting up in NY.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by DeadlyKombat
your house is defiantly haunted.

nah, i think its the whole temp change = tuning change thing.

I thought that too, but the temp in my house is always pretty much the same. Plus I wouldn't say it's warm out (it's been around 40-50 in the day the past couple of days). And no matter what the temp does after this day, my strings will all behave normally ( =usual tuning adjustments) until that day in the Fall when they all drop.

+when I say a long time (in orig post) I'm talking every year for over 25 years.
Last edited by Badorphan at Mar 12, 2009,
The ghost of foul tuning strikes again.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Last edited by gizmodious at Mar 12, 2009,
yeah that happens here in Michigan a lot, but not usually in one day, usually it takes 2 days for it to really get out of tune
Quote by SnooBag101
yeah that happens here in Michigan a lot, but not usually in one day, usually it takes 2 days for it to really get out of tune

Yeah! I can't tell the time frame of how long it takes but it's less than two days - but only twice a year.
Not the metal, the wood. The wood expands and contracts... thats why you should never leave a guitar near a radiator!
Is that the same day your parents turn the heating/air con on/off by any chance?
Quote by zhilla
Is that the same day your parents turn the heating/air con on/off by any chance?

HAHAHAHA! I am the parent! And no, heat's still on. In fact, they're all in the basement and I have a space heater down here and I'm still turning it on just like every other night for the past couple months. And remember, it's every year at about the same time.
Last edited by Badorphan at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by Badorphan
HAHAHAHA! I am the parent! And no, heat's still on. In fact, they're all in the basement and I have a space heater down here and I'm still turning it on just like every other night for the past couple months. And remember, it's every year at about the same time.

Is the space heater on all the time or only when you start to play? The sudden temperature change would definitely have an effect on your equipment. On top of that basements are generally damp even with a dehumidifier.
Quote by isaac_bandits
I had the exact same thing with all of my guitars... but not with my double bass...

Ok good. See, it's not just me.
Quote by cranium2001
Is the space heater on all the time or only when you start to play? The sudden temperature change would definitely have an effect on your equipment. On top of that basements are generally damp even with a dehumidifier.

I have it on for about an hour a night, but over the past 25 years, it always happens no matter whether there's a space heater, snow on the ground or flowers blooming, guitars upstairs or down, they all go at once and it's always sharp in the spring, flat in the fall and never happens in between. Once they shift, they stay that way until the next bi-season. It will happen again in October when they go flat.
Are you sure they're not being tuned for daylight savings time? Down a tone on Autumn, up a tone in Spring?
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.