okay, lets get right down to it. first and foremost, this is going to have a lot of questions. just a heads up.

background: i've been playing for a little over a year, and my playing is well, mediocre at best (although im told im good. ego boost ftw). i play mostly death metal type stuff (Annotations of An Autopsy, Animosity, Job For A Cowboy, All Shall Perish to name a few) but i am open to anything and everything that will improve my overall playing, i would just like to be able to relate it to my style.

here's my main problems:

1. I'm finding it rather hard to compose riffs and such lately. the ones i have always work just when i need them to, but lately they are seeming to be variations of the same exact thing. I don't know very many scales, and absolutely no arpeggios. Will learning these help much?

2. i don't know any music theory. Will taking the time to learn help me enough to be worth it?

3. I've been practicing with a metronome for a few months, but i still seem to have weird timing when i play, usually in 3/4 time. And my band plays usually in 4/4. that's a problem. Anything else i can do to help that, or is it just practice?

4. What else should i look in to that would help my playing, and that i could apply to my style of guitar playing? again, i'm open to pretty much anything and everything.
USE SEARCH ENGINE, do everything any beginner guitarist would, music theory isnt necessary but extremely beneficial if your trying to compose. just keep practicing
myspace.com/bloodshed516

CHECK THEM OUT
well in response to number 2.,
learning music theory is totally worth it if you would like to compose
Last edited by SnooBag101 at Mar 12, 2009,
Scales....you must learn scales. I say you should MASTER the minor first.

Actually, just learning the major or minor pattern is all you need to have all 7 main modes. Modes are just minor/major patterns played over certain chords.

Anyhow....most metal riffs are made out of the MINOR or MELODIC MINOR, and maybe Phrygian in more death metal (necrophagist).

There's very little difference in between them. Just one note, a raised 7th I think...which makes it sound classical...or "darker"...slayerish.

Also, learn different RIGHT HAND patterns....like triplets...chug-a-chug....and straight 4/4 chugging...chug-a-chug-a

You must get the palm-muting perfected. I prefer alternate picking riffage. I used to do nothing but downpicking when I worshipped Metallica back in the day...but I found it limiting.

Now, I'm not as fast downpicking...but I can alt-pick a lot faster and more accurate.
Quote by AtreyuOwnz

1. I'm finding it rather hard to compose riffs and such lately. the ones i have always work just when i need them to, but lately they are seeming to be variations of the same exact thing. I don't know very many scales, and absolutely no arpeggios. Will learning these help much? They will. Learn the major scale and minor scales and learn arpeggios all over the neck for each and every chord in the scale.

2. i don't know any music theory. Will taking the time to learn help me enough to be worth it? Yes. It will not hurt, at all, to learn theory. All you gotta do is take things a little at a time to understand them.

3. I've been practicing with a metronome for a few months, but i still seem to have weird timing when i play, usually in 3/4 time. And my band plays usually in 4/4. that's a problem. Anything else i can do to help that, or is it just practice? Practice in 4/4 Lol? Slow down whatever you're practicing in order to get it right.

4. What else should i look in to that would help my playing, and that i could apply to my style of guitar playing? again, i'm open to pretty much anything and everything. *cough*Blues/Jazz*cough*

Lol, it's because you can learn so many chords and melodies to apply to your own playing, and practicing a 12-bar blues can get you started in improvisation as fast as knowing 3 chords and a blues/pentatonic scale.

Responses in red above.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.