Hey,

Anyone aware of the 9V square batteries? well in the back of my Iceman I have one. Now I've had the bass roughly a year now, and am just wondering how often you are meant to change the battery?

I'm guessing you'll know when too, as maybe the sound will change or whatever, or it won't play through an amp.

Any info would be cool!

Thanks.
Ive been told that there's a distorted noise when the batteries are running low, but it doesnt make sense to me. Yes you would know when they need to be changed, and it depends on how much you play as to how long they last. Once a year is a pretty liberal figure for changing them, due diligence would dictate changing them before each gig.
Yeah, it'll get kinda buzzy/farty/weird sounding when the battery runs low.

The battery is there for one of two reasons. Either you have active pickups, which are pickups with a powered preamp inside for a more agressive tone, or you have passive pickups with an independant preamp which helps amplify the lower note range of a bass. Either way, when it goes dead you'll know. IMHO if it's been a year, go ahead and change it. Your tone could be diminished already and you just haven't noticed it. Either way it's good practice to keep a fresh one in there.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by the_underling
Ive been told that there's a distorted noise when the batteries are running low, but it doesnt make sense to me. Yes you would know when they need to be changed, and it depends on how much you play as to how long they last. Once a year is a pretty liberal figure for changing them, due diligence would dictate changing them before each gig.

What? My batteries eat out in 2 months, and I usually switch them every two weeks.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by PluckU
What? My batteries eat out in 2 months, and I usually switch them every two weeks.

Unless you are playing an amazing amount each day, something is wrong. I play approx. 2 - 3 hours per day and my batteries last easily into the 6 - 9 month length on both my Ibby and my Musicman.

One piece of advise I will pass on is that don't use rechargeable batteries. They are underpowered and not recommended by most manufacturers.
Quote by anarkee
Unless you are playing an amazing amount each day, something is wrong. I play approx. 2 - 3 hours per day and my batteries last easily into the 6 - 9 month length on both my Ibby and my Musicman.

One piece of advise I will pass on is that don't use rechargeable batteries. They are underpowered and not recommended by most manufacturers.

well i guess im playing bass 5 hours a day, 7-8 on weekend maybe
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
^ my bass lasts like 2 months with like 2 hours a day playing..and it's 18v so there's twice the cost

but according to Peavey customer service that's perfectly normal.
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
9months is pretty good, my yamaha lasts less than 2 weeks even if i use expensive batteries!!
Thanks for the input everyone.
Changed the battery today and I notice a far better difference
Cheers
Quote by Canadian_basser
Mine does that too/

Perhaps we need to write Ibanez...

Perhaps. Well, we might be better off going to wherever their headquarters is located. You ought to bring a bovine of your choice and we shall hold it hostage on the front lawn and make them give us whatever we want or else the bovine gets it. By it, I am referring to a nice massage. And by massage, I mean from dirt, and by dirt I mean it will be underground, and by underground I mean it will be dead. This will work, trust me, after all, I play an sr505.
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
My bass is like that. It means that it has active electronics. You have to change it every 6 months or so. What will happen is the noise will get distorted then grow quieter as you use it until you get no electric sound out of it. That's when you change it.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
To all the people posting rediculiously short amounts of time (2 weeks?!):

Make sure you aren't leaving your basses plugged in 24/7. When you leave an instrument cable plugged in, even if you aren't playing and your amp is off, it powers up the preamp(s) and drains the battery. Unplug your bass any time you aren't playing. It's downright silly for a battery to drain in less then 4 - 6 months.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911

Make sure you aren't leaving your basses plugged in 24/7. When you leave an instrument cable plugged in, even if you aren't playing and your amp is off, it powers up the preamp(s) and drains the battery. Unplug your bass any time you aren't playing. It's downright silly for a battery to drain in less then 4 - 6 months.

Says the person who can't afford batteries >.>
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
Quote by PluckU
Says the person who can't afford batteries >.>

Not at a rate of 2 a week. If you're replacing them that often you're doing somthing wrong or your instrument is broken. Period. I play upwards of 5 hours a day and I don't replace my batteries more often then once every 6 months.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911
Not at a rate of 2 a week. If you're replacing them that often you're doing somthing wrong or your instrument is broken. Period. I play upwards of 5 hours a day and I don't replace my batteries more often then once every 6 months.

Well I remember saying every 2-3 months. I find every two weeks is quite ridiculous
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
I feel like i should be playing more, i play for an hour maybe an hour and a half max, evreyday, were do poeple find the time for 5 hours pracrtise.

Battery, 6 months on a cheap assed one and a year+ with a good decent one.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by fatgoogle
I feel like i should be playing more, i play for an hour maybe an hour and a half max, evreyday, were do poeple find the time for 5 hours pracrtise.

Personally I'm lucky enough that my work permits me to bring my bass along for slow moments. That and I get a downright unhealthy little amount of sleep...

-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by PluckU
Perhaps. Well, we might be better off going to wherever their headquarters is located. You ought to bring a bovine of your choice and we shall hold it hostage on the front lawn and make them give us whatever we want or else the bovine gets it. By it, I am referring to a nice massage. And by massage, I mean from dirt, and by dirt I mean it will be underground, and by underground I mean it will be dead. This will work, trust me, after all, I play an sr505.

I'm in

edit: just so this isn't spam, I don't leave my bass plugged in, and tbh, I haven't played it much since I'm always grounded these days ):
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by Belaraldur
Hey,

Anyone aware of the 9V square batteries? well in the back of my Iceman I have one. Now I've had the bass roughly a year now, and am just wondering how often you are meant to change the battery?

I'm guessing you'll know when too, as maybe the sound will change or whatever, or it won't play through an amp.

Any info would be cool!

Thanks.

Change before every gig. If not every 6 months max. Case in point. I played a gig tonight and 50 mins before we were due on (during soundcheck) my 9V expired. Mad dash to supermarket required. i wouldn't wish it on anyone. Put a new one in a day before a gig and you're laughing.
Quote by Hammerzeit
Change before every gig. If not every 6 months max. Case in point. I played a gig tonight and 50 mins before we were due on (during soundcheck) my 9V expired. Mad dash to supermarket required. i wouldn't wish it on anyone. Put a new one in a day before a gig and you're laughing.

Ouch man.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911

leaving it plugged in 24/7 drains my battery in 2 days. Basses just vary, and mine just happens to eat batteries.
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
I play constantly and have had my Ibanez for two years. I haven't changed the battery once. Miracle battery?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Every time I take a battery out of my pedals, I chuck it in my bass, that usually keeps me going, and saves me money :P
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
I bought a bass from GC, took it home and played it. It must have been on the wall for months, people had played, there were a few dings, but that helped me get a better price.

Moral of the story:Battery was fine, I don't think I've changed it yet.

Two weeks seems excessive, but if they die, they die.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Ibanez doesn't use the most high quality wires for their starter electronics. check those for your problem.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I play constantly and have had my Ibanez for two years. I haven't changed the battery once. Miracle battery?

nope
passive bass.
2-3 months is still pretty excessive in terms of battery drainage. i bring 2 spare batteries where ever i bring my bass, just incase it runs out.