Right, well i am getting together with a guitarist i know for a possible new band in the vein of Periphery/Meshuggah/other tech metal-esque bands.

Only thing is, he is playing a seven string drop tuned to G.

As an owner of a 4 string, and no 5, i have been considering my options.

Obvious answer would be to buy a 5, and match tunings with him. But wouldnt a low G on a bass be unaudible in the absense of some 18" monster speaker? In a similar route, i could drop tune my 4 string to GGCF, with an octave between the bottom 2 strings.

Other option is to play the same octave as him. This would mean no downtuning, and no inaudible fart notes. Meshuggah do this with there 8 strings; the bass doubles them in the same octave.

So I was wondering, what would UG do in this situation? Also, any stories about ridiculous drop tunings would be great.
Quote by frigginjerk
how about, low to high: D G D G? or D G C F?

This
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Just leave your bass in standard tuning, or maybe go into D standard (D, G, C, F) just so you do have a low G open string. There's no point in going that low on bass, and even if you had a cab with an 18" speaker it'd still be hard to hear anything clearly, so it's not worth it. Honestly, anything lower than low-A standard on bass is pointless unless you have a really good speaker setup because it doesn't add to anything.
I play with a guitarist who plays in tunings ranging from standard to drop-C and I just keep my bass in drop D and a half (all strings down 1/2 step, low string dropped 1 1/2) and find octaves that work.

IMHO you should queue up some music that uses low tunings like that and jam along at home. Eventually you'll start to find tunings/notes that fit. Just experement and be open-minded in your approach and you'll figure it out.

GL man!
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I can't help too much (since my bass is almost constantly in Drop D), but I'll be interested in hearing your band. I love tech-metal.
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
I can't help too much (since my bass is almost constantly in Drop D), but I'll be interested in hearing your band. I love tech-metal.

The guitarist has some stuff up here.

Its pretty rough, but hey.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Just leave your bass in standard tuning, or maybe go into D standard (D, G, C, F) just so you do have a low G open string. There's no point in going that low on bass, and even if you had a cab with an 18" speaker it'd still be hard to hear anything clearly, so it's not worth it. Honestly, anything lower than low-A standard on bass is pointless unless you have a really good speaker setup because it doesn't add to anything.

There is a point to going that low. The reasons are one's own to decide if they are worth it. Heck someday I want to have a 4-string sub-bass and get a 21" cab. I'm not flaming at you or anything btw.

I personally like having the privilege of being able to go under the guitar's range. It will be harder to hear you if you are that low but it will also be harder to hear you if you are in the exact same range as the guitarists especially when they are using distortion.

EDIT: Basically you have a few options. Buy a new bass with lower strings, set up your current bass with lower strings, use an octave pedal, or stay in the guitarists' range.
Last edited by Greenday389 at Mar 12, 2009,
Why? Just why? Is A not low enough? I love dropped tunings, but thats ridiculous. I went to G# once and hated it, but thats probably because of my setup.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
imo, any music tuned lower than drop C, is just tuning that low to sound "hardcore" or "metal" or w/e you want to call it, simply because all they can do are generic metal riffs and breakdowns.

ka-ching.

thats just my opinion though.
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
dont play that kind of music.
is all the help i can give.
just imo though.

Why? because its the most talented stuff out there and your just deaf and stupid? or because your vagina hangs to your ankles, and you are angry with life ?
I guess that the TS should probably ask him this question:

"Do I like how lower notes sound compared to "these" ones?"

I personal love the low bass air moving past my flowing hair....and the sound of it too of coarse. Though I still go up to the 24th fret on my C string on some of my solos.
Oh gosh...yeah, unless you have two fifteens or an eight by ten, and at the VERY LEAST 300w in your rig, as well as a 35" scale bass, I wouldn't bother going down that low. That said, the purpose of a bass is defeated when it's tuned to the same octave as the guitar.

Pretty much, drop some cash on a serious rig, or raise the tuning. Drop G is dangerously close to "too freakin' low" territory. Mesuggah has thousands of dollars to spend on their rigs, as well as their own and others' expertly trained ears for tone. It's pointless to even try to go that low if you guys aren't at the professional level.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
imo, any music tuned lower than drop C, is just tuning that low to sound "hardcore" or "metal" or w/e you want to call it, simply because all they can do are generic metal riffs and breakdowns.

ka-ching.

what about a 5 string blind fuktard? may i call you blind fuktard? ok!
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
Quote by ScottyB724
Why? because its the most talented stuff out there and your just deaf and stupid? or because your vagina hangs to your ankles, and you are angry with life ?

#1 Is is not the most talented stuff out there.
#2 Don't swear, it doesn't make you tougher.
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies

ka-ching.

Yeah, it is just your opinion, and I don't know if you've ever explored any other type of music than what you listen to, but there are bands that tune lower than that for the sound, and aren't "hardcore" bands. GTFO.
And this deteriorated rather quickly.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
if u have to drop past D-tune or the 1/2 step tune, then you are officialy a bad/lame musician
Try adding more delay.
All this stereotyping has got to stop. It has no fricken point. What if standard for bass was drop G? What then? Exactly.
The Warwick Vampyre, which was built to cater the bearded Northern European ultra-low tuners is set at F sharp standard. Playing it at BP Live, it was kinda awkward because the strings were so damn floppy. By extension, dropping to low G would be similarly loose, making it difficult to play anything technical or precise. If you did want to do that, all I can think of is to use a 35 or even 36" scale bass, heavy strings, and if possible, to use to a four in line set of tuners in reverse. To clarify, rather than traditional Fender style, imagine a left hand neck on a right hand body. That arrangement of tuners will provide most string tension where you need it, rather than the three up, two down the Vampyre had, and is what Fender custom shop does when you ask for help playing in lower tunings. Whether you trust them or not....
Quote by telecastrmastr
if u have to drop past D-tune or the 1/2 step tune, then you are officialy a bad/lame musician

You hear that guys? Tony Iommi, Steve Vai and Jimmy Hendrix are officially terrible musicians

Ts, I would recommend Having at least one string on your bass tuned to G, or having your bass tuned to CGcf, If he's using GCgcfad as drop G. You may not be able to get the lower g, but you could still get a g
I find it amusing how many people are getting on here simply to criticize drop tunings without contributing anything.

Just because you don't prefer a tuning, that doen't make it less valid. It's a way to explore ideas that woulden't be possible in standard tuning. Hell, the guitarist in my band remembers in the 80s when he'd play in drop-D and everyone would tell him to "stop fooling around". Don't belie your ignorance simply because you don't understand, if we all played in the same tuning a lot of great music would never be.

tl;dr: STFU about how "lame" lower tunings are.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by telecastrmastr

This makes you sound like a complete idiot.

Just to make it clear; i made this thread to find the solution to a problem, not to be told how "lame" drop G is. Im trying to adapt to find the best way to play to this guy's 7, in the way HE has tuned it.

To all the people who contributed, thanks a lot. Im going to probably tune DGCF.
Quote by telecastrmastr

Ive seen you post this same thing before. Get out of my forum
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
Get a thicker gauge of strings. my band tunes down to A, and i have great tension with the bigger strings. they can be odd feeling at first, but now i Don't notice them
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Quote by PluckU
Ive seen you post this same thing before. Get out of my forum

Hey it looks like the pair that you begged mommy and daddy for every xmas since you were 8 finally came in the mail. are you loving them? Now get out of my forum.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by PluckU
what about a 5 string blind fuktard? may i call you blind fuktard? ok!

How about banned? I think you just earned that name.
Quote by watchingmefall
#1 Is is not the most talented stuff out there.
#2 Don't swear, it doesn't make you tougher.

Metal guitarists ARE the most talented guitarists around.

True story.

P.S. **** you lulul
Quote by xSacrilegex
Metal guitarists ARE the most talented guitarists around.

True story.

P.S. **** you lulul

No, they AREN'T. Look! A wild opinion appears!

Also, don't necropost.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.