Repeater+3 Songs

Fugazi’s album Repeater+3 Songs is my current favorite album, which is why I’m writing about it, even though it doesn’t really belong on this forum; however, some do call Fugazi emocore. But most people consider them Post-Hardcore, which is the label that suits them best. Emo or not, Fugazi continuously put out solid album after solid album throughout the late 80’s, 90’s, and into the 2000’s. I realize that they aren’t the most underground band, but they’re very influential and deserving of mention.

Fugazi was started by Ian MacKaye in ’86 after his band Embrace called it quits. He recruited bass player Joe Lally and drummer Brendan Canty to round out the line up. The band could already be considered a super group; Ian MacKaye is well known for being the frontman for the influential band Minor Threat, and Brendan Canty was the drummer in Rites of Spring, but the band became a certified super group when the former Rites of Spring singer, Guy Picciotto, began regularly visiting practices. When he was originally asked to join the band, his intended use was to be like the hype man in hip hop groups, just singing backing vocals and lead on a few songs, but mostly getting the crowd pumped at their shows. He began playing guitar after their first “album” 13 Songs (this album is made up of the EPs Fugazi and Margin Walker).

They became known for not only their music, but their ethics as well. All the members of Fugazi live a straight edge life style (abstaining from alcohol, drugs, and promiscuity). They are also known for being strictly anti-violence at shows. They actually kept envelops with five dollars in them on stage, and if a member of the crowd got a little too rambunctious the band would give them one of the envelops as a refund and ask them to leave. But on top of those two things, the band is best known for their DIY approach to the music business. All of their albums were released on MacKaye’s label Dischord for around ten dollars. All Fugazi’s shows were five dollars so they were cheap enough for anybody to attend.

Repeater+3 Songs is Fugazi’s first full length album. The band’s sound is a lot different than the member’s previous bands, Rites of Spring, Minor Threat, Embrace, among others. This band goes down smoother and is much more melodic. They’re best characterized by the magnificent rhythm section consisting of Canty and Lally. On top of that you have the chaotic and fierce guitar tones of MacKaye and Picciotto.

Both MacKaye and Picciotto sing, and there's a notable difference in their voices. MacKaye’s vocals are more aggressive and confrontational while Picciotto’s are more laid back. That doesn’t mean Picciotto sounds less intense; both singers sing with a passion that can only be felt when you’re listening to them. The songs generally reflect that difference, MacKaye sings the loud, aggressive title track, “Repeater” and sings the melodic song “Blueprint.” MacKaye’s songs would best be described as sing-along songs, while Picciotto’s are more abstract. They normally sing backup vocals and their voices complement each other.

“Repeater” is a good example of Fugazi’s musical diversity. This song features pulsing drums in an almost tribal beat, a dub inspired bass line, and loud guitar sequels during the verses; however, during the chorus the guitar sounds clean. Another classic Fugazi song on this album is “Song #1.” It’s one of the most “danceable” songs on the album; it’s upbeat and punchy. The opening track, “Turnover,” is one of the best examples of the more relaxed songs on the album; it is slower paced and less harsh.

Each member of the band puts their own stamp on the music; MacKaye and Picciotto with their vocals and guitar work. Also, all the songs are bass heavy, which is never a bad thing. Joe Lally is definitely one of the stand out bass players in rock music. Canty incorporates a bell into his drum kit, giving the drum parts more uniqueness.

This album is one of Fugazi’s better known albums. Other albums to check out would be Red Medicine and Steady Diet of Nothing.

Stand out tracks: Repeater, Merchandise, Blueprint, Greed, Styrofoam, and Song #1. All the songs are great though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Last edited by element4433 at Apr 4, 2009,
Good album and good band. I love Fugazi, Repeater or 13 Songs(I feel like an idiot, I just always say that because Waiting Room is the first song on the album) is probably my favorite album.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by fake_sk8r182
I was never a fan of Fugazi, more to do with the horror stories I heard about Mackaye than anything. Still a great album, good pick.

???

Great album and really good review Collin. 13 Songs is a great one too.
I've heard he is/was an asshole. Nothing really specific though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I loves me some Fugazi. This was the second album I got, after 13 Songs. Very good stuff. They have a great sound.

I also recommend In On The Kill Taker. I own it on vinyl and it sounds awesome.
I read a couple of articles a while ago about what was essentially his monopoly over the DC music scene during the late 80's. All because he was one of the few musicians with access to quality recording equipment. He was the Caesar of the scene...apparently. I can't really vouch for how true those claims are because I wasn't there, but my opinion of him was somewhat tainted regardless.
Fugazi is pretty amazing. I don't have Repeater though; I have 13 Songs and The Argument and I must say, they are probably a couple of the best albums I own. I would highly giving The Argument a listen, it is really really good.
This CD is okay, but End Hits and The Argument are where Fugazi really shines. Steady Diet of Nothing is alright also. I'm glad people are actually talking about this band though, I don't know anyone out of my friends who even has heard these guys.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Good album and good band. I love Fugazi, Repeater or 13 Songs(I feel like an idiot, I just always say that because Waiting Room is the first song on the album) is probably my favorite album.

Waiting Room isn't even that great. The Margin Walker half of 13 Songs is where it's at!

I have 13 Songs, Repeater (+3 Songs), In On The Kill Take, and End Hits, all of which are great. I really love the guitar work on End Hits, and Joe Lally's bass work always rocks my socks.

I still say Fugazi aren't emo though.