Hi all, Im trying to get a new guitar for a slash/page tone. I was looking at either a epiphone les paul '56 goldtop or an epi standard. I was going to get the '56 goldtop till I found out the pick-ups wernt cut for the job. But say I was to put in alnico pro ii pickups and save myself €100 or get the standard? I really dont know what to do and need help guys! cheers!
what's youre current amp? almost all the tone comes from the amp instead of the guitar.
get a nice amp.

the vox valvetronix will do nice to get a slash tone. guitar is of second importance.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
id try saving for the pickups

what amp r u using?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Now im gonna get a flaming but I got a spider 3 75 watt amp during the week as a birthday present...thanks for the help
maybe u could do some stuff with a compressor?
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
It'll honestly be hard to get THAT tone with a spider. Not trying to flame it, just being honest.

Back the gain WAY the heck off to begin with. Try to get as clear of a signal as possible.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by slashfan7243
Now im gonna get a flaming but I got a spider 3 75 watt amp during the week as a birthday present...thanks for the help

which means whoever got that present for you just listened to the salesman without listening to you first. you gotta tell whoever got you the amp that you gotta save up more money, then sell the spider and then buy a better amp (preferably tube).
thanks for the replys. I think I found a good setting but the guitar i have aint doing it any justice
Quote by slashfan7243
thanks for the replys. I think I found a good setting but the guitar i have aint doing it any justice

no, guitar only does minimal changes to the tone. in rating from tone from highest to lowest, it goes:
amp
pedals
player
guitar
Quote by slashfan7243
I have an epiphone sg special, maybe if i got a few decent pedals it would help?

not really. it's all gonna be mostly amp. all i can kind of suggest is an od pedal and an eq pedal
cheers man thanks for all the help. So Iv found out the amp is crap but what guitar should I get? thanks
Quote by randomhero93
no, guitar only does minimal changes to the tone. in rating from tone from highest to lowest, it goes:
player
player
player
amp
pedals
guitar

Fixed
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by slashfan7243
cheers man thanks for all the help. So Iv found out the amp is crap but what guitar should I get? thanks

i will repeat my self one last time.the amp is more important than the guitar. you can probably get a slash tone with that guitar on a tube amp. so don't worry about a new guitar. but if you REALLY want a new guitar, i'd say go for an Epiphone G-400 or a les paul standard plus, or a les paul custom. and a possible pickup swap would be pretty good too
Last edited by randomhero93 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by Felttoaster
Fixed

let me find out that the amp gives less tone than the player. hell, a noob can sound good on a very great amp with a squier and the best song he can play is a sketchy version of Smells Like Teen Spirit.
Quote by slashfan7243

NO!!!! Do you not get it!? Give back the amp, then get a tube amp, and i swear ur epi SG will sound awesome
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by John5rules125
NO!!!! Do you not get it!? Give back the amp, then get a tube amp, and i swear ur epi SG will sound awesome

thank you for repeating what everyone has said before.
Quote by randomhero93
amp
pedals
player
guitar

Typical... an amp can only amplify what it receives! **** in equals **** out, just louder!
Moving on.....
Quote by slashfan7243
Hi all, Im trying to get a new guitar for a slash/page tone. I was looking at either a epiphone les paul '56 goldtop or an epi standard. I was going to get the '56 goldtop till I found out the pick-ups wernt cut for the job. But say I was to put in alnico pro ii pickups and save myself €100 or get the standard? I really dont know what to do and need help guys! cheers!
To cut in and clarify something just in case any other people search this thread and get the wrong idea from OP's post:
  • The Goldtop has P-90 pickups. These most certainly aren't suitable for Slash-like tones.
  • You can't swap P-90 pickups for Alnico II Pro pickups, they're a different shape and would require the body to be taken to a qualified luthier to be re-routed, perminantly changing the body and leaving large empty gaps in the body.
  • They don't make the Epi Goldtop anymore anyway.
  • Alnico II Pro pickups will not help you get Slash's tone whatsoever. Alnico II Pros are simply tonally bland, very low output pickups which let the tone of the amp control everything. So unless you have his exact amp, Alnico II Pro pickups are in fact the worst thing you could use to get a tone like Slash's. All of Slash's tone comes from his amp. That is why he can play a BC Rich Mockingbird, a doubleneck SG and four different Les Pauls, and they all still have the same tone - because the Alnico II Pro pickups he uses are 'empty' tone-wise, and his amp dictates all of his tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 12, 2009,
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I think il just try find my own sound! haha Its a shame about the amp to be honest. my gf gave it to me and id feel really bad telling her that its crap,but anyway thanks for the help
Quote by slashfan7243
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I think il just try find my own sound! haha Its a shame about the amp to be honest. my gf gave it to me and id feel really bad telling her that its crap,but anyway thanks for the help

See, now that's what we like to hear. Your own sound.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by slashfan7243

this is what you should've done in the first place...
i wouldn't get the pickups because slash's tone nowadays isn't that good,if you want to get an appetite tone then your screwed because he still can't it back,
but just get loads of fuzz but with tone still coming through so it doesn't sound like a wasp in a jam jar
Slash uses AlnicoII-pro pickups these days (mind you, that's what he's been paid to say...standard endorsement procedure), but that's what was in his gibson and epi gold top les pauls that came out last year. Supposedly just slapping those in should help...but keep this in mind:

to get his "tone", or any artists "tone" for that matter, they are running their guitar into a vertiable myriad of rackmounts/processors/pedals etc in order to achieve their unique tone...the odds of anyone without having unlimited financial resources being able to replicate that tone is almost nil. My recommendation is do your own research, check out photos from gigs/eras you liked, and see if you find out exactly what the artist was using THEN, and try get as close to that as you can. With the advent of digital technology being what it is along with emulation products such as the line 6 toneports and PODs can really help you get 95% towards that tone without having to invest the tens of thousands that an artists rig would cost.

I personally use a Line 6 toneport GX fully upgraded with the extra amp and effect packs to get a tone that's close to the songs I might be playing by various artists. Honestly that's what I would recommend doing if your budget is tight.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by that guy on UG
i wouldn't get the pickups because slash's tone nowadays isn't that good,if you want to get an appetite tone then your screwed because he still can't it back,
but just get loads of fuzz but with tone still coming through so it doesn't sound like a wasp in a jam jar

okay so just because you think his tone these days 'isnt that good' that means you shouldnt buy the pickups?

grow a goddam brain.
Quote by randomhero93
let me find out that the amp gives less tone than the player. hell, a noob can sound good on a very great amp with a squier and the best song he can play is a sketchy version of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Ever seen those guitarists who can play any guitar plugged into any amp using any effects pedals and still sound like themselves? Yeah, they are the main ones creating that tone.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Slash's tone: Gibson '59 copy plugged into a wah and a distortion at some point and into a Marshall amp. Uses tube distortion (power amp)

Jimmy Page: Plugs basically into a wah and into a Marshall amp (with the occasional phaser, echo, etc.)

Basically, there are a few steps here.

1. Get a Les Paul (check)
2. Get a Marshall amp (not check)
3. Tweak sounds. Probably have to use neck pickup for sweeter sounds and bridge for the more hard-rock stuff.

Player contributes more to tone than the amp btw.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
I would have a heart to heart with the gf and take that amp back before it is too late. Just tell her you made a huge mistake and you want to get something that will last, and that you could pass on to the two of your kids. That will get her all stoked and weepy to hear you talking about your kids and she will drive you down to return that Spyder. Then take the money and the money you are planing on spending on a new guitar and buy a used JCM 800 combo and a OD pedal. Then you'll have more Slash tone with your SG than Slash himself could get out of that Line 6 with his own Les Paul.
Last edited by Chetbango at Mar 14, 2009,
you could get a multi-effects pedal, like a Digitech RP250, thats what i got for like $150, and you go to their website, and you can download patches for it, i got that runing through my amp which is on clean, cuz the pedal gives me whatever i want, its got distortions, delays, reberbs, amp models, cabinet models, compressors, noise gates, wahh, whammy, flanger, all kinds of stuff that i didnt even name,. me i got like 4 slash settings 3 jimmy page 2 jimi hendrix, it sounds amazing. i use it with my Epiphone les paul-100 with some gibson pickup covers on it, which made the tone warmer, and sound more beautiful, but those would run you like $45 just for the covers. when i play sweet child o mine i use my neck pickup the whole time, and a Marshall JCM800 or JCM900 with a GreenBack, or Celestion cab. you should really look it up. it does so much for me
its also my singer is such a bitch, she doesnt want to play ANY covers, only our own songs we made. im good at making songs, but come on maybe i wanna play jimi hendrix, guns n roses, or led zeppelin on stage you know?

ampexact

I learned this the hard way haha. I got my guitar back from the shop, plugged it in to find that it sounded so digital. The neck pickup rolled back sounds so muddy sterile makes me wanna cry . Its ok tho, I''ll either save up for a ceriatone 2550 or get some new pickups.
Marshall JCM800/900

'59 pups.
Alnico Pro II

Either of them would be good.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ