I bought a neck from Warmoth, beautiful woodwork but the fret work is terrible. I took the guitar to my tech for a complete overhaul, some routing work, fret leveling and a bunch of other stuff. He charged me a bunch of cash and in the end didn't do much. The frets are not level by any stretch of the imagination. Also This guitar has a OFR and came with some crappy helicoil type inserts for anchors(don't ask, another tech story), I bought the OFR pins(again) and I would like to install them.

First question. Can I buy a stewmac 8" long, 16" radius leveling board? Any issues with compound radius boards?

What's the best way to remove the helicoils and install the OFR anchor pins? Drill and fill with dowel then drill and install. BTW the helicoils are not straight up and down.

I would take it back and fix everything I paid for but he got my USA Jackson replaced after a three year battle, and did it for free. That alone was worth the price.
if you want to use the radius sanding blocks, youll need a 12 and a 16 ( assuming those are the raddi )

a faster and more consistent way would be to get a flat sanding block and attach some 320 grit sandpaper. that way you can follow the radius as it tapers consistently down the fingerboard. It also helps to sharpie the tops of the frets before you start sanding. this can give you a nice view of where your starting from. Ive tried just about every method of getting them level ive ever heard, and this one is the most consistent. nice and easy.

With the block, start at the top of the fretboard and do long zig zags ( broad side to side while going up and down ) with light pressure.
Quote by SFRmagnetic
if you want to use the radius sanding blocks, youll need a 12 and a 16 ( assuming those are the raddi )

a faster and more consistent way would be to get a flat sanding block and attach some 320 grit sandpaper. that way you can follow the radius as it tapers consistently down the fingerboard. It also helps to sharpie the tops of the frets before you start sanding. this can give you a nice view of where your starting from. Ive tried just about every method of getting them level ive ever heard, and this one is the most consistent. nice and easy.

With the block, start at the top of the fretboard and do long zig zags ( broad side to side while going up and down ) with light pressure.

Would that be an X pattern as you go side to side? Just trying to get a good idea.

Something like this be a good investment?
Last edited by Sin City Sid at Mar 12, 2009,
If you don't mind spending a little more money I'd suggest looking up the nearest shop to you that has a PLEK Pro machine. If you've never heard of it, you should have. I can't give you all the specific details, but the machine uses multiple sensors and a laser micrometer to level your frets, allowing ridiculously low action (that's a really basic and probably inaccurate description). Long story short, your guitar won't feel like the same guitar when it's done being PLEK'd. Trust me.
Fargen Olde 800 1x12 Combo
Ernie Ball/Musicman Axis Super Sport Rosewood with custom HighOrder Pickups
You dont want to use a radius block. I use one of stewmacs long fret/fingerboard levelers. With sandpaper taped to it. You want to go with the taper of the neck. I get really good results this way. I guess warmoth has good and bad days. Both necks I have gotten from them hardly needed any fret work.
Quote by properpat
If you don't mind spending a little more money I'd suggest looking up the nearest shop to you that has a PLEK Pro machine. If you've never heard of it, you should have. I can't give you all the specific details, but the machine uses multiple sensors and a laser micrometer to level your frets, allowing ridiculously low action (that's a really basic and probably inaccurate description). Long story short, your guitar won't feel like the same guitar when it's done being PLEK'd. Trust me.

Aren't there only 5 of those in the world? O.o

EDIT: Sorry for bumping this, I was looking for an answer to a question of my own, came across this thread, and just automatically replied. My bad.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Apr 19, 2009,
I use a sharpening stone like one would use to sharpen a pocket knife. Move it up and down the fretboad and not side to side. Grind it down until you see little scratches on top of all the frets and then go ahead and crown them. I like doing it this way because if you don't have a double action truss rod then it's not usually possible to get the neck completely straight.
Not taking any online orders.