hey guys, i have been playing around with finger picking for a while now and have learned 3 songs of that style (staind:zoe jane, beattles:blackbird, and queensryche:silent lucidity all great starting points for this style). i've also been working on a bit of song writing whit this style and have fallen in love with it, its far too under rated i think. do yall have any suggestions for tabs or chords to help me hone this skill a little bit more?
thanks guys.
dust in the wind.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
learn classical gas.

when i had to audition with classical guitar for the music department i did that song. its not to hard, i bought my first classical and became proficient at it in less than a week, and it sounds really sweet.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
On youtube, type peacejoytown on the search bar, he does tons of beatles fingerpicking covers, if you ask him, he'll give you the tabs.

EDIT: Oops. Guess he doesn't do that anymore.
Last edited by Ebucra at Mar 12, 2009,
likewise i have fallen in love with finger picking. some that i play that havent been mentioned yet are:

wake me up (when september ends) - greenday - tab on this site is good
broken - seether - tab on this site is good
spanish romance (romanza) - misc. (tab on this site is good)
bouree (Am) - tab on this site is good
apparitions - Matthew Good Band - i just made it up, but im working on a tab which i should post in the next few weeks (i never have time to tab)
needle and the damage done - neil young (not a real f.p. song but converts easily and sounds great on acoustic)

really if you look at any song that isnt straight strumming patterns it can be finger picked
Well, you want to get fingers that match your skin color, and make sure that matching fingers are close to the same size. Hope you find a good set.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
just work on playing arpeggios with your fingers. Try for instance playing a G major chord and use you thumb for the e and a string index for the d middle for the g etc. thats how i got good at finger picking. Then trying to incorprate that with something like Nothing Else Matters (Metallica) or In Loving Memory (Alter Bridge). Also Dire Straits, Creed, Jack Johnson, & led Zeppelin are good places to start.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau