Do the lower end Digitech RPs sound terrible or is it just me and my crappy Frontman 25R?

I picked an RP70 up off of eBay a few months back and played the settings and presets for a few days. I could never find a tone I was happy with. No matter what settings I used, it always sounded sterile and plastic-y. I tried it again with my friend's MIM strat and it still sounded bad. I much prefer the sound I get from my SD-1 and DS-1 that I got with my first guitar (should have gotten a Rat...).

So now the thing is collecting dust in my closet. Anyone else had a similar experience with this pedal?
It's both the Digitech RP, and the Frontman that are contributing to it.
But yeah, higher end RP's are okay.
Note that I use the word 'okay' very loosely.
They totally aren't worth it either way IMO.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Get a Boss Gt somethin.....i love em
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
RP's a TERRIBLE. I've owned a cheapo Zoom G1, an RP-50 of about the same price, and then an RP-300A (much more expensive). Sadly, soundwise, the Zoom beat even the RP-300A (wasn't nearly as versatile though).

Digitech stompboxes can be realy great.
Their multi-effects processors are never really great.
Quote by toyboxmonster
RP's a TERRIBLE. I've owned a cheapo Zoom G1, an RP-50 of about the same price, and then an RP-300A (much more expensive). Sadly, soundwise, the Zoom beat even the RP-300A (wasn't nearly as versatile though).

Digitech stompboxes can be realy great.
Their multi-effects processors are never really great.

+1

For cheap multi's I prefered Zoom
it has been from my experience the higher end RP's sound really good with SS amps but no matter what, sound like **** with tube amps.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I've had an RP250 for a while now, and I've been quite disappointed with it. No matter how I tweak it, and whether I play it through an amp or direct, and regardless of what guitar I use with it, it sounds very harsh. I'd avoid the whole RP line.
I have the RP500 and have to say that I have been quite pleased with it. I use it with a Randall RG75 G3 series amp and it compliments it well. Have tried on a Marshall JTM30 and my Bugera but it kinda defeats the purpose of the tube tone. I DO really like it with my Randall, can get some great tones with it for recording. On the other hand, the Boss and Zoom mulitefx units have not sounded great to me at all. I do like the Tonelab by Vox but they are more expensive.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Well the frontman series amps arent stellar in any sense to begin with. And no the low price do everything pedals usually arent very good. Their cheap for a reason.
AudioDNA2 on the more recent Digi's is much better I will say that. Because a really clean solid state amp takes pedal effects well...it's not that bad. Can't speak to the older models or what has what chip but if you want to mess around with phaser, delay, chorus, flange, wah, fuzz, etc, Headphones and USB - they 'can' be a good way to experiment with lots of stuff for under $150.

However, I fully respect what Tackleberry just said and I often make the same comments. The initial cool factor does wear off.
i see multi-effects pedals as being the ultimate practice tool, but thats just me

i believe most RPs have a built in metronome and drum machine too?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I had the RP50 for a short time, just for a toy.

But yeah, it sounds pretty bad, but it's a useful tool for practicing.
And if you ask me, the drum machine was worth the 40 bucks I spent on it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator