Hi,

I'm new to the forums. I have a Peavey Raptor EXP (cheapie :P) electric guitar. I probably will buy a new guitar in the future, but this one works fine and sounds good enough for now. I have a standard stock string set, and I want to play some heavy metal stuff (mainly Drop Bb) and I'm planning to get the guitar fitted and tuned with 13-56 gauge strings.

My question is, with these thicker strings, will the guitar still be suitable for playing stuff in regular tuning? Or will it be too heavy and bulky?

Thanks
Quote by ibzshredder
No.. I tried and the tension was huuuuuuuuge.

Let me guess, you had it in standard? I'm not surprised looking at your username...

Anyways, I use the Ernie Ball 12-56, the same ballpark as you. I got them strung on my SG which is in C#. What scale is your guitar? Is it like a LP or a Strat? But I wouldn't recommend going in standard with 13's. I OCCASIONALLY tune my SG up to standard, but it's so tight. You can do it though, but I would recommend 12's instead of 13's....
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
'Course it will be suitable for standard tuning man.
0.013s were around a fair bit before drop Bb tuning.
Jazzers use them in standard tuning almost exclusively.
It's actually be better in the long run because not only will it build up your finger strength but it'll sound a great deal beefier.

Btw the Peavey Raptor (the new version at least) is a pretty good guitar for the price, even if that's not saying much. You probably won't need to change it for a while yet.
He said standard. I had a a Jay Turser strat copy guitar stringed with .13's and they felt stiff even in drop C tuning.
It'll probably be quite hard to play compared with what you're probably used to, I was playing on some .013s on a guitar tuned to Eb earlier and it ate into my fingers like crazy (though I was doing a lot of bends, vibrato, etc). Got huge chunks of skin coming off my fingers now :x

So basically it'll still be completely playable in standard tuning, but lots of bends/vibrato might get tricky/painful :P
Last edited by pete-c at Mar 12, 2009,
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yeah the guitar is a standard E A D G B E (Fender strat) style Peavey Raptor.

Would 12's be suitable for Drop Bb? I want only what's necessary for Drop Bb, nothing more, nothing less. I don't want chunks coming out of my fingers, that would be a disaster
Oh heeeelll no. Unless you want to mess with your truss rod. Those strings like like sausages dude. I'd get Ernie Ball Beefys. Not sure what gauge...
Edit: ^he said he'd get it "fitted and tuned," which would probably entail the proper truss rod adjustments.
And they don't sound like sausages, they sound chunky but articulate through a mixture of mass and tension.
Beefy Slinkies are 0.011s and wouldn't have enough tension in drop Bb.

0.012s would be fine, but they'd fell a little slinky under your fingers in drop Bb. That said, that's not a bad thing and they'll play fine in standard so go ahead.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by HeavyFreak
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yeah the guitar is a standard E A D G B E (Fender strat) style Peavey Raptor.

Would 12's be suitable for Drop Bb? I want only what's necessary for Drop Bb, nothing more, nothing less. I don't want chunks coming out of my fingers, that would be a disaster

12's
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by TatarSalad2
Oh heeeelll no. Unless you want to mess with your truss rod. Those strings like like sausages dude. I'd get Ernie Ball Beefys. Not sure what gauge...

I use Beefys for Eb standard and I love the sound. Beefys are 11-54
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by satcre3
use lthb strings they will do the job

For Bb? Wuss.

I think a 56 will be ok, a lot of 7 stringers go as far as using a 70 for the lowest string anyways.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Thanks again. I guess I'll talk to my local guitar store about getting 12-56 strings fitted. Any particular brand that I should get?

Also, after a while, will going back and forth between standard. Drop D, Drop C, Bb, etc. screw with the truss rod and warp the neck? That would be bad. According to what I've heard when you go down to low tunings, it releases the tension and tuning it back up, tightening it again may mess up the truss rod. Not sure if this is really an issue with these massive strings though...

EDIT: And yes, they said that for $20-30 they would fit the strings, adjust the truss rod, springs, and whatever else.
Last edited by HeavyFreak at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by TatarSalad2

That qoute in your sig sounds great without context...

TS: Ive used Dean Markley 13-56 from Bb to Standard. The neck warped a little the strings were practically impossible to bend, but it worked for me, But yeh, 13-56's are good for Bb.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
No no, no aaaaand no.

56 guage strings (normally 13-56) I had on my B.C. Rich Beast, and even with it's 26.5 scale neck, it refused to tune effectively past D standard tuning. I could even then barely bend the strings...more of a rhythm writing guitar than anything. I now have 12-54's on it but I leave it in C standard or C#. Anything higher the intonation won't hold and the string tension is huge I'd be concerned about the neck more than anything.

Highly don't recommend for "standard tuning" nothing heavier than 11-49 for E standard should be used, and even that is a tight string tension.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Ugh....that doesn't sound very good. I've been looking at a 7 string guitar for this purpose, specifically the Ibanez RG7321. Anyone know anything about that one?
Quote by Demon_dave
No no, no aaaaand no.

56 guage strings (normally 13-56) I had on my B.C. Rich Beast, and even with it's 26.5 scale neck, it refused to tune effectively past D standard tuning. I could even then barely bend the strings...more of a rhythm writing guitar than anything. I now have 12-54's on it but I leave it in C standard or C#. Anything higher the intonation won't hold and the string tension is huge I'd be concerned about the neck more than anything.

Highly don't recommend for "standard tuning" nothing heavier than 11-49 for E standard should be used, and even that is a tight string tension.

26.5 is long scale, which means higher tension, so I'm not surprised.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hey, I have that same guitar, and I string it with 0.11-0.52's. I keep it mostly in Standard D/Drop C, but often I go down as low as Drop A# (or Bb). So far, it holds up fine down there. I also often tune it back up to standard, and while it's a little tight, it still plays fine.

The most I can say is that, from experience, you may need to give it a short bit of time to adjust to the tuning. Don't tune up too fast - try tuning up by semitones, get it nice and accurate, then keep going up until you're in standard.

Like I said, I have the guitar, and play a huge range of tunings with thick strings (I want to go even thicker maybe...unless I get another guitar that holds up to metal better) and the guitar holds up fine. Just don't go too crazy on it too fast is all. And you may need to do truss rod adjustments - in fact, I need to do that as it is.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Does the raptor have a floating trem bridge?

If so you're going to want to drop another spring in there.

If not, it should work fine as is. Bb is pretty low. You might want to look into a baritone in the future. IMO, it sounds better when the strings are pulled tighter over a longer scale than big strings on a shorter scale.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i use 13 gauge on my artcore. with some adjustments to the truss rod it does just fine in standard tuning. i don't do bends so i don't force the device.

i can have the strings lower than before and the sound is strong an punchy. i lost some treble though..