I have never listened to them, but they have put out so much music i have no idea where to start. I know petrucci is a genious and i want to start listening to them. can someone some songs/albums that would be a good jumping off point to start listening to them
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I hate that...actually I just hate anyone under the age of 16

Quote by RockGuitar92
Just get it cut a little. It will grow back. Besides why is it so important to look metal? That's just retarded.

Gear in profile
Well if you are a death metal fan or closer to more manly sounding stuff then you should start out with Train of Thought. For some reason people hate James Labrie, but i've gotten used to him and he is extremely good on Images and Words and Metropolis Part 2. Which I suggest you get also .
Awake and Falling Into Infinity are OK but not as good.
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
Metropolis pt 1 (song) and metropolis pt 2 (album) are quite good

Also, under a glass moon <3
YES! Under A Glass Moon. Still one of my top 10 best solos of all time ever since I heard it.
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
listen to the entire second CD of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. do NOT skip a song, that ruins it. they all run together, much like Pink Floyd's The Wall.

that whole CD is INCREDIBLE.

images and words is an all around amazing album, too.
Quote by wlcm2themachine
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

Quote by ChemicalFire
You sir, are a god amongst men

MY GEAR:
...apparently, i have too much. i cant list it without going over the character limit.
if you are more into metal, then train of thought is a good place to start, if your a prog fan, then probably images and words
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
I downloaded the whole discography a few months ago and i only listen to six degrees of inner turbulance and scenes from a memory so far which i absolutely love. They are great albums. It took me a while to get used to labrie at first. I found him too dramatic and a bit cheesy, but after a while i sort of got into it and i think thats the sort of thing they are going for anyway.
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by Shredder03
Do you just decide to listen to bands? Or do you actually like these guys?

thanks for the help
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I hate that...actually I just hate anyone under the age of 16

Quote by RockGuitar92
Just get it cut a little. It will grow back. Besides why is it so important to look metal? That's just retarded.

Gear in profile
If you are a metal fan maybe you should start with their last album Systematic Chaos, definetly not the best one but i think is the more accesible and the one who got a whole bunch of people into thr band. Its also a diverse album so hopefully it wont bore you. If that album didn't convince you, then give a try to Images and Words or Scenes From a Memory. It really depends on your tastes. DT is quite a versatile band.
Quote by nugiboy
I downloaded the whole discography a few months ago and i only listen to six degrees of inner turbulance and scenes from a memory so far which i absolutely love. They are great albums. It took me a while to get used to labrie at first. I found him too dramatic and a bit cheesy, but after a while i sort of got into it and i think thats the sort of thing they are going for anyway.

Putting emotion into music doesn't necessarily make it cheesy.
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
Quote by masturnate42
thanks for the help

and thanks for seeing the Recommendation Thread stickied at the top of the page, making this a useless thread.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Shredder03
Do you just decide to listen to bands? Or do you actually like these guys?

Wow you obviously have no common sense skills... Reading your sig you also wouldn't know talent if it hit you in the face...

Image and Words, Metopolis pt. 2, ummmm Systematic Chaos.... Good albums...
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
TS: Get Images and Words, then Octavarium.

Quote by Tapping_Ninja
Wow you obviously have no common sense skills...

I love irony.

*reported*

Take it to the rec thread.
Last edited by misanthropy_inc at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by misanthropy_inc
TS: Get Images and Words, then Octavarium.

I love irony.

*reported*

Take it to the rec thread.

Please explain the irony?
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
This thread need more Metropolis Part 2 love.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.