I've had this thing for almost a month now and can't get it to sound right. Looking for some suggestions on settings. This is my first tube amp and my prior amp experience is limited to low end 15-30 watt models. Before I bought it I couldn't find a bad review out there, now all I find are reviews about defective units.

I bought it online, which may have been my first mistake, (musiciansfriend) as I couldn't find it locally. THe box it was in was pretty beat up, however the amp itself looked fine.

Anyway, this thing has two channels with four modes and comes with a 4-button footswitch. I've never even used a footswitch so not sure what it does. I'm also using a Boss ML-2 pedal. It sounds better with the pedal running through the clean channel. Some times when holding a chord the sound crackles in and out.

For those who do not own this amp, there is a master volume with reverb, each channel has a level, bass, middle, and treble. The two overdrive modes each have gain knobs. I just don't know if I should bring it in to have it looked at or ship it back, looking for suggestions. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
YOu just need to know how to eq properly. And im sure the heavy gain on the amp sounds better than the boss. Try turning the Gain about 3/4 and cutting the mids to about 1/3 and boosting the bass and trebble for a Metal tone. Just think about it, the more you turn the amp up the harder you crank the tubes and the better it sounds. And remember to not push the gain on full, and maybe cut back on ain and add volume if its not right.
Hope i helped, also look on youtube for your amp!
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
I bet if you cranked the OD channel, it would sound better han the metalcore through the clean channel.

The footswitch lets you change between the channels of the amp. For example, you could be on the clean channel, then step on the footswitch, and bam! your on the OD channel.
Quote by jdmurrayz
Fap energy comes from the soul, not the body.
well, something i hope you realize is that distortion pedals are attempting to sound like the real thing, an amp distortion, so learn to use the amp distortion. i dont know how much gain that thing has, but make sure you mess around with the gain control (you dont need it above 8 all the time, sometimes 4 will do for metal on some amps), and also try messing around with whether the master volume is higher than the level volume, on many amps this can be critical to your sound. a footswitch allows you to switch channels and reverb and stuff on the amp by foot. so just hook it up into the footswitch jack on the amp, and youll be able to turn on the amps distortion like it was a pedal
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The RG50TC has a sh*teload of gain. Just keep playing with the EQ, it doesn't take too long to find a good sound on one.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^yeah, so i'd say start off with everything at 5, including level, and just control the volume with the master. then explore the gain range of both gain one and gain two, and see which one fits better and how much gain you want. next, for the EQ, just add in or cut out what's necessary. if it sounds too bassy, take out bass, etc... and when it comes to the level control, try turning it nearly all the way down and turning the master up, and vice versa
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try some of these out. It definitely sounds heavier through the pedal though, haven't been able to get it really heavy without it.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
I watched a few videos on youtube and the amp sounds a lot more distorted than mine. Will the amp run if one of the tubes is damaged? How often should I replace the tubes? Tube suggestions?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
hmm, maybe you should check in the back to see if all the tubes are lit correctly, if it sounds much more distorted maybe its their camera, maybe theyr using a boost, maybe your pickups, wait are you saying it sounds more distorted than your metal core or the amps distortion?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
It sounds more distorted with the pedal but the volume isn't as loud. It appears that the middle preamp tube does not illuminate, could it be faulty? I'm thinking about replacing the preamps anyway, not sure if this will make a difference.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
i also have this amp, the palm muting and chugging are quite muddy, need an eq pedal or overdrive i think.also should the master vol be higher then the OD vol?
I hate to say it, but I absolutely couldnt get a good tone on that amp when I had it to save my life.

the amp drowns itself in bass, like, more than in a good way. an EQ pedal might clear things up, but I found the only frequency that sounded good on the amp was the bass, and when you pull away the bass, your tone is thin, and totally brittle.

I found the best tone was on the clean channel, with the channel volume (not master), dimed, and an OD pedal. Unlike other tube amps mine sounded god-awful cranked. it sounded like transistorized clipping. the guy thought it might have been broken (it wasnt) when I sold it.

save up some cash sell the amp, I know im being harsh, and you probably cant afford it, I was there too once, but you wont be satisfied until you get something else.

I got lucky and some money came in litterally out of nowhere... thats how I got my stuff, aside from that Im extremely poor, so dont think I dont understand not being able to afford something else...

at least thats my 2-cents on it. As for getting new amps, theres a ton of people on here who dont know what they're talking about, and a select few who do. There are Solid state amps (albeit very few) just as good as tube amps (Jazz Chorus, some high end randall SS amps), and there are downright bad tube amps (probably more bad tube amps than good SS amps). Take forumers advice with a grain of salt, and try the amps yourself...

P.S.
Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MGs ARE BAD... you can trust everyone at UG about that.

P.P.S.

oh and TS, I posted an almost identical thread a day or two before I sold mine.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Mar 28, 2009,
To all owners of a Randall RG50TC amp, you should really upgrade the preamp & power tubes (2x JJ EL-24 power tubes, and 4x Tung-Sol 12AX7 preamp tubes). A speaker change is also necessary, please please please get rid of that Celestion Seventy-80 speaker (I went with a Celestion Vintage 30, but there are others).

Quote by ShrimpthePimp
I bet if you cranked the OD channel, it would sound better han the metalcore through the clean channel.

I agree, from personal experience.

There is absolutely no need for a distortion pedal once those upgrades are made, I can guarantee it. Those upgrades made A TON of difference, so stop giving this amp a bad rap!

Quote by MegaD
I've had this thing for almost a month now and can't get it to sound right.

This is how I felt, until I performed those upgrades. May I ask, what guitar are you using, and what pickups?
The fourth preamp tube is in a metal chassis. Just unscrew the chassis and you'll see it inside. All those upgrades (including getting a technician to re-bias my power tubes, $20) was ~$200, hehehe. The thing is, I got my amp for really cheap. It really depends on how much you paid for your amp. For ex: if you paid $200, then the upgrades are totally worth it.

Chances are that for most combos you're willing to purchase, you're almost always going to have to upgrade the tubes and/or speaker to get the best out of them. Celestion Vintage 30 speakers go for around $70-90. Preamp & power tubes altogether may go up to $100 (that's if you go for 2 power tubes & 4 preamp tubes). Check eBay for them.
My RG50TC seems EXTREMELY bassy and muddy...especially at high volumes. At high volumes, it either sounds like a beehive of treble or a mudslide of bass. Would these same tube upgrades help get rid of this?

I'm using an LTD Viper with EMG 81/85 pickups so I don't think my guitar is the tonal problem...
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX