Hi,

Bought a HSS strat that is en route only to find there is no 'S1' switch on this model of the strat. This worries me as all other similar models have this switch. Does this mean I won't be a be to change to different pick up configurations afforded by the S1 switch?

Thanks,

Gavin.
Yes, it does, but I've played with it and I don't think it's that big a deal. Which kind did you buy?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
no it doesnt. the s-1 switch is just another way of getting certian pickup combinations. ifyou have it on the bridge setting with the s-1 engaged its the exact same thing as doing the middle/bridge position without the s-1

hope that makes sense

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I bought 'Fender American Standard Strat HSS RN Sienna Sunburst'

I raised the issue with the company who sold it to me they said

"The HSS model does not come with the S1 switching but does come with higher hotter pickups. You still have a 5 way pick up selector and tone controls so theres still alot of different tones available."

What do you think?
Frankly if you need a humbucker in the bridge, the neck and middle will do single-coils just fine, but if you want that quack, you can pay someone $75-$125 to install S-1 switching or more simply, a coil-tap if you don't care for neck-bridge, neck, front bridge coil and all the other odd combinations S-1 adds.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Thats cool. I didn't realise you could get the s1 switching installed later. Thanks for the help.
you dont want to do that tho.

if you want extra tones, buy a push pull pot and split the humbucker, ect...

s1 switching is an expensive and confusing way to install, what's basically push pull pot options.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
S1 only comes on American Deluxes (both HSS and SSS) as far as I know, I like it, but I can't imagine it being all that great when you already have a humbucker.
well it also comes in the mex deluxe and couple of other models, but yeah there are other simple ways to get the same effect.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by timzee117
no it doesnt. the s-1 switch is just another way of getting certian pickup combinations. ifyou have it on the bridge setting with the s-1 engaged its the exact same thing as doing the middle/bridge position without the s-1

hope that makes sense

that's not true, with the S1 switch down the pickup combinations selected with the 5 way switch are in parallel rather than series. it gives a different, somewhat warmer tone.

depends what you want really, i have S1 switching on my strat deluxe but rarely use it to be honest, i like the 'classic' strat tones. it comes in useful if you need a 'jazzy' type of tone.

if it were a straightforward choice between S1 or better pickups, i'd go with the pickups.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix