Page 1 of 2
I'm the guitar player in the band Harlequin Shade Theory, were from a ridiculously small town in Kansas and love playing every kind of music, no joke. Check us out, tell me what you think and I'll do the same!Music
GOMEZ
Originally posted by Marroon5MustDie
It's spelled khoyaschotsii. Trust me, I'm a Native American. My name is Running Rainbow.
I like it. Keep it up. That's about it
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Vocals aren't my cup of tea, but I enjoyed your guitar work. Good luck.
guitar sounds awesome man. i really like the vocals in the chorus.

when it all kicks in at 3.25 on in the sand, it sounds sweet, then the picky part after that is awesome too. i like it! the delay is really nice.
Gear :

Michael Kelly Patriot Custom
Fender Strat HH MIM
Musicman Sub1
Eko Ranger
Yamaha APX 700
Ibanez EW
Marshall AVT Tribute 100w head
Framus 2x12 cab
Roland Cube 30
Hey I'm really appreciating the feedback guys, what do you guys not like about the vocals? To paddy 182 there's actually no delay on that part
GOMEZ
It's spelled khoyaschotsii. Trust me, I'm a Native American. My name is Running Rainbow.
Quote by gomezisastud07
Hey I'm really appreciating the feedback guys, what do you guys not like about the vocals? To paddy 182 there's actually no delay on that part

lol whatever it is man, it sounds really good.

some of the effects used in your recordings are awesome man. in cymatica, the kinda bass thing beasting from one earphone across to the other is quality.

i really like the songs, the guitar work is awesome, its minted how it goes from acousticy to full on metal lol.

the drums are pretty rad too. really good drum sound. the recording quality is really high.

well in man!
Gear :

Michael Kelly Patriot Custom
Fender Strat HH MIM
Musicman Sub1
Eko Ranger
Yamaha APX 700
Ibanez EW
Marshall AVT Tribute 100w head
Framus 2x12 cab
Roland Cube 30
Awesome sound guys. very moving music. I really like the vocals and your all very clean and precise. mixing is pretty good, just wish I could hear the bass more. Perhaps its my speakers.
Gomez-
thanks for the input in my band, drawing mountains! I agree with your comments entirely, and I think your ideas are totally valid.

your band is pretty intriguing. I like that you've done something different with your music instead of just a generic sound. Honestly, I think the guitar parts sound very mature and experienced. Do you have a lot of songs under your belt?
I would like to hear some more of the ass-whoopin' bass! I know it's just the recording, but I'd like to hear what he has to say.
"The Greatest Story Ever Told" -- You're taking some big risks here, and I think they pay off. The riff during the screaming part in the beginning-ish of the song is really cool. good job straying from the norm and making your own sound.
The vocals in your band are different, however they do not strike my interest. I think your singer would work on his range just a little bit; he definitely listens to Tool. The vocals make me think of Maynard in every song. Your sound could benefit from a more dynamic vocal style, but overall you guys are definitely solid.

Colin
Your music is ****ing dope man

The vocals fit, but they're not unique and I guess, for me, vocals are what I really look for. But **** man, he can scream great and his voice does sound good, it's just too deep for me. But look at the Chili Peppers started out, rapping and ****, it was different, so just keep doing what you love and the music will take care of the rest

The melodies are beautiful and intricate

you should check out my band

we're called In Fractions on myspace

www.myspace.com/infractions321
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
That sounds incredible and very professional. I wish you lived in Georgia so I could go catch one of your shows. Love the name, love the logo, and I love the music. Keep up the good work.

If you'd be so kind as to give my work a listen, I'd be quite grateful. The link is in my sig. One of them is to my UG profile and one is to Myspace.
All the feedback we are getting is awesome! Thanks guys for taking the time to help us out! Hopefully we'll have new music soon for you guys to check out. We'll Keep you posted.

Josh [Bass]
Harlequin Shade Theory
Ok, so this is how it is. The Production is amazing. Really really good. I can't wait to get production like that for my music!

The tunes are for the most part, good but the main problem is one minute there are some really intersting melodies, and instead of building on that you'll change to a generic thing we've all heard before. I don't know if anyone else feels that way.

Seriously though, although i wouldnt personally listen to this sort of music all too much, i will say it is amoungst the best i've heard on UG all considered.

I hope that is of some help.
I'll refrain from commenting on the sounds since my pc computers are currently junk (I get no bass on any song, gotta upgrade). For the most part I like the song structures. A couple of them seem to change genre's a bit sharply but I'll have to listen to it again later with a better set of speakers. The guitar work is great. The drum sound is pretty good, in a few spots I think he could have played a few things a bit different but all in all it works out pretty well. The only weak point for me is the vocals. They sound a bit too "droney" and the effects are a bit overboard.

All in all, it's really good. I'll give it a listen later and see if I can't be a bit more specific.

jody
Dude. I love it. Like, ahhhh. seriously, it's amazing haha. I'm tempted to put the song 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' on my myspace XD. I especially love the guitar work. I applaud you.
This is our last chance.
sounds amazing imo. i think the vocals work well with the music and the guitar is awesome
KUTGW
The Greatest Story Ever Told: I like the ambient intro/ending a lot. I feel there wasn't much transition from that part into the heavy stuff. I'm not a big fan of most screaming, so I won't judge that. The singing is good, but the chorus isn't really my kind of thing. The guitar solo is great.
Cymatica: It's a little too slow-paced for me. Your guitar solo is very tasteful but it transitions to the next part too abruptly
In the Sand: I like the intro, but the majority of the song has a modern rock vibe that I don't really care for. From a musical standpoint you do a good job with it.

So in short, your guitar playing is awesome and your band has a very polished sound. I just don't care for the genre all that much.
****, this is actually pretty damn good. The sound quality is amazing. What amp do you use?
I used both a marshall jcm 900 and some old mesa boogie head that I can't remember the make of. The mesa tone is unbelieveable but lacks just the right amount of distortion so that's why i use the jcm as well.
GOMEZ
That's some great stuff you guys have there, i really dig the acoustic work in Cymatica, and how it then goes into the distorted guitar, it works really well.

It's not normally the sort of stuff i would listen to, but i definitely appreciate decent musician/writing skills, good work. (Btw your tones are sick)

Thanks for the useful criticism in my thread :>
You guys really have some nice stuff going on here.
I really like dig your sound, it's just like a wall, in the good way of course.

I also like all the different elements you are able to put into every song.
Except from the screaming bit in some of the songs i really really liked it, you are one of the best bands i have heard on myspace in long time.

My favorite is The Greatest Story Ever Told, although In The Sand is a close second.

Keep it up!
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
I really like it, including vocals. I really, really like it. I really like your sound. Keep it up, hopefully you get out of that small town.

Check out YOU link in my sig, if you could.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Last edited by brandon369852 at Mar 25, 2009,
Where specifically do we pull this generic sound?
GOMEZ
The Gratest Story's chorus sounds really mainstream, I like it though, really catchy.
Actually now that Im listening to Cymatica, most choruses sound really radio friendly.
But having a mainstream sounds its not actually bad, it depends on what you are aiming for.
But I think the really generic part for me comes with the solos, they are kinda boring, but I find most shredders boring, so take what you can..
Well you criticized me a lot, and asked for some crit for your band so here it goes:

Clean parts on the beginning of the first two are cool, after that I was bored.
Thanks guys for the feedback again. Hopefully we'll have a live vid up soon so you guys can help us out by checking that out.

-Josh
HsT [bass]
Well I'll start from the top:
I really like the myspace page, good layout and design
as for the music It's not really my style, but I did enjoy how well you managed to blend the various styles, I really liked the transitions and blending of the clean and distorted guitar parts and I like the vocals alot to
only real thing I found that I didn't enjoy was that at some points in the songs the tone sounds pretty bad to me but other than that great job man, keep it up

c4c https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1107672
Last edited by Tele_Canadian at Apr 29, 2009,
I really enjoyed the music. I wasn't a fan of the vocals personally but on a whole 8/10 good job. I suggest perhaps getting a full time vocalist so you musicians can focus just on the playing. Although whoever screams should still scream.

Fav song: The Greatest Story Ever Told.

My opinion is that you guys should stick to playing music like that rather than the oddly-metalica/idk sound that you guys had in the song In the Sand. yeah drop that song and write a bunch more like The Greatest Story Ever Told
Sounding really good! The vocals were a bit jarring at first, but I actually kinda like it. It's slightly maynard james keenan in a way. The quick tremelo bits are awesome!
Quote by GoobaSun
so i just pulled my shirt up and there was brown stuff looking like boogers coming out of my belly button, I picked a piece and took a whiff...it smells like shitttttttttt! wtf is happening to me?

www.myspace.com/heroesbefore
That was actually pretty dang good. I like how you mix things up w/genres and such. Def good production quality, which is, sad to say, lacking w/the majority of new bands out there. The vocals are a bit different than I expected as far as tone for this style of music, but the melodies are pretty good, and that's the important part. Keep it up! I listened to all 3 tracks a couple of times

Crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119026
Page 1 of 2