I own a Fender Squire strat, nothing fancy, china made etc.

My next guitar is gona' be a les paul, but that's a ways off. So I want to upgrade my strat a little bit. My instructor recomended a guy he knows that can recoil the copper in my pickups to restore some of the guitars original sound. I'm wondering, what other worthwhile modifications should I make to this guitar. It's not anything fancy so I don't want to sink too much cash into it, but I'm just wondering what I can do to improve the sounds this guitar makes.

Thanks, peace.
change the pups.... simple....
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

how much will this re coppering or whatever cost, if it cost alot, new pickups would be better

how old is your guitar? you said it will restore your original sound
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
I'm not even sure how old it is since I got it second hand from my cousin many years ago. I actually barely played until this year, I started practicing like, five hours a day this whole winter.

I have the serial number (I think that's what it is) could I look it up somewhere?
Quality, Good, Excellence

Areté
Seven sound strat mod ftw!
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
A proper set-up will do wonders for your Squier Strat ... after refinishing, you can upgrade the electronics, shield all the cavities, use shielded wires ala Gibson, then buy some inexpensive PUs from http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html.

Squier necks, specially the heavily used ones get to become very comfortable. If you want to go all out, replace the bridge with the newer MIM Fender Standard Strat bridge ... it'll be a direct replacement and the trem block is heftier than the puny Squier trem block or even the older MIM Standard Strat trem block.

Quote by Ippon
A proper set-up will do wonders for your Squier Strat ... after refinishing, you can upgrade the electronics, shield all the cavities, use shielded wires ala Gibson, then buy some inexpensive PUs from http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html.

Squier necks, specially the heavily used ones get to become very comfortable. If you want to go all out, replace the bridge with the newer MIM Fender Standard Strat bridge ... it'll be a direct replacement and the trem block is heftier than the puny Squier trem block or even the older MIM Standard Strat trem block.

Hey thanks, but, what would each of those items accomplish in th oveall functionailty of my guitar?

Areté
well you could intoante it ajust the action and mabey ajust the truss rod if needed. if you get it rewired use shielded wire and use copper tape on the pickgaurd and around the inside. if you going to rewire your pickups make sure the guy uses more wire than before to get hotter pickups.
Quote by Areté
Hey thanks, but, what would each of those items accomplish in th oveall functionailty of my guitar?

well shielding the inside and wires will help to protect the electronics, and it will help remove buzzing and other abnormalities to your sound caused by bad wiring
new pups will give you a better, cleaner, crisper sound usually depending which you pick
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
I would spend the cash on nice tuners and a new nut before anything else.. and a setup(intonation). tuning is more important then sound quality
well thats more personal preference, lol, more info on what you like to do with it would help

lots of tremelo-use? tuners and a new trem would help, maybe a graphite nut

like to crunch with the rest of them? check out some of the hotter single-coils out there

lke to be pretty, oh so pretty? paint that sucker!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I don't know if anyone is still reading this but..

I took the guitar appart completely.

I bought some new tuners but they didn't fit which anoyed me cause the rep at the store knew what guitar I was modding. Oh well.

But I'm planning on doing a bunch of self mods like the seven sound combination mod as well as a few wiring fixes. I also want to replace all my wrires and pots. My question is, what gauge wire should I use? I'm not sure what gauge is in it right now, but I'll put in whatever will make it sound best and is shielded.

I want to get a humbucker installed in the neck pickup too so I've gota get a new pickgaurd (unless I cut this one) so I'm gona' wait until I get that to start the wiring since I don't want to do it twice.

PS My low E string always seams to ring open way to long and rattle when I pluck it open. Could that be the nut?

Areté
Quote by Areté
PS My low E string always seams to ring open way to long and rattle when I pluck it open. Could that be the nut?

Me tinks there's not enough tension. Is it not under a string tree? Is the groove in the nut cut deep? Is your first (or first few frets) raised? Is the truss rod not adjusted properly?
Quote by Areté
But I'm planning on doing a bunch of self mods like the seven sound combination mod as well as a few wiring fixes. I also want to replace all my wrires and pots. My question is, what gauge wire should I use? I'm not sure what gauge is in it right now, but I'll put in whatever will make it sound best and is shielded.

People generally use 22 to 24 gauge audio wire... someone confirm this.
Quote by trashbeast
I would spend the cash on nice tuners and a new nut before anything else.. and a setup(intonation). tuning is more important then sound quality

+ bridge.

pickups should be the last thing you change, because you don't want to invest money into a guitar that will not feel good, or will be poorly intonated. bridge & nut, tuners, pickups & electronics in that order.

this guy wrote up a little something about his old strat that needed upgrades, check it out
http://www.ceejbot.com/Music/strat_rebuild.php
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
+ bridge.

pickups should be the last thing you change, because you don't want to invest money into a guitar that will not feel good, or will be poorly intonated. bridge & nut, tuners, pickups & electronics in that order.

this guy wrote up a little something about his old strat that needed upgrades, check it out
http://www.ceejbot.com/Music/strat_rebuild.php

Actually the guitar feels graet. Apart from the low E string being a little bit ****ed I love it's playability. I've been told by a few musicians that it's an older model and is much better than the squires they make now. It just doesn't make the sounds I want.

Also, there's no big deal in relacing the pickups for cause, if I get a new guitar later and I want the new one from my strat in it I'm more than hapy to change it out. So I'm not afraid of a little work.

Thanks for the link. I was wondring what kind of bridge I shuld get. But I don't want a tremelo bridge I used to have a bar but I nevr used it and now it's missing. Honestly it's an aspect of guitar playing I could care less about, I'd rather have a sturdy bridge.

Areté
Last edited by Areté at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by jcrockstar122
dude who plays squier u poor cardboard box living homo

Alright, lets get this going....

1.You type like your five, type like a normal person.
Quote by jcrockstar122
dude who plays squier

2.A lot of people actually, there pretty decent guitars, if you take care of them.

Quote by jcrockstar122
u poor cardboard box living homo

3.If your going to insult someone, do it right. That's just pathetic. Try thinking out side the box.
For instance, your mother is like a vacuum cleaner, she sucks, blows, and gets laid in the closet.

To TS, i would suggest some locking tuners, shielding all your cavities, and new pup's.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
You type like your five, type like a normal person.

You type like you're five!

@jcrockstar122: Reported
Damn grammar Nazi

I just don't like people typing like there on AIM in here.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Areté
Thanks for the link. I was wondring what kind of bridge I shuld get. But I don't want a tremelo bridge I used to have a bar but I nevr used it and now it's missing. Honestly it's an aspect of guitar playing I could care less about, I'd rather have a sturdy bridge.

Thought about blocking it?
Quote by Areté
I own a Fender Squire strat, nothing fancy, china made etc.

My next guitar is gona' be a les paul, but that's a ways off. So I want to upgrade my strat a little bit. My instructor recomended a guy he knows that can recoil the copper in my pickups to restore some of the guitars original sound. I'm wondering, what other worthwhile modifications should I make to this guitar. It's not anything fancy so I don't want to sink too much cash into it, but I'm just wondering what I can do to improve the sounds this guitar makes.

Thanks, peace.

well new pickups would help. maybe get a new neck? thats pretty simple. or you could just completely change the electronics inside to higher quality parts. one thing you could do is re-wire it to have a tone knob work on the bridge pickup. helps take that "ice pick" tone down a bit.